1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Larger backseats in 2010 prius for better accomodation for 3 carseats?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 3prius3, Feb 20, 2009.

1. 3prius3

3prius3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My husband is afraid if the baby car seat is in the middle, that our 2.5 year old will mess with the newborn all the time!

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Fortunately my kids are 13, 7, and 2 months. Having one on each side divides the two from fighting, and lets them check on baby if she starts fussing. Now when they start to squabble across the baby, that's a bigger problem the Prius can't solve ;-)

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No matter, the infant needs to be in the center position...period, no discussion. It is the only safe position for a child that age. The 2.5 year old might enjoy 'helping' with the baby. I absolutely would not put a rear facing age infant (up to 12 months) in any position except the middle unless you had to b/c of twins or some other serious extenuating circumstances.

If the hubby needs convincing a quick google will provide all the info you need to convince.

Love, your Prius Driving, Father of 3, ER doctor who's seen it all.

4. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well then stinking Toyota should accommodate and make the latch system for the center seat. As it is, you have to use the stupid seatbelt method which creates its own issues.

My 12 month old has been sitting in the passenger side rear seat in both our Prius and Outback because neither use the "latch" system for the center.....

Why would rear facing be different from front facing?!?!

Educate a new parent.

5. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Wha? Latch works just fine in the center position. There are 4 anchors total - you use the inboard two anchors from the left/right seats as your center mount point. My infant carseat base uses the center anchors on both the Gen I and Gen II Prius, and previously, the boosters uses the rear tethers for the same (there are three).

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You use the seatbelt and the tethers don't you?

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While the anchors are at the extreme reach I was able to use the LATCH in the center position for the first 3 years of my child's life.

I mention only the rear facing b/c children under 1 year are supposed to be rear facing. I think most laws say you can turn them front facing at 6 mo, but the AAP and all the car seat gurus assure us that rear facing is prefered until 1 year. The reason there is that a baby's head is huge compared to it's body (relative to older kids and adults) and their necks are dramatically weaker and have very little bony structure. A front facing child in a significant head on collision will sustain much greater risk of severe neck injury (for all intents and purposes the child can be nearly decapitated by the severe degree of distraction that occurs).

8. 3prius3

3prius3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It was my understanding that you were not supposed to double- use two latch connectors to one latch system. As in, yes, you could use the two inboard latch connectors for a middle car seat installation, but you were not allowed to install a car seat on either side, because it was doubling up ( so you'd use the seatbelt for the outside car seats). I will have to read the latch installation method again!!!

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that is technically correct...though I admit to double latching.

10. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My car has two anchors in the center, but they are designed for the passenger and driver rear seats. The manuel actually says not to use the Latch anchors if you plan on putting the car seat in the middle. The anchors are too far apart from each other to safely work in the event of an accident. It says specifically to use the seatbelt in the center position. In fact, the fire department here says told me that was a major misconception and one of the main reasons most car seats were installed incorrectly.

11. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That is correct. Furthermore the manual states that the two "center" latches are too far apart for use as a center position. They are designed for either back pasenger or back driver positions.

Quite frankly I'd rather follow the manuel then insisting on doing somthing my own way.....

12. 3prius3

3prius3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hmmm, I guess half of us are putting our car seats in wrong. I had a trained-in-car seat installation California highway patrol officer install the infant car seat base in the middle of our jeep liberty back in the day in the middle, with latch system. hmmmmm

13. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In the case of our infant car seat base, the center position latch points work just fine in both vehicles, and do not seem too wide. If anything, the extra width offers some lateral stability. I could imagine, however, a larger seat making a difference and we'll have to re-evaluate this when we switch to the Britax next year.

I don't plan to be in a position to double latch in any event. I could see where doing this may exceed the planned/intended loads on the anchors.

14. 3prius3

3prius3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't double latch either, although I wonder why most makers don't include a third latch system?

15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I am thinking up the wrong branch of the tree, what is this latch? I thought you were talking about the things on the back of the back seat where the strap for the child seat engages?
    All child restraint seats are held in with the seatbelt and the tether strap here.

16. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hmmm.. You sure there aren't four metal latches under your backseat, Pat? Can you quickly pull out the backseat to verify?

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LATCH systems increase safety of child car seats

18. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Might only be here in America. The latch are steel anchors where you can attach the seat without seatbelts. They snap right in place. I think any car made after 2002 has to have them in the US. You may well have them in your prius. They aren't visable. There is a little tiny diagram on right above them on plastic buttons on the back seats. If you slide your hand between the base of the seats and the back of the seat you can feel the bars that are the "latch" system.

19. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Called [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISOFIX"]ISOFIX[/ame] in Europe, may be the same in Oz.

Cars are generally designed for two car seats - if the distance in the centre is the same as the spacing of the two sides, that may not necessarily indicate that the centre position is allowed. The car has top tether positions on the back of the rear seats; it does appear to have one in the centre position (according to a picture in the service manual) but you should still check that it's supported by your car seat.

Ask Danny to check how many ISOFIX points there are when he test drives it!

20. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The metal anchors are near the outboard seat belt anchors and the buckle (button) portion of the outboard seat belt positions (4 loops total). With the infant carseat base, the inboard two loops can in theory be used, though it is discouraged.

The anchors on the back are for forward facing seats or boosters equipped with tethers to supplement seatbelt or latch anchoring to keep the seat from tilting forward in the event of a crash or other rapid deceleration.