1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Last Fill Up Ended on the Ground and All Over My Cars New Paint

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by rochesteruser, Feb 21, 2008.

1. steveholtam

steveholtam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It must be nice to be a pump perfectionist. Many people move away from the pump when it is auto-filling. That is what the technology is for. Most just sit in the car to avoid the elements, or like the other user said, to clean the windows, check oil, toss some trash. I was no further then the trash can, about 20 feet, and back in less then 90 seconds, about the same time it would have taken me to clean the front wind shield. Not a big deal.

I hope you are lucky and your 2008 Prius dos not over-flow gas under your ever vigilant watch. Good day sir.

Steve

2. rochesteruser

rochesteruser Cruzin' in Rochester MN

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm replying back on my iPhone, so I hope this works.

I'm not sue happy by any means. I have sued companies in the past and have won what the jury saw fit as fair compensatory damages. I have been part of larger class action suits and have been on the winning side of the line 3 times. I consider myself more of a Consumer Advocate. Safety and reliability to me are #1 with any product I plop down my hard earned cash for these days. If Toyota knows something about this problem and is hiding something, then I want it exposed in the open for all current and potential Consumers to see. It's that straight forward for me personally. I know that its not a popular stance for many who have contributed to this thread, but for me, its the right way solve this problem.

Please understand that I have not "sued" anyone or Toyota. It has not even begun to get that far. I am just creating a paper trail and doing some "CYA" along this journey. I have the money and a very motivated Attorney on retainer who is very interested in this kind of work. I think he is just more interested in uncovering whether this problem is happening more often than it is reported. I too am just curious.

Other than that, my appointment at the Dealership is tomorrow. I took some flex time off to be there the whole time, just in case they need to show me something. It could very well be a problem specific to just my vehicle which can be fixed. Possibly, it could be something wrong with the 2008 Fuel System. Who knows? But after tomorrow I will have a much better understanding of the situation of which I will report back to update the thread.

3. joerdie

joerdie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am specifically speaking about going into the store. I can’t believe anyone would do that. For more reasons than I could even think of…

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Getting back in your car while filling up is a bad idea. Doing so can cause a buildup of static and cause a fire. This isn't a myth either. See
    if you wanna see a case of it.

I'm not sure who these "most" people are who get back in their cars while filling up either. I only see a small minority of people doing this whenever I fillup.

Despite your claims, you do sound sue happy. I've also been on the winning side of class action lawsuit settlements but it was from things I received in the mail and I never provided any testimony. I just submitted the paperwork they requested and that was it.

As for reliability, you're in luck. The Prius has the HIGHEST reliability out of any family car rated by Consumer Reports.

Much of the time, class action lawsuits do little. The consumers get little benefit and the lawyers make out like bandits. Example: I got zip out of IBM 75GXP Deskstar (aka Deathstar) settlement because IBM sent me a warranty replacements for drives that went bad... Well, I could've taken them up on a pack of 25 CD-Rs (big whoop) or 15% off a future purchase directly from IBM United States.

5. ForTheGlory

ForTheGlory New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not to belabor the point, bu the signs at the gas station that say, "You must remain at the pump while refueling" are there for a reason. In fact, isn't it illegal to leave the pump unattended? (That might vary from state to state)

6. rochesteruser

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just an update. They ended up keeping my car over the weekend because they found something wrong with my fuel system which included a sensor and the bladder and another electronic evacuation part. They gave me a free loaner to drive [2008 Highlander] which is really nice. They are going to have to order in a some major parts to fix it, but they did not want me to drive the car in this condition. So far so good. I think they did the right thing. I personally don't want to drive the car until they deem it safe to do so. Right now I 'm just loving this Highlander. What a fun little vehicle.

7. ForTheGlory

ForTheGlory New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's a relief to hear that there was actually something wrong with your fuel system, and that it wasn't simply a flawed design.

8. JimMedill

JimMedill New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I hope this solves your problem. Keep us posted. I will wait to see if it happens to me on my next couple of fills. If so I will make reference to your problem and your dealers repair.

Thanks again;
    Jim M.

PS This may still be a problem with a run of defective parts put into a group of 2008s.

9. rochesteruser

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I asked the Service Manager about this. And he told me that I am the 4th reported incident with this same problem as documented in his Toyota System. Possibly a 2008 issue only. That is how they knew specifically what to look for. I also questioned the design of the fuel bladder and he did say that there were 3 changes Toyota made to the fuel system for 2008 and more is coming on the 2009 model from what he has heard. So possibly Toyota is playing with design to increase fuel mileage or possibly to work in a new type of Hybrid System for the future? I am not sure, but I would take your car in to get checked if you have experienced the same challenges I have described. I just knew something was wrong with my personal vehicle. I am glad I followed my gut on this one. I look forward to a fix shortly.

10. JimMedill

JimMedill New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks RochesterUser;
    I'll follow your advise. It may also be that Toyota was working with mods to fix the "Belching Gas tank syndrome" on the earlier models.

Regards;
    JimMedill

11. JimMedill

JimMedill New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Woops - Posted by accident - Anyone know how to delete your own post???
    Regards;
    JimMedill

12. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've narrowly avoided one of these twice (most recently yesterday) and only because I read about it long before I got my car. Both times the pump didn't shut off when I expected (anything over 9 gallons is suspect) so I cut it off myself. I heard the gurgle when I removed the nozzle so I put it back in immediately and waited. After a couple of minutes the tank was done trying to barf and I was able to get away without a spill.

On a side note, it really aggravates me that a piece of equipment designed to eliminate emissions may well be responsible for creating even more. Even a pint of gasoline left to evaporate is a huge amount relative to what the car is supposed to emit over a long period of time (which is nearly none). The bladder needs to go away.

13. rochesteruser

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I personally am not a big fan of this bladder tank either. Toyota needs to rethink this design. My whole bladder is being replaced on Monday due to the way it was not expanding correctly. They said it was due to the cold temps that caused a permanent crease in the bladder which was part of the cause of the fuel tank sensor and evacuation pump failure. I just think a carbon fuel tank could cure this problem instantly.

14. wesshaw1@mac.com

[email protected] '08,pkg3,GPS,ScanGaugeII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    —Just visited this 'overfill' thread for the first time and will add, for those 'keeping track,' my experience with overfill.... New 08 Prius in November. Located in Eastern Coastal Maine. On January 4th, low barometer, outside ambient air temp of 25º±, on my seventh fill at an RH Foster (chain) station and pump I've used with no problem for 20+ years, the following occurred:

Tank was down to the blinking bar so I, in retrospect, should have expected 9 gal.±..., inserted pump nozzle, set to middle automatic position (auto-fill is legal in Maine...), started pump, picked up sponge washer, did headlights, refreshed squeegee, started on tail lights and the pump clicked off. I observed only 7 1/2 gal. on pump so I started adding manually and very slowly in that I was new to the car and had a 'vague' idea that I'd read the bladder tank was a slow fill and, from the manual, was aware of not attempting to "top off" as I'd done for a lifetime in my other vehicles... My mind (I'm age 67) wandered off, I guess, and suddenly I began to smell gas. I stopped pumping and observed a considerable puddle under the rear of the car —it did not come bubbling and burping out of the fill pipe. I was shocked to observe 11.3 gallons on the pump! (Again, for a lifetime, I've been used to using the autofill to first shut-off, and then manually adding gas through successive auto shut-offs until I hear the gas in the fill pipe. ——Perhaps this has been, in retrospect, an 'unsafe' practice but I believe it is quite 'common' throughout America and I would respectfully suggest that Toyota address the issue...) Letting everything sit and evaporate, I blocked off the pump area and went in to advise the manager that I believed the pump nozzle auto shut-off was defective. She advised that the pumps had all been recently checked and certified and that no one had reported a problem with that pump before. —That I should have stopped filling after the first auto shut-off....

