1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lane keep assist?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Runningkiya, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It'd be good for reining in the "signal optional" types, well, that is if it couldn't be switched off.

pilotgrrl and kithmo like this.
  2. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    You mean the Mercs & Beamers etc.:sneaky:

RCO, pilotgrrl and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. wfolta

wfolta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think it's helpful, but haven't figured out when it nudges and when it doesn't. About a third of the time I've felt it, and two thirds of the time I only hear/see the warning.

It could be tied to how actively I'm steering and whether I'm using a turn signal or not. Or it just might be me not feeling it.

4. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    turn signal deactivates it...

RCO likes this.
  5. wfolta

wfolta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My wife noticed that -- she's much more turn-signal-oriented than I am. So even in relatively little turn signal use -- though the car will help me to improve that -- I still don't feel actual steering correction much. So I think it must have something to do with whether you are actively turning or have turned in the last several seconds. Which is a smart way to do it if it's intended to mainly be a distracted/drowsy-driver aid.

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, the smart way is to use the turn signals!
    Other drivers are tired of second-guessing your planned course of travel :mad:

7. wfolta

wfolta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I always use them when actually turning. It's things like lane changes that I tend not to. Even then, if there's a car nearby -- say two lanes over from me -- I use them to signal my intention. No driver ever has to second-guess me. ;-)

And I drive defensively, adjusting my car's position to avoid issues. For example, I never linger in a potential blind spot, I change lanes when I see issues in the road twice as far ahead as the average driver -- based on comparing when I move to when others move -- and so on. I'm aware of where cars are around me and have for years adjusted my rear-view mirrors to eliminate any blind spots. I'm not one of those folks you don't know what I'm going to do.

#67 wfolta, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    pilotgrrl, RCO and Tande like this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have freeway on my way home where a ramp enters & joins to one exiting. You need clairvoyance to tell whether cars are going to lane change or exit. :(

Lane changes should be signaled in advance of changing. Some people signal as they are changing, which serves no useful purpose.

pilotgrrl, RCO and Tande like this.
  9. wfolta

wfolta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good example. In my case, if I were entering, I’d either find a safe hole and fit in, or use my signal if it’s going to be tighter. I realize that I should always use turn signals because I can be mistaken about where other cars are, but I really do use it proactively to signal others. Just as I’m one of the first (or only) folks to throw on flashers if traffic stops suddenly — I’m trying to send an unambiguous and attention-grabbing signal to folks a mile back. (I also move my car right or left a tad -- depending on the situation -- so that the flashers aren't blocked by the car right behind me.)

#69 wfolta, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    Tande likes this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a crazy driver today who used his signal in a tight spot and assumed it gave him the right to take tha spot. I almost hit them.
    I has 3 car lengths between me and the car in front at 60 mph. This guy in the left lane signaled, went in front of me, and then kept going right to the exit lane. :mad:

Just because you signal does not mean the way is clear! The signal certainly grabbed my attention!

RCO and krmcg like this.
  11. wfolta

wfolta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, I've never understood why people who immediately intend to exit want to squeeze through the small space in front of me rather than the large space behind me. Shows you how poor most people's spatial awareness is or something.

Tande, pilotgrrl, RCO and 2 others like this.
  12. Rodilyn

Rodilyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It doesn't really prevent an accident. It doesn't tug that hard.

13. Rodilyn

Rodilyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    a. You can turn the noise and the lane assist off.
    b. You'll be thankful when it keeps a teenager on their phone from entering your lane.

Tande and RCO like this.
  14. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow - that was an ancient post - but in hindsight, I'd still say exactly the same thing 19 months later..

But of course it can prevent an accident. "Lane Departure Alert with Steering Control" does precisely that.

It can wake you up - or wakes the driver of the other car about to drift into your lane. It definitely tugs, and on straight or almost straight roads will move the steering back in the direction of the straight and narrow - enough to wake you up if you're dozing off. It also beeps - enough to alert you again.

I certainly hope that I'm not driving on roads where cars, equipped with more and more safety systems - and the drivers are just turning them off. And, I'm sure their insurance companies will be hoping that too. I'm not sure what records are kept by a PRIUS's computer, but I understand that some cars do log instances of alerts and warnings given.

RCO likes this.
  15. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can adjust the strength of the 'tug' a little bit through the MFD. It can choose between weak and even weaker! :sneaky:

alanclarkeau likes this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For your second point I would agree if it worked like thi older system that actually could correct the steering. Toyota weakened the system for Gen 4.
    @Tideland Prius can enlighten us on how the old system worked.

17. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    The Prius does that for you automatically if you brake hard.

RCO likes this.
  18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They are referring to the Emergency Flashers, not the brake lights. They are sometimes called Hazard Lights.

LOL here is a rear view from an old VW.

RCO likes this.
  19. wfolta

wfolta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry, yes I meant "Emergency Flashers". You can get something of a clue of what's ahead if you see a lot of brake lights come on, but brake lights can also simply indicate a slowing, not stopping. In general, people (around here) only put on flashers when they're either going very slow or are actually stopped -- for example a car stalled in traffic. And on the Prius they're yellow rather than red, so they also stand out. I wouldn't use flashers in a normal commute backup -- I use them on an interstate where there's a sudden and unexpected backup.

(Personally, I'd require turn signals, and hence flashers, to be yellow so they do stand out from tail lights and brake lights, but that doesn't seem to be the US law.)

Prodigyplace likes this.
  20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sometimes we need to translate US speak for our English people across the pond. ;)