1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Laser cut key cutter - Options?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by h00ktern, Feb 18, 2012.

1. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Laser cut key cutter - Options? --> Solved #13 on...

I have been on a quest for knowledge relating to the SKS fobs. The Toyota scam on prices for a new fob, coupled with the outrageous prices of programming, and the scattered information of what can and cannot be done by an owner, finally led me to take action. I do not have any problem with programming new/used fobs anymore.

Today, I travelled to the local dealer to see about cutting a new key blank. I took an original, the key tag, and the blank. The reply was "Sorry, we can't cut them here... we send out an order to Toyota and they ship one back." Alright I say, how much? "$94.00." Does that include a blank!? "Yes... it does."

Ok, I'm here. I bought one OEM fob already for $215 (parts.com), I'll pay once more. I won't even see the key till Wednesday. $99.xx on the Visa.

Well, Toyota just pissed-off this customer once more, so now I am searching for equipment that will cut one of these laser-cut keys. I am not looking at engineering something myself. I am leaning towards finding a cutting machine, but have never looked into it before.

If anyone has leads on specific manufacturers or models, please advise. Only I will be able to decide if the price is too high to pay for holding my ground on principle. I bought this Prius on principle (work issue), not to replace my truck w/ 9K miles.

Thanks for any help.

Safe trips

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you checked the local locksmith? They can cut laser cut keys with or without the code. The cutters themselves cost thousands of dollars.

3. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Laser-cut is a marketing term. The key cutter is really a computer driven milling machine. My locksmith plugged the key milling machine into a laptop computer and then entered the key-code into the laptop program.

sabasc3 and h00ktern like this.
  4. danvee

danvee Blizzard Brigadier

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was just at my local Home Depot (NJ) today and was told that they have the ability to cut our keys AND program the fobs.
    They said that they charge about $85 to do the service.
    Might want to check with your local store.....

1 person likes this.
  5. rthrglf

rthrglf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Last December, I bought a new smart key fob, including blank key, on Ebay for $66 winning bid. After calling around, I found Longo Toyota in El Monte CA to get it programmed for $90, including cutting the key, which was at no charge. They actually cut it at their Lexus dealership next door. All the other Toyota dealers I called were asking a minimum of $125 for programming plus additional charge for cutting the key, which they would've had to send out. To program smart keys and key cutting, I recommend contacting a Toyota dealer that also has a Lexus dealership, or if you can't find that combination, just go directly to a Lexus dealer, who is properly equipped. I don't know about other dealers, but Longo provided great customer service even though I didn't buy the part from them.

sabasc3 and h00ktern like this.
  6. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I remember you stating that in an earlier post. I asked the Parts counter, he replied they did have a Lexus dealership, but they "don't have the machine to do it." I didn't bother arguing.

I know these prices for fobs, keys, programming & cutting are outrageous. I refuse to be held captive by their scam. I am not stupid, nor inept. I am halfway to being 'equipped', once I find a cutter. I spent some time last night looking around on the net, and found Kabo-Ilco (057 HS) http://www.kaba-ilco.com/key_systems/products/key_machines/d_high_security_cyl.aspx?id=18. I am leaning towards something in this category, as I am not intending to start a commercial enterprise (although at these crazy price quotes, maybe I ought to).

I am still checking. Duplicating 'sidewinder' or laser cut keys does not appear to be a problem, whereas creating a new one from a code is. I can understand that logic (unlike Toyota's, where I have two OEM fobs, and can't - according to them - add a used one myself.)

Still open for machine brand / model options.

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  8. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  9. GreenMaterialism

GreenMaterialism Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm similarly frustrated. I bought a couple key blanks, but cannot find anyplace to have them cut in Pittsburgh. (I've called the major locksmiths, and even they said they didn't have the machine, and didn't know any others that did locally.)

If you, or anyone else on here gets one, I'd happily send my blanks your way with a few bucks per key!

BTW - I got my blanks on eBay for < $10 each, and they appear identical to the original keys.

1 person likes this.
  10. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If I finally decide on a sidewinder cutter, I'd be willing to cut PC forum member keys. I'll start another thread for that.

I've found an additional machine, the manufacturer is Framon (Sidewinder) http://www.framon.com/s_sidewinder. There is a local distributor which makes it convenient. I've also seen Bianchi (Model 303) http://www.bianchi1770usa.com/products/Machines/bianchi_303 Anyone familiar with any of these brands?

>RobH - I considered a mini mill some time ago, but until I finish some projects and tidy up the garage, I really have no room for another piece of equipment. A mill would be more useful, but I'm looking for turn-key right now. I really don't have the desire to start putting together a CNC set-up, learn the programming, and get it all functioning properly. I'm looking for instant gratification on the job at hand, lol

1 person likes this.
  11. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    These models have a slow rpm (3400ish). From what I read, and the little I know about machining, the small cutters used to mill with require a higher rpm (5-8kish). I'm also hoping to support a US company. But thanks for the links.