Quite angry, I eventually left the station and drove an extra hundred miles to draw down the excess fuel in the hope that I'd not done damage to the filters, etc... In my cooling off period I concluded that she was correct. I should have stopped after the first auto shut-off (even though it appeared the tank was one to two gallons shy...).

On subsequent fills I then adopted the policy of filling manually and on the slowest flow. On the first auto shut-off I stop and check the pump and then the dash gauge. Usually, I will see all the bars lit and about what I expected for gallons on the pump. However, I have noticed a few times that the first auto shut-off occurs and there is still one unlit bar on the gauge... In that case I proceed to slowly add a bit more with a careful eye on the pump gallonage and any sound at the fill pipe. I've not overfilled again (8 tanks) using this method.

Lastly, now with a Scan Gauge II, I've enjoyed noting the predicted gallons needed on the SG II's read-out and have been very happy to note that the pump auto shut-off occurs within ± one tenth of a gallon of the Scan Gauge's prediction.

Conclusion: To avoid overfill and/or damage to the 08 tanks (at least) and systems: fill Manually, fill Slowly, Anticipate (by car gauge, paper calcs, or Scan Gauge II) the gallons needed, and Observe the pump gallonage at you near the top... "MSAO" to add a new acronym to the Prius glossary of terms??? ( : >)

It would appear that this tank overfill thing is a very real problem with the Prius but I'm so extremely happy with the car that I've learned to not mind the 'extra' time it takes to fill the old-fashioned way.... It will be interesting to see what any investigation(s) produce....

My time to re-explore threads is sometimes limited so please do not hesitate to e-mail me at: [email protected] if you would like or need any corroborative confirmation of my logged overfill noted above.

Best, Dr. Wesley A. Shaw

15. limetime13

limetime13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Fun "little" vehicle? Tsk, tsk, tsk. :confused:

16. eestlane

eestlane Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    To avoid "over-expanding" the bladder, and the consequent "burp-up" of gas, all you have to do is to cut away the foam seal at the top of the fill pipe (possibly illegal in some jurisdictions like Calif.). I did that on my previous Prius, an '04 and had no further problems with burp-up. The gas pump nozzles are designed to shut off when fluid (gasoline) backs up into the nozzle, not necessarily when only pressurized gasoline vapor is present. Sometimes during normal automatic pump flow rates, the vapor being displaced in the bladder cannot escape rapidly enough through the intended path, i.e. the charcoal canister, etc. Removing the nozzle seal allows a small amount of gasoline to escape into the air in the form of vapor, but that is much less than several quarts spilling on the ground. I agree that Priuses in the US should have the same no-bladder tanks as the rest of the world gets. Perhaps we can blame the California CARB people for this stupid tank design.

17. Navigator

Navigator New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

This seems promising as a fix. Has anyone else tried this?

18. rochesteruser

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I wouldn't recommend it. It's there for a reason. :)

19. adept

adept the prius novice

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Did the dealer take care of your fuel tank problem? Why don't they have techs working around the clock to take care of this weeks ago? After all you are a VIP, friend of a friend of some guy who owns a toyota dealership. That's like royalty in america... I hope they aren't able to fix your car and you win the biggest class action lawsuit in the world mister consumer advocate. I can really tell that you act the way you do because you care.

By the way, getting on the internet and lying about your lawyerly threats, and lying about saving a few hundred dollars on a warranty just makes you more pathetic.

20. rochesteruser

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You must be from Utah. Oh...you are. Sorry about that. Are you a MORON...I mean Mormon too?

BTW, they fixed the car and it works great. The great thing is that since I have taken the car in they now know how to address the other Prius cars that are having the same exact problem. ;) I'm glad I was able to bring it to their attention.