1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Larger backseats in 2010 prius for better accomodation for 3 carseats?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 3prius3, Feb 20, 2009.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In the 2002, the points are also labeled ISOFIX in the US.

I'll check again on Sunday, but I'm pretty certain I spotted only 4 loops on the 2010 in the photos where the rear seat was removed.

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Center use:

Pictures here show how it "works" in my 2004. It does somewhat block the outboard seat belt buckles, which may be why it's not recommended.

Good thing I took these pictures - after the dealer took my car apart today (shocks/struts), they neglected to retighten the strap on the base! That could have been very bad, but would have been immediately noticed the first time I had locked baby in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. 3prius3

3prius3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The bummer thing for me is that I think my husband has already written the 2010 prius off the list.... On edmunds, the width Is about 1.5" larger than previous prius models... He just thinks we will be too crammed. So my enthusiasm for car shopping has waned... I don't really care for the look of the highlander, and the suv's I think look nice are gas guzzlers... I'm hoping the 2010 prius will still be a contender!!

4. Rehan

Rehan New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sorry to bump an older thread, but I have a question that's related to the original discussion in this thread.

I'm also hoping to fit three car seats in a 2010 Prius and I've read that the new design is roomier, but I'm a little confused by the numbers in the specs. Here's the comparison between the 2009 Prius and the 2010 Prius:

2009 Prius
    Rear Head Room: 37.3"
    Rear Hip Room: 51.6"
    Rear Shoulder Room: 52.9"
    Rear Leg Room: 38.6"

2010 Prius
    Rear Head Room: 37.6"
    Rear Hip Room: 51.2"
    Rear Shoulder Room: 53.1"
    Rear Leg Room: 36"

Based on those numbers, the 2010 is smaller than the 2009. :confused: I'm sure there's more to this issue than just those simplified numbers... Has anyone had a chance to see both vehicles to compare the two first hand?

5. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's so tough to compare those numbers imho ... I have compared two cars by the specs and then sat in both and found them to not be real-world accurate. Best to just check em out for yourself.

6. 3prius3

3prius3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just bought the Radian Car seat, and I have to say, its nice and slim, but it would still be a squeeze to fit three of them in the Prius comfortably. So unless the 2010 is bigger in the CENTER by at least an inch or two, its going to be too tight. However, that is my guess and not something to etch in stone.

As well, I have also read that (and this is in response that the infant should ALWAYS be in the middle, no matter what) the least protected child should be in the center. I will have to dig up the website that quotes this, but it makes sense.

It is agreed that the back seat is the safest, and that the center is more safe than the outside, but when you have multiple children, it is the LEAST protected child that should sit in the center, which, in many cases, it is the child in the booster seat, not the youngest one. Does that make sense? Because a 5 pt harness child, even if its an infant, will be safer in a crash on the outside than the one who just has the lap belt/shoulder belt booster combo.

Just some more stuff I had found....

7. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Would all three fit if the middle car seat is rear facing?

8. Rehan

Rehan New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yeah, three forward facing Radians on the side and a rear facing Radian in the middle would be fine. Three forward facing Radians would be very difficult or impossible, because the upper part of the seat is not narrow like the base.

BTW, with three seats you'll need to use a seatbelt installation rather than LATCH, because the LATCH anchors are too far towards the middle to be able to fit a third seat while using the anchors.