1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

L.A. Area Best Dealer? In the Market for '06

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by ckbarnard, Nov 14, 2005.

1. ckbarnard

ckbarnard New Member

I have read with great interest the responses to the thread Olcorral began on Bay Area dealers, but I live in Bakersfield, and it might help if I could show our local dealer there are dealers less than two hours away who are willing to deal, at least a little! And if they won't deal locally, I'm willing to travel to save several hundred bucks. What have PriusChatters learned in Southern California? :mellow:

ckb

2. thecan

thecan New Member

the best 'deal' you will find in LA is msrp... thats the bottom line. There was a dealer I researched in Orange County that was about 3-500 below msrp but that was toward the end of summer and for 05, im sure you wont find any deals below msrp anywhere for 06's though.

3. jsf

jsf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that the best deal is MSRP.

I found roughly half the dealers at MSRP and half over MSRP. The dealers at MSRP have waiting lists of what may be several months. I was on a couple of lists and told to expect delivery early January. I wanted to be in time for the HOV stickers but also get the tax credit that goes into effect in January.

At one dealer, my position on the list was not consistent (I think just due to not giving me accurate information up front) and at another dealer salesman said to expect Dec-Jan. When I went in and spoke with Fleet Manager, told to expect middle of next year.

Some of the dealers that go above MSRP do not have lists, just first come, first served when an allotment comes in. I was very much against paying above MSRP, but decided that the uncertainty and potential loss of the HOV sticker caused me to reconsider. There are many on the forum that are extremely against any dealer going above MSRP, but if all dealers in the LA area stayed at MSRP, all would have waiting lists of maybe 2-3 months. Because it was near the end of the month and I worked with the fleet dept, I was able to get a fair deal that I could live with, and I drove off with the package I wanted that day.

John

4. newshound

newshound New Member

The other posters are, according to my own checking around in Los Angeles, correct: all dealers here are asking for at least MSRP on an 06.

About half are trying for more... some with straight add ons of $2k to $4k. Others impose that I call "forced merchandise." Their over MSRP is say $1300 but they justify that with LoJack and chemicals they call "paint protection." Shop around! You don't need to go that route. In my view, the dealer is doing well enough for himself with just MSRP. And with the 2% price increase, you are paying plenty already.

Some dealers in the LA area want a $1,000 refundable deposit to get onto their waiting list. Smaller dealers don't seem to be asking for the deposit... but it could be a long wait for a car there (smaller allocations). The store where I plunked down my one grand last weekend told me I was 30th on his list. Of course I am no real rush, as I don't want the car before Jan 1 (tax credit time). He expects cars by mid-Dec. Realistically I figure it'll be somewhere around Feb or Mar for me.

Now does anyone have any idea how long the CA HOV stickers will remain available in 2006? I have a set for my 02 Prius now but of course these are not transferrable.

Cheers, Bob (Los Angeles)

5. jsf

jsf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In response to a PM, also including here and consistent with above posts:

The state will issue a max of 75,000 stickers for hybrids. The three that qualify are the Prius and the Honda Civic Hybrid and Honda Insight. When that limit will be reached is hard to determine, but most project early to mid 2006. The nearer-term milestone is when 50,000 stickers are released. DMV will evaluate based on information from CalTrans and I think an air quality organization to determine if they should go up to the 75,000 limit or stop at 50,000. While there is no indication they will stop at 50,000, there is no guarantee and governments are not always predictable.

Depending on the information source, anyware from 32,000 to 40,000+ stickers have been issued. Waiting for an allocation of 2006 models and the tax credit is taking a chance that the 50,000 limit will be reached.

John

6. ckbarnard

ckbarnard New Member

Since it appears there are no dealers anywhere close who'll take less than MSRP, yesterday I plunked down my $500 refundable deposit and ordered an '06 at my local dealer (Bill Wright Toyota in Bakersfield), who sells for no more and no less than MSRP. I have so far had a very pleasant experience with a nice, knowledgeable and no-nonsense guy named Scott Fuson, who patiently accompanied me and my wife while we test drove a Prius and asked lots of questions on two separate days.

Thanks to those who responded! I appreciate and am learning from your input! :)

ckb

7. olcorral

olcorral New Member

CKB,
    I'm glad you got to find a dealer that offers both a fair price and no BS.
    I have a question for you though:
    What have you decided on with you color, options and the fru, fruu stuff. Are you going to get an extended warranty at point of purchase? What about getting the paint and interior protection treatments (clear coat?
    You know they are going to hit you up for that when you take delivery.
    In other words: What cha gonna get out the door?
    Thanks,
    olcorral

8. ckbarnard

ckbarnard New Member

Good questions, Olcorral, and I've given them some thought, already, though not settled in all cases. I haven't decided whether to get an extended warranty; generally, it's like gambling in Vegas: it's weighted in favor of the seller, so it comes down to whether I need the peace of mind. The deal offerred through Priuschat makes it tempting. I'm more sure that I'll buy the maintenance program offerred through Priuschat, since that's stuff I know I'll want to do anyway and I think it works out to be less expensive in the end. I'll make up my mind before I go in to take delivery, and if I decide to buy those things, I'll see if my dealer can meet the prices available through Priuschat. I'll definitely decline any paint or other protection stuff offerred, like rust protection. They're really unnecessary, I think, and I can apply paint protection myself for much less, if I even decide I want to.

