1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Largest or most unusual Load Carried in Your Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jmccord, Aug 2, 2006.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just adding the pics of twin size mattress posted in the other thread.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. OptimalPrime

OptimalPrime Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Old thread, but.........in my 2005 I have fit many crazy loads.
    Each of the following 8 things fit inside, and made their way down the road with the hatch closed.

1. 500 lb safe (60x30x24 ish)
    2. 56 inch, 400 lb Harbor Freight Tool roller cabinet (wheels not assembled on it)
    3. 1/3 ton of woodstove fuel bricks (6 times so far, as I buy a ton at a time, bring home in 3 trips)
    4. 20 40lb bags of pellet stove fuel
    5. 20 40lb bags of garden soil (and 2 of us in the car)
    6. 71 inch shelving unit fully assembled
    7. full 10 foot lengths of metal electrical conduit, copper pipe, etc.
    8. A crazy amount of hiking/camping/optical stuff for my eclipse trip (drove 5555 miles with it all)

9. Last but not least, a new, boxed 80 gallon water heater didn't fit inside, so instead I sat it vertically on my receiver-hitch cargo carrier and leaned it against the hatch. I carefully and redundantly tied it on with 1/2 inch nylon rope, then headed down I-495 doing the 65mph speed limit. A state trooper who passed me, slowed down and basically circled 360 degrees around me. I figured I was in for a lecture, warning, or ticket. But I guess he just checked that it was tied on well and that I had a valid license plate semi-hidden in front of it, then he continued on at normal trooper speed, returning to business as usual! Maybe he saved a dashcam video to show his buddies.

3. Big_Audio_Blowhard

Big_Audio_Blowhard New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    my wife...

but seriously, my 9'4" surfboard with right rear seat down and front passenger seat all the way back (reclined)
    room for just one passenger behind driver

I met a guy at the beach once who said he got 4 surfboards in his once

_bab

4. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How about 1470 lbs of junk battery modules inside the car? I removed the passenger and back seat. Covered the entire floor about a foot deep. The car drove like a beached whale for 250 miles.

5. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've moved apartments a couple times, entire car loaded up to the headliner with stuff, towing a trailer full of more stuff, probably 1500lb or so in total. I've also fit a queen memory foam mattress in once, folded in half like a taco.

6. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Our Prius v (wagon) has hauled some intersting stuff.

• Moving our daughter back and forth to college. I took out the rear seats ( easy to do with the v ) and it was absolutely packed. The move back home took two car loads. (y)
    • My son and I went on an 'epic road trip' last summer. Again I removed the rear seats. With the seats removed we even had room for two folding bikes!

7. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

My most interesting loads would be, in no particular order,
    1. A load of round fence-posts (the ones used in fields for livestock etc) - as many would fit in with all seats down etc
    2. Concrete blocks. Basically these were on the floor pan on the passenger side, both sides on the floor, and on the rear sets, and also the boot. The car had lots of space, but the whole car was 'lowered' majorly
    3. A VW 2.0 engine and transmission (lowered in with a forklift, and lifted out by me; the latter not being much fun)
    4. one of those 1x1x1.2m water container cubes - this one being food-grade. While empty, the dimensions meant it woulnd't fit. So the boot lid was open, and I tied it to the front seats using a few ropes so it was 'pulled in' to the car, but hanging out of the back with the hatchback wide open. It looked ridiculous and I only needed to move it a few km. I kept a low speed etc and kept an eye out for law enforcement :D I have photos of this somewhere!