On a side note, the closest 'local' distributor for Framon appears to have gone out of business. I need to go a bit further to see what if it has possibility.

12. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: Laser cut key cutter - Solved !!!

Well, Toyota shanked me earlier, and now I am fully capable of evening the score. I just bought a Silca Matrix S. It'll be a week or two before it arrives.

I stopped by a Distributor / Locksmith this morning. He was absolutely the nicest guy I've dealt with in some time. After explaining why I was there, and what information I had gathered to date, he spent about a half hour talking with me. Then he invited me back to his shop, where he spent another half hour showing me all the different machines he has been using over the years - explaining the pros & cons of each.

Then he insisted I 'handle' each sidewinder cutter he had, while he pointed to the various features of each design. The only brand he wouldn't comment on extensively was Bianchi; he never owned one (however, he knew enough about the design to point out what he considered were a few weaknesses.) The Silca was his choice (an SX w/ the tilting table), and he assured me it was a quality machine, parts available, though it was a workhouse in his experience; the X,Y,Z table was also very capable. It would surely outlive me.

Throughout the hour plus, he almost tried to dissuade me from buying the spendy machine, offering other less expensive machines that would do the job I had planned - limited, non-commercial use. In the end, he understood I wanted to buy the machine once, and not deal with a POS.

So, I thank you all for the input you gave. If PriusChat approves, I might be able to help out the members here... give me some time to think how it can be done securely.

Safe trips :rockon:

mellowjd and GreenMaterialism like this.
  13. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Barnes uses the Biachi equipment for cutting security keys.

14. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did not mean to imply that Bianchi equipment was flawed. That was not the locksmith's opinion at all. He used one example of a regular wheel cutter that was direct drive rather than belt driven. He also opined that the Framon was a good machine, but the X, Y table did not run on full ball bearings - one axis ran on bars.

My intent was to show that unexpectedly, I found a professional who appeared well versed in his trade, offered what I considered a substantial amount of his time, and did not encourage a machine based upon his profit margin. Hell, he didn't even charge me shipping - he intended to buy some stock from them anyway (sometime in the next month).

I contrast his business practice with Toyota, which is what got me started on this to begin with :rolleyes:

15. GreenMaterialism

GreenMaterialism Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Good on ya! I wish you luck with the new machine, and hope you enjoy it when it arrives. Once you've got it all figured out, I'd be happy to be the guinea pig as your first customer!

Rock on indeed!

16. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

No need to be a guinnea pig - I'll be cutting the first few keys for my car :D

FYI, I also bought another five (5) blanks on eBay (from the same merchant I bought my first ones from,) but I have not contacted PriusChat yet to see their position on my offering to cut some keys for the members. I'll run it by them in the next few days and post the result.

Safe trips

Update: 03/01/12
    1) I sent a message via the "Contact us" link, but have not received a reply yet. Perhaps I should IM someone directly?
    2) My batch of five blanks came in today - waiting for the cutter and will update then

17. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update: Only sixteen (16) days to get my Dealer cut key !

Called them five days later (after 25 minutes on hold) when the parts counter told me it would "be in at the latest." After the wait listening to some really "hip" music, the really grateful parts guy told me "No, it's not here... call back later."

Unbelievable. And this is why I always land up doing everything myself...

Will update when the Silca comes in and I cut my own key... probably within five minutes of opening the box.

Can anyone advise who I should PM regarding offering the cutting of keys to PC members? I haven't received a reply to my original email using the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of each webpage

18. mmmMPG

mmmMPG New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to see the dealers are keeping up their reputation!

As for cutting keys for PC members: If you haven't heard anything back yet, my gut would say to just put an ad up in the classifieds... If it angers the PC gods, they'll let you know that way! It probably can't be offered directly through the PriusChat shop, since you'll require original keys to cut from, so it seems that the "for sale" section of the classifieds is where it'd land anyway. (At least I'm not aware of a "services" section...)

And if the PC gods put the kabash on it, you could always offer the service through eBay: It doesn't seem any different than the eBay listings for boot resoling... (In that they both require the buyer to send something in for work.)

Good luck with the machine!

1 person likes this.
  19. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cutter came in Monday! The locksmith was outstanding again. He spent about 45 minutes going over the machine, and tips & tricks to milling the keys. He tried to give me a handful of blanks to practice with, but I had to decline. Andy from LockKey in Miami, FL is outstanding, and must be recommended.

I finally got around to cutting my keys yesterday morning. All is well, and Toyota can KMA from now on. I am happy now that I took back ownership of the car which I paid for.

I have not yet received a response from PC yet, so until I do, I am not 'going into business'. I will offer to cut a few blanks for my cost, mainly to prove ability and build reputation. I need to check into the best method for shipping, packaging & security.

I don't know the etiquette on proceeding, so anyone interested, take a shot at replying here, or PM me, and maybe between us we can develop an intelligent way to proceed.

Safe trips,
    Dave

Shawnna and GreenMaterialism like this.