1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Largest or most unusual Load Carried in Your Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jmccord, Aug 2, 2006.

1. BlckPrius

BlckPrius New Member

I fit my surfboard daily. it is about 6'4.

I also fit 13 college students....We wanted to see how many people can fit in my prius. It was a little cramped but I think we set a record or sumthing. pretty crazy :lol: :lol: :lol:

2. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On one trip - a deck:
    - six 10' pressure treated 2"x12"s
    - ten 8' pressure treated 2"x6"s
    - twentyfive 8' Trex 5/8"x5" decking
    - six 8' pressure treated 4"x"4 posts
    - twelve concrete post bases
    - four pressure treated stringers
    - misc brakets and hardware
    - two hot, sweaty adults

On another trip - a garden:
    - 6 potted perennials
    - 1 cubic yard of peat moss
    - 15 bags of mulch
    - two hot, sweaty, dirty adults

I need to go clean out my car!

3. jmccord

jmccord New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlckPrius @ Aug 3 2006, 01:51 PM) [snapback]297134[/snapback]</div>
    That's a photo I'd like to see! :lol:

4. notdecraw

notdecraw New Member

Tent, bedding, camp chairs and table, ice chest, cookware, food, 5-gallon water jug, Coleman stove, clothing, an 8" telescope (4 feet long) and its tripod (about 5 feet); everything two adults needed for several days of camping and astronomical observing (including the adults). I did use a Yakima Rocket Box for the chairs and tent, and the climb from sea level to ~7,000 feet was a little rough on battery (down to one bar a couple of times) and mileage (about 40 mpg for entire trip), but it beat renting an SUV like I did last year.

It was not, obviously, as unusual as five bags of dog stuff. I'd say that takes the cake but I've sort of lost my appetite. ;-)

5. eanda9000

eanda9000 New Member

My co workers have extremely large egos, I was surprised that they all fit in my car and they still appreciated how much room there was. At one time I had 3 large egos in my car and put the baby seat in the hatch. These egos were the "I drive a pickup two sizes bigger then I will ever possibly use" variety. Large egos are quickly able to see that the car is very large on the inside and wastes nothing from a space perspective.

6. bad monkey

bad monkey New Member

Not too unusual, but 10- 2x4x10' and 7- 2x4x8'. A better story was when I brought a 6' folding table to work and when I went to get it from my car later that day, a co-worker was shocked that not only did it fit, but it fit with the hatch closed.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bad monkey @ Aug 3 2006, 06:40 PM) [snapback]297359[/snapback]</div>
    Try a smaller folding table. That way you can get 4 folder chairs, a bunch of Christmas gifts, and 3 adults inside too.

I had totally forgotten about doing that back when I first got my HSD Prius. Thanks for the memory jar.

8. Recovering Gas Guzzler

My Prius carried eight race tires (four mounted, four unmounted) for my other car. ;)

9. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I got an 8 ft. tree in the car with the seats down. Bushy part up front with me. Looked strange but worked. :rolleyes:

10. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ajprius @ Aug 3 2006, 11:39 AM) [snapback]297016[/snapback]</div>
    I was still puking, LOL

11. meshell

meshell New Member

120 lbs of cat litter....seriously. 10 (12 lb) buckets...

12. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A 10' by 12' gazebo from Home Depot (knocked down of course)

13. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

An object about 74 inches long, about 50 inches around at it's widest point and weighed over 300 lbs. ;)

14. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mtsarpilot @ Aug 2 2006, 07:47 PM) [snapback]296742[/snapback]</div>
    [​IMG]
    Yeh, I got 47mpg with this setup doing 70mph. Of course I was losing altitude from Tahoe to the Bay Area. The trip uphill was still 41mpg, so 44mpg average still amazes me. We were also fully loaded inside.

This particular shot shows the obvious stuff on the top (though the kayak was full of grear that you can't see - probably about 250 pounds on the roof. And the inside had three humans, and food and drink for 16 people for four days. We were riding pretty low, but never hit the bump stops.

15. jmccord

jmccord New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Aug 3 2006, 08:46 PM) [snapback]297441[/snapback]</div>
    Darrell,
    Sounds like you were pushing the limit of rated capacity (810 lbs) with no sweat :unsure:
    Good thing you had all that ballast though, that top load looks like it could be a problem in crosswinds :mellow:
    That was a pretty good workout alright, though I thought the 10' pipe lengths and 50-gal water heater pushed the limits as well. :lol:
    Surprised we haven't heard any big screen tv tales.

16. cagemo

cagemo Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    filled mine with helium last weekend. got a 1.2 mpg boost, but the dog passed out. :wacko:

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rand Reed @ Aug 3 2006, 02:12 PM) [snapback]297157[/snapback]</div>
    Then take a shower. :D

18. molgrips

molgrips Member

It swallows up all my stuff for race weekends without even sweating. Two bikes, tents, bedding, chairs, stoves etc etc. It was a squeeze in my old Seat.

My best effort in any car was three bikes, three lots of biking gear and three people inside (we'd forgotten the bike rack) a 950cc Ford Fiesta mkII:
    [attachmentid=4348]
    Was hardly driveable.

Also, four people (two quite small ones) and a bookcase, chest of drawers, bedside table, chair and few other sundries from Ikea in one of these:
    [attachmentid=4349]
    The bookcase was about 6 foot long, we had to remove the sunroof so it could stick out. Had to move the front seat as far as it would go - my portly friend spent the whole 40 mile trip with the dashboard in his midriff and his face pressed up against the windscreen. It looked like rain too, so we covered the bookcase with a plastic bag. At 60mph on the motorway the noise of it flapping was deafening, couldn't hear for a good few minutes afterwards.

Who needs SUVs? :)

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i just moved to the west side of Oly with mine. took every thing i owned except the big screen, my desk and couch.

other things i did take. and 80" china cabinet. 5 computers along with an 84 lb 21 " monitor. two bookcases, a TON of books. two beds, two file cabinets (full of paper, each weighed a TON. had to remove the drawers to move them)

now to wander off the subject like i frequently do. fired up my ford f-150. put $40 worth of gas in it, (that is about a 5 week supply for the Prius) used it for two trips back and forth to new place (round trip 9 miles) and two trips to goodwill and dump. BAM...$40 of gas GONE

20. pebi

pebi New Member

OK,
    On old thread but anyway.
    Yesterday our van died, and my 5 year old son was going to MX training in the evning.
    The 50cc bike fits nice in the Prius.
    So why do we have the van? I guess we could sell it.

/pebi

Attached Files: