1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Landlord won't let tenant charge EV

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by massparanoia, May 12, 2012.

1. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    San Francisco landlord won't let tenant charge electric car | abc7news.com

His reason? "No comment". The only semi logical reason I can think of is if he pays for the electricity for the outdoor outlets in the apt complex, but even that would be a stretch I think.

The tenant owns a volt, maybe it has to do with the house fire hoopla from before?

2. gmcneil05

gmcneil05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The guy should have kept his mouth shut until he was told to stop(if ever). By asking he made it out to be a big deal.

3. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Seriously. Or just ran the cord out his window.

4. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We don't really have any details, if the socket is on the wall that means laying the cord across the walkway to plug in the car, and that would be a problem for any landlord who just thinks "how can I be sued for this?".

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do you not think it would have been prudent for him to check with the Landlord BEFORE he purchased the car? :rolleyes:

I think the Landlord is right to be concerned, especially if there is no way to measure the electricity for that particlular car. It would also set a precedent and before you know it the whole thing could get out of hand if more tenants got electric cars; you'd have tenants trailing wires all over the place and no way of knowing who owed what for the electric.

Now if this chap has sat down with the management company first and discussed it like an adult then the turn out might have been different, but running to the press like this won't help his cause.

6. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Access to electricity when at home is one of the acknowledged
    limitations on using an EV for apartment/condo dwellers. They are a
    large percentage of the estimated 80% of Americans for whom an EV
    would be a workable personal transportation alternative.

The VOLT-guy is being disingenuous. As my late grandmother would
    say, "He was too soon clever, too late smart." Back when he was
    considering the purchase he probably recognized that he might not be
    able to use the plug, but dismissed the idea thinking that he would still
    be able to drive the car in an ICE only mode.

Strangely some EV drivers see any unlocked receptacle as an
    opportunity for a free-gimme. They don't feel that when plugging in
    anywhere they are taking something of value from someone else.
    They seem to think that their greenness somehow overcomes their
    meanness. Granted, at any one time it's not much but it is still an
    unauthorized taking.

If the guy was smart he would have bought a Kill-a-Watt meter when
    he bought the car, ~$60. The meter not only tells you how much
    electricity is used, it keeps cumulative totals; time, kilowatt hours used,
    etc. If you input the electricity rate, it gives the total cost. Simple. He
    could have included the amount in his rent check with an explanatory
    note. If his check was cashed, he would at least have a claim on
    something like "accepted use."

Being at the leading edge means that you're going to take some hits,
    even when you do everything right. Simply put, this guy didn't.

1 person likes this.
  7. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    the outlet is for the landlord maintenance use.

if something goes wrong at the outlet, and damages other peoples property, then the landlord is open to lawsuits.

the landlord is correct in his actions

8. Mx5

Mx5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can't believe that he would buy the car and assume that he would be allowed to charge. He does not know what else is running off that plug and could have caused problems. I don't think that getting the news involved is going to help your cause. Electric cars are not for everyone.

9. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You rehash one of life's greatest lessons; it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, and this is absolutely true.

I imagine the landlord doesn't want to pay for the cost, nor deal with any receipt of money related to it for a single tenant. I'm not really surprised at this.

It is highly silly to buy the car without figuring out a place to plug it in, though. Who here if we owned a Volt would simply start plugging it in at work without getting permission first?

10. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    oh man, now this is why we have violent crime in the present day......

Gullicksen says just the opposite: if the lease doesn't prohibit use of the socket, it's fair game.
    "That means they have the right to use the outlets without restrictions," Gullicksen said.

I guess you mind as well have every right to plop down your jacuzzi and stove in your parking spot,
    and tack up a disco ball to the ceiling and invite your friends over with extension cords a few miles long to start selling fresh electric.

I guess that is why the saying still says: there is no such thing as a free lunch
    It always has to be one bad apple to spoil the bunch.
    .....Im talking about the tenant union guy, haha have to laugh about that guy wanting to be publicly known.

It would be like setting up a water bottling factory at the park water fountain and
    thinking it would be alright...
    Or, from a fire hydrant...umm it was in my front lawn?

haha, dorks I tell ya.
    Anything for publicity.

1 person likes this.
  11. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You'd really think a tenant union spokesperson would have a clue. I'm not such a person and even I know his argument is absurd, for the reasons you mention.

12. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And landlords up and down the country are now consulting with their lawyers to update the tenants agreement to specifically exclude charging of EV's.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the chap who owns the Volt suddenly gets a siginificant increase in his rent ;)

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, 'stealing' electricity that 'belongs' to someone else is a crime, but expecting someone else's lungs to filter the pollutants from the air is perfectly acceptable? OK, maybe there are liability issues with the cord, but I think as a society, we've got this whole thing backwards. It should be the pollution that costs money, and the clean source of power that's free.

1 person likes this.
  14. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So it costs $1 a day to charge the Volt, which works out roughly $300 a year - assuming he doesn't charge every day. $300 is significant.

Now let's assume that all 15 tenants decide to follow his lead and all get EV's. That's $300 x 15 = $4,500 out of the landlords pocket.

I always believe the best way is to work things out together. If this guy had gone to the land lord and worked out costings to install charge posts with individual meters or at least a way of costing the electricity, then something positive may have been the outcome.

Once installed the landlord could even have used it as way of attracting tenants? Now they probably just think all EVer's are jerks.

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Amen

3 feet away from the parking space? not likely. it would be nose in and the space in front of the cars could be used as a walkway in some cases, but my experience says that too many cars nose in so close to the wall that no one chooses this route

does not always work. there is guy in Seattle who got the ok from his landlord to get charging station installed at his expense to plug in Leaf. but owners of building nixed the idea after he took delivery. so the guy currently only charges at public stations. he was going to sell the Leaf but would have lost too much money and during the 4 months he was contemplating that idea, he fell in love with the car so now he is looking for a new place

that is one possibility but i doubt that. it is probably there as a convenience for people to use when vacuuming their car and whatnot. what we dont know is how many sockets are on the same circuit as too many being used at one time could blow the circuit although i am guessing that neither building maintenance nor tenants would be out there at night doing much of anything

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, that's one perspective, assuming the the hypothetical situation of everyone driving EVs. But then, what would we save if nobody drove gas cars? What's a healthier environment worth? What's it worth to live a longer and healthier life?

17. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It doesn't justify stealing electricity.

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, OK, but I'm trying to look at the bigger picture, with a longer term view. From that perspective, arguing over who owns the electricity seems rather petty. Admittedly, in this particular case, the tenant didn't approach the issue very well.

19. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    But money talks.

I would think what judge would even consider a court suit for something like this....

haha, the one that gets paid!!

Stealing and dealing!

edit: You also have to look at it this way...
    It is fueling up a car, not charging your phone

20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Growing Pains...

In a way, I think this story is great.

Even though it is a mess for the tenant, Volt Owner and the Landlord, it is simply sign of the changing of the times.

Hopefully as EV's and Plug In vehicles become more mainstream and popular, we will reach the point where there is less "conflict" and simply more supportive reality.

Unfortunately we are not at that point yet. So you get conflicts over "rights" to a communal plug, and who pays what...

For me personally? I don't own a home, or a garage, and that is precisely why real consideration of owning a PiP never crossed my mind.

If someday the majority of Apartments or Condo's offered specific EV or PiP outlets for the benefit of their tenants and renters? Then that changes the equation.

But we aren't at this point yet, and stories like this one, are simple signs of growing pains.

I do personally think the guy should of checked BEFORE buying a VOLT. Citing, greener, cleaner air, and all the positives of owning and operating a VOLT is all well and good, BUT if he was counting on repeated and continued personal access to a community plug, to charge his VOLT on a daily basis, he should of checked out the reality of that possibility before buying the vehicle.

I think the Landlord does have the right to say, that plug in not available for his exclusive useage for charging his vehicle....it is a short period communal plug in...which anyone should have access to for short periods..all the time.