1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Larson C Ice Shelf

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Apr 22, 2015.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: http://www.the-cryosphere-discuss.net/9/861/2015/tcd-9-861-2015.pdf

An established rift in the Larsen C Ice Shelf, formerly constrained by a suture zone containing marine ice, grew rapidly during 2014 and is likely in the near future to generate the largest calving event since the 1980s and result in a new minimum area for the ice shelf. 5 Here we investigate the recent development of the rift, quantify the projected calving event and, using a numerical model, assess its likely impact on ice shelf stability. We find that the ice front is at risk of becoming unstable when the anticipated
    calving event occurs.

I'm not so sure this break-up would do much right away. The land-based ice does not appear to be that large bottled up by Larsen C. Still, every little bit helps (or for Florida, hurts.)

Bob Wilson

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    In case of interest, I explain that these (several) EGU journals have anonymous reviewers but whose comments are public, then a public discussion, then (if the journal editor so decides), the final manuscript is published online.

It is often the case (as here) that the public discussion is 'thin soup', but it is their way of doing things.

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The last reports from December-January claimed '12 miles remaining.' Well it has been long enough for the ice shelf to break off. I keep looking at the daily satellite images and have yet to see an artifact suggesting it has broken loose. Nor have I seen any recent reports about the crack. Any suggestions?

Bob Wilson

4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I would highly recommend this site and thread, if you haven't already seen it.
    Rift in Larsen C

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My hypothesis is how freshwater freezes by expanding. Antarctica is headed into winter and I have no doubt there was plenty of liquid water. But once it freezes, water ice works like a wedge and the crack expands. My expectation is we won't see it actually break-off until next Antarctic summer when the sea ice that anchors it melts enough for open water. Then it will be a question of wind, tides, and waves.

Bob Wilson

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    This has been anticipated for so long that science writers have had a chance to make the situation very 'teachable'. Soon we'll have a chance to rate their work.

This ice had (still has) water under it so it won't raise sea level. I guess it does 3 things:

Release a good bit of ice to Southern Ocean which is not a major shipping area, but does have fisheries and big-boat tourism action.

Over years it will melt. One could calculate cooling effect on S. Ocean of 1 trillion tons.

Grounded ice 'uphill' might get uncorked. I suppose Antarctic researchers have already thought about putting GPS markers there to detect flow-rate changes. That would be sea-level stuff.

I guess to was Larsen A in 1995 that kicked off this (what might be a) new phase in Antarctic dynamics.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The Larson shelves were anchored to the most northern peninsula of Antarctica. As they fall apart, warm ocean waters can reach further towards the glacier bases.

Bob Wilson

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    That is so. However far inland is grounded Larsen ice (after A,B, C losses), that is where one would wish to look. But not only there; what other Antarctic ice-exit areas are 'hot'?

GRACE deconvoluitons show something, SAR look-down satellites show something, and laser overflights (not easy down south) could show something. Those together with GPS surface markers could provide desired concordance of evidence.

If anyone wants not to know, well just say so.

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Monster Antarctic Iceberg Gets Its Big Break in First-of-Its-Kind Video

A-68 is the iceberg that is "Researchers tracking A-68 reported in August 2017 that it had traveled about 3 miles (5 km) from Larsen C and that it was breaking apart even further, with smaller "bergy bits" calving from the larger iceberg. The biggest of these minibergs measured about 8 miles long"

Bob Wilson

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    When I saw you'd updated thread I feared that there had been more Larseny down there. Relieved.

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It has released an under ice ecology for study that had not been seen for 120k years. It provides a way to see how invasive critters and flora return. Heck, we might find some new ones at the new edge.

Bob Wilson

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Melting ice opens doors for science wherever. Not without other side-effects...

Southern Ocean would be hosting great whale harvests, were that still the done thing.