1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

KYB struts for 2008 Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by mcmars, Aug 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mcmars

mcmars Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I went on a camping trip across Colorado last week in my new/old prius (146K miles) and figured out the struts are shot. Lots of sway in corners and bobbing and bouncing with about 300 pounds of camping gear, food and beer. Not sure if I have ever bought a new used car that did not need new shocks, except for subarus. I don't think the old test of pushing on the 4 corners of vehicle works well to test struts as the spring still makes it look good even though the shocks might be blown out. I was hoping this vehicle would be good to go, but alas, once again I am buying strut/shockss for a new/used car. Better pray for my hybrid battery to hang in there, lol. Still better than buying new and dealing with the crazy high sticker shock and payments.

I am going with KYB GR-2/Excel G (same struts according to KYB). I went to KYB site and figured out I needed to order:

(1) front left strut/333389
    (1) front right strut/333388
    (2) rear strut/341322

and to do it right and change out all the old worn out accessory parts:

(2) front strut mount kit SM5215
    (2) front strut coil spring insulator SM5808
    (2 front boots SB102
    (2) rear mount kit SM5382
    (2) rear boots SB 132

I have changed out tons of shocks before, but am not wanting to risk an accident with a cheap rental spring compressor. I am going to have my favorite suspension shop in Grand Junction CO do the work. They are awesome and quoted me $350 for the job, have always treated me right and are fine with me bringing in my own parts. The parts are in stock on Amazon and I believe there is also a $50 rebate form from KYB I can use. The parts total about $475 shipped with UT tax, so total around $825. Hoping I got everything right and have an alignment scheduled for same day. Let me know if I am missing anything or got wrong parts?

2. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You can buy loaded struts which include springs installed, so no compressor needed.

But your list seems complete. The alignment is in addition to the $350?

Skibob and mcmars like this.
  3. mcmars

mcmars Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I looked into the quick struts, but they were quite pricey, about $160-$170 without tax. Rock auto had a good price, but then the shipping and tax jumped price to almost $600 for a set of KYB quick struts. I am 100 miles away from the alignment shop and was worried about wearing out my new tires. The alignment brings up total price anther $75. At least I was able to use up a big credit I had on the amazon card and hopefully the KYB $50 rebate works for me. I could have saved some money and skipped the mount and other accessory parts, but that would likely create problems down the road, so "do it once and do it right" is way I roll.

jb in NE likes this.
  4. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You have a fair price for the work, and if you are touching struts it's best to change out everything. Good plan.

mcmars likes this.