I'm not very interested in spending the money for accessories either, though I may go ahead and pay for the floor mats, since I like the idea they'll fit perfectly and match. But I'm not interested in the security stuff, the bumper applique (though I've never seen what that is), the first aid kit, tire locks, 6-disc CD changer (well, I'm interested, but not for $589), or the cargo net. I might get the collapsible cargo tote, though, as we've had a lot of trouble with stuff rolling around the back of our van.

As for color and options package, I told the dealer we'd look at anything except black, driftwood, silver or gray. When we can actually see the colors (which I understand may be available and Toyota.com next week), we may narrow that down. We like the red and the blue best, I think. Our first choice is for option #4 for the Vehicle Stability Control, but those are not being allocated here, at least not initially, so we may settle for #3. I would enjoy having the higher-end options, like navigation and leather, but not for the money they want. The car already comes with so many great things standard!

Thanks for letting me think out loud. :)

ckb

9. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  10. ckbarnard

ckbarnard New Member

Why? :huh: I went there online and found they have no Prii. So I can't figure why I should go there.
    ckb

11. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    ckb: did you check on Costco discount? Are you a member?

12. olcorral

olcorral New Member

Jack,
    What is offered by Costco? I am a member.
    thanks,
    olcorral

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Unless the rules have changed, you have untill 35,999 miles on the odometer to decide on a Toyota extended warranty purchase. The appropriate answer at time of sale would be "I'll give you an opportunity later to beat my best price on that".

14. ckbarnard

ckbarnard New Member

Yes, I checked on Costco discount and found that Prius is excluded from their program due to the high demand/low supply. I also tried several online services that supposedly will get you a dealer quote or the so-called secret price at which the dealer will actually sell a vehicle (as opposed to MSRP, invoice, etc.), and never have been able so far to get anything for '06 Prius. :angry:

ckb

15. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Costco has an Auto Buying Program whereby various dealers in localities where Costco has stores agree to sell cars to Costco members at a discount (which varies, too). See my thread (when I was "endoildependency") in the Dealers and Pricing Forum.

Many Toyota dealers rule the Prius "off limits" to the program. Some don't. A dealer where I live will give $750 off.

Costco (Cars): 800-800-5778...or website: costco.com.

16. jmurphy7

jmurphy7 New Member

Hey guys,

I got my Toyota Prius 06 package 3 at Frontier Toyota Valencia.

They are the few dealerships in the area that do not have a formal waiting list. You give them your number and they call you if you have it. Frontier was one of them.

However, if you go to Frontier Toyota, be forewarned-- there have been a few bad reports about the place here and in hybridcars.com. I only went there because Toyota of Long Beach, Santa Monica, and Hollywood all had long waiting lists. I was able to pay cash up front for MSRP, and I didn't have too much of a problem. The car I got had one mile on it.

The salesman at Frontier pushed and pimped the chrome wheels, tinted windows, extended warranty the entire time. My salesman, "Stu" seemed nice enough, but I wouldn't trust most of the people there to sell tricycles, let along a Prius.

It all started when they called me in the morning to tell me they had a 2 package threes, in white and red. They would not be delivered for a week or so, but I could buy the car now. I wanted the red and didn't want to wait for the other dealerships, so I jumped on it. Once there, a salesman asked me quite a few times about the wheel modifications, which I continually turned down. He then told me that "opps" the red car came with the wheel modifications, so I could either buy them or go with the white. I knew he was bluffing, so I called him on it, offering to leave and come back in a week or so. He then went back to his manager to see if 'something could be done" surprise, surprise, turns out they could move the modifications to the white car. They also wanted a $1000 deposit for the car, which I did give. Even more interesting, after I bought the car, the 10-14 day wait they told me about suddenly became a 24 hour wait, with the car arriving the day after I bought it. In all likelihood, they probably had the car there the entire time.

So, if you really want a Prius, you might go to Frontier. I wouldn't recommend going there if you're not paying cash or you don't know how to negotiate and be firm when buying a car. I researched for quite a while on this forum and hybridcars.com before going there, and I'm glad I did. I doubt I'd go there again, especially from the positive things I've heard about the other Toyota dealerships, especially the long beach, Hollywood, and santa monica ones, which are actually all closer to me.

17. thaight

thaight New Member

Best Place is Longo. Look up Derek in the Internet department. I ordered on November 30 and took delivery in mid February. Great Sales person. :)

18. savingtheearth

savingtheearth Junior Member

I went to Santa Monica Toyota. Had to put 1k down and wait for my choice of colors and options. They have a great sales staff and I was totally happy there. MSRP plus Lojack and paint protection which do add value to the car. When I picked up my car they were great as far as showing me everything about the ar etc. Good luck.

19. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

I also bought mine at Frontier Toyota. Not sure why but I didn't have any problem with add ons. The only thing extra that was listed on the sticker was floor mats. Yes they did ask if I want the Scottsguard and tinted windows but I said no and that was it. I liked my saleman Avo, but wouldn't trust the closer Brant.

I was told to show up on a Monday morning first thing and I could buy the exact color/package that I wanted. That Monday there were 6 of us all buying a Prius. I had to wait < 14 days to get the car. Car was fine with 2 miles on it.

Ken

20. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in the market for a Silver with Dark Gray leather package 8 if anyone knows of one. Second choice would be Magnetic Gray exterior with Dark Gray leather interior and package 8. Thanks.