1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LA Times: Toyota May Redesign Push-Button Ignition

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Patrick Wong, Feb 11, 2010.

1. vegasjetskier

vegasjetskier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a red pull knob (the one with the capital E in it) on my EV. So far the number of false activations is zero.

Sorry the pic is blurry.

Attached Files:

2. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My understanding is the thick all-weather mat slides forward to a point where the front edge gets goes over the accelerator pedal, but under the brake pedal; so increasing pressure and depression of the brake pedal also depresses the accelerator, the worst outcome possible.

Since no-one can see what is happening down in the footwell, the car continues to accelerate even if both feet may be on the brake.

3. a1a1a1

a1a1a1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You might actually try this in a 2010 Prius or reading about it before commenting. I tested this last night, and it works just as poorly as described. There is no instant shift to Neutral in a moving 2010 Prius. Parked/stopped is a very different story.

As for exaggerations, I can not exaggerate the truth, which is a sad, sorry state of affairs. However, I find many posters, more than willing to shove their head in the sand to hide from reality.

I'm not an enemy of Toyota, but a critic. There is a very big distinction. The enemy will do anything to ruin their opponent. The critic will look at the situation and report problems. In fact, I hope Toyota works toward change and does the right thing. What I see now is a Toyota that adopted some of the worst aspects of American corporatism and needs improvement. I sincerely hope that recent events do not deal a blow that impairs Toyota's ability to carry on its invaluable R&D work and to move forward with new and improved products.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Search for Bob Wilson's poll on the time to shift to neutral for the 2010 after the sudden acceleration complaints started. I think you will find most people found it shifted in less than 1 second.

5. CharleneN

CharleneN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This makes perfect sense.
    How terrifying.

6. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I've tried it multiple times in my Prius. Tonight in fact coming home at 65 mpg accelerating. Shift to (N)eutral takes less than a heartbeat.

Please you're not dealing with noobs here. I've put more seat time in my own Prius than you will in 10 yrs. I've tried everything with it, shifting to Neutral at multiple speeds, accelerating at WOT and jamming on the brakes, braking on ice, driving in snow.

I promise you this though. If I came to LA and drove your Prius it wouldn't have all the problems that you pretend it does.

You might want to pedal your hooey at some GM fanboi board where they know nothing. They'll lap it up too.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    According to the How Fast To Neutral poll, your two second claim is an exaggeration. Mine is sub-second.

I've done it dozens of times since the Runaway Toyota scare began. Try to shift to Reverse at street speed or higher, and mine instantly goes to Neutral.

1 person likes this.
  8. GrumpyAndOld

GrumpyAndOld New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ah, so that is the work around. Instead of neutral shit to reverse, and it will go to neutral. Good to know. Let's get the real information out there.

9. GrumpyAndOld

GrumpyAndOld New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You have to take everything DeadPhish writes with a grain of salt. He thinks he has driven hundreds of gen IIIs and they are exactly like his gen II. He claimed no toyota had brake over ride, and that is false. That the abs were the same between generation II and III (prius team says this is false, don't just believe me). Just ignore.

Fuzzy further down says how to get to neutral. Wouldn't have guessed by he seems to know what he is talking about. Go to reverse at speed and it will shift to neutral. Problem solved.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interesting:
    How did you time it? We asked back in November and the results were:

• ~1 second - 15
    • +1 second - 5
    I'll set up a video camera so it shows both the shifter and shift indicator as well as the noise. Then we can play it back and get an exact measurement of the "N" shift operation to "N" display mode. By using maximum acceleration, we'll also get the audio. My estimate of 1 second was based upon the decreased engine noise. I never thought to time the change in shifter display value.

I do agree that "R" is much faster but there is a human factors element. We can train ourselves to do this but we're a pretty small percentage of the population. I doubt if my wife would do it ... even after practice.

Bob Wilson

11. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

The fact is that I have driven at least 100-200 Gen 3 Prius'. Every single one of them acts just like my 2005 with 140,000+ miles as regards the braking feel and stopping power.

You simply are too new to the Prius' and don't have enough experience in driving them yet to understand this. As you know from being 'old', experience trumps all.... combined of course with knowledge about everything 'Prius' helps too...:D.

Yes, I confess to being old, and a know-it-all. It comes with the territory...and experience and knowledge.