KWH submeter

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Shewbedo, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Shewbedo

Shewbedo New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I built my own KWH meter. I bought a used meter on eBay for $27.50, meter socket can from Home Depot for $25, cord and 6-20 plug and receptacle...total cost $65-70. I plug in my level 2 Duosida EVSE to the meter and the meter to the 220 line I installed in the garage so I can meter exactly how much power the Prime uses. I found a full recharge when only .8 mile of range was left uses 6 KWH's. See attached photo.

Attached Files:

Chaughten, bisco and fuzzy1 like this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hialah Meter Co (Hialeah Meter Company), which aims at the RV park / campground / marina industry, has a variety of re-manufactured mechanical and solid state meters, starting at $16.50. Bases start at $13.50, though unlike that base from Home Depot, I had to bore another hole for the second pigtail. But depending on which styles one chooses, this source may not be any cheaper than eBay.

I bought mine several years ago, when prices were slightly lower. One meter (hardwired) is on the minisplit heat pump, a second (also hardwired) on the heat pump water heater, and a third (portable plug-in pig-tailed, very similar to OP's version above) for the clothes dryer.

One meter was diverted to my rooftop solar PV system for a few weeks, from when it was first fired up, through electrical inspection, and until the utility could install their official production meter on my base (standard Home Depot item).

When I finally get a plug-in vehicle, I'll sub-meter it too. Maybe a new meter, maybe repurposing the unit now on the dryer, which is there only temporarily to characterize our household use of that appliance. Though I'd like to keep monitoring for a few years after converting to a modern energy-efficient heat pump dryer. That upgrade is still merely a wishlist item, the market does not yet seem to be sufficiently mature for us to jump on that bandwagon.

#2 fuzzy1, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!(y)

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Is that mean the actual electricity usage was 6 kwh for almost 0 range battery? What about charging loss? Some estimate up to 15% of charging loss.