1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Large pothole vs undercarriage hv orange cable

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by WiscPriusc, Oct 25, 2012.

1. WiscPriusc

WiscPriusc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So I took my first huge pothole last night with the Prius C. It performed admirably - but there was a scraping noise. Upon inspection on return home, no damage found. However, it was the first time I noticed how the orange HV cable is attached from the frame. Compared to the Prius Liftback, the C's seems a bit more conspicuous or "vulnerable". Anyone else notice this difference? Thanks.

2. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You must've hit the mother of all potholes to scrape something. You'll end up tearing off half the suspension before contacting the HV cables. This is a situation where the OEMs actually do their homework regarding durability testing, lawsuit avoidance, and the like.

WiscPriusc likes this.
  3. WiscPriusc

WiscPriusc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It was actually a parking lot drain with a "sinkhole" area of maybe 5 ft diameter around it. I couldn't swerve into the left to go around as there was an oncoming car.

4. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Ahhh ok, that makes more sense. Those sinkholes can indeed be massive, and since their diameters are large and the whole thing undulates steeply, you can get into trouble with pretty much any car. I avoid those like the plague no matter what I'm driving [unless it's a Ford Raptor!], even if it means having to stop and wait for traffic to clear.