1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Last Post - I'm going Civic

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tomel, Dec 21, 2005.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had a Kaypro 2X, but lots of folks in the computer club had Osbornes and we traded public domain software. Lots of people back then wrote software to give away.

You can't go wrong with a Civic.

But in defense of the Prius: the bladder is only a "problem" for folks who get bent by the fact that the stated tank capacity is more than its actual capacity. It still holds enough gas to drive twice as long as many cars.

In defense of the Civic, my old Civic handled better than the Prius, and visibility was better. But I once rented some kind of Chevy that had far worse visibility than the Prius.

2. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

those new redesigned 06 Civics are sweeeeeet! Good choice in cars even if its not a hybrid :D

My wife and I were considering trading in our Insight for one, considering there is another family member on the way,...but with 94K and no squeeks, rattles, or repairs on that little spacemobile, I just can't seem to part with it.

3. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I hope all you "whiners" are happy that you drove a potential Prius buyer away! :angry:

ALL of these issues are personal opinions are have not been shown to be a concern of the VAST mahority of Prius owners.

Good luck with the Honda.

4. flying

flying New Member

congratulations on your new 06 Honda Civic Hybrid. I drove one that my friend just purchased and found it to be a very nice car. I would buy a Honda if it wasnt for a couple features that I need with my Prius. I mostly need the hatchback since I do meals on wheels on a volunteer basis. The Honda trunk is pretty small. I love the neat dash on the Civic and I think it drives and rides as nice as my 05 Prius. I just ordered an 06 Prius which should be here in Feb. Good luck

5. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm really sorry your dealer didn't work with you and wasn't willing to deal. Sounds like he lost a sale over floor mats. Not real smart. Not smart at all! It is sales tactics like this which make me angry. :angry:

I'm sure that the Honda will treat you well. The new Civic is a very interesting design.

I hope you will keep up with us. Things change and the Prius will continue to improve, both in terms of performance, but also comfort. And when you look at Toyota again, find a different dealer. I don't give dealer sales departments much room to prove themselves in. If they screw up once, I'm gone forever.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a pity the dealer wasn't pleasant. It's hard to find a Toyota dealer that is. Enjoy your Civic and come back and give us updates!

7. QED

QED New Member

It always comes down to the little things for me too. When you add them up and weigh them, they can easily sway you.

I also looked at Honda (currently own an Accord). One of the 'little' things was the sales climate at the Honda dealer compared to the Toyota dealer.
    Bottom line...Prius on order.

Enjoy your new car. B)

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had an Apple ][ in 78. I remember the Osborne a friend had one. Any one remember loading programs with a cassette recorder? I loved my first floppy. Long live the IWM!!
    Back on topic Sorry to see you go.

9. Jeffcss

Jeffcss New Member

Osborne, Kaypro Apple II... brings back old memories. I owned a Commodore Pet.

To: CDAVID. If you would have bought $2100 worth of Microsoft stock you could buy a whole fleet of cars today.

Back to the post: The Honda is going to be a great car and as many have already posted, you won't go wrong.

For myself I drive a lot and I didn't want just another car. I have found that after 1 month (3000 miles) or so the Prius is a lot like those old computer systems. They were exciting even if a little rough around the edges. A lot us felt and some of my coworkers at the time knew that this was the start of something big. I couldn't see that far into the future or I would have bough that Microsoft stock :)

I am tired of the view I get on 405 fwy (Southern CA) or any of the other fwys. I find that the Prius adds a small thrill to my commute (sometimes 200 miles in a day) because I have more control. Traffic jams get my MPG up to 60! I can't clear the fwy but at least I am not wasting gas. On clear roads I still get 44 MPG, doing 70 MPH. I glance at the Energy and Consumption screens knowing I can, if I want, control some of whats going on with the engine.

All the other technology just makes it better. I go to different locations all the time. The navigation system works great. My cell phone has bluetooth and it is integrated into the car including the calling number displayed on the Prius MFD. When I try to explain any of this to people driving "regular" cars I get the same look I got years ago when I showed them my Commodore Pet computer. They mumble "that's nice" and then changed the subject.

As far as the problems you mention, I haven't had any problems with gassing up. I put the handle into the fuel tank like normal and engage the "lock" at the highest setting and take it out when it clicks. Fuel gauge always registers full. I haven't had any of the other issues you listed so far.

Anyway, I made this post too long as is, so goodbye and good luck

Jeff

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    good luck on your purchase and as far as choice goes... as long as it aint GM you will do just fine. too bad you didnt get the HCH. there was a comparison done here by CR... i think...maybe MT.. i forget. but the Prius '05 beat out the HCH '06 but in reality it was a virtual tie.

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sounds like the original poster did his homework, thought carefully about what he wanted in a car, and made a decision that was right for him. I cannot speak for Danny, but I'd say Prius Chat is here to provide information, not just propaganda to try to convince everyone to buy a Prius.

But if you really want to promote the Prius, the last thing you want is unhappy owners. The Prius is the coolest car in the universe, but it is not perfect, and it is not for everyone. Hooray for Danny for providing a site where both the good and the bad are freely published and discussed, and a car shopper can be assured of good solid information on which to base a decision.

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah, but back then there were numerous competing companies, and nobody knew which would survive and prosper, and which would collapse.

Same with Apple. I suppose $2,000 worth of Apple stock back then would have made you obscenely rich today. But there were several dozen computer companies, and no way to know which would make you rich, and which would leave you without a shirt.

13. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Daniel, the OP quoted THESE reasons for not buying. My take is that he gave all these complaints too much weight...that is all. I was mostly poking at the whiners, not the OP, sorry it sounded the other way.

14. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I think from reading all the posts that the ripper was the dealer. And the really sad part of the is the dealer sold the car probably later that day. At the price he wanted.

15. sloopG

sloopG New Member

Rant on....

When will these dealers and salesreps learn that they destroy customer loyalty when they overcharge and that it will cost them more than that one sale. There's a local Honda dealer that I will never buy from because they ask for $5,000 over MSRP and try to make you feel like you got a bargain if they let you drive it away for anything near MSRP. There's another local Toyota dealer that I will never buy from because they would not even show me a Prius if I was not interested in buying one that day. There's a lot of other great cars in the Prius and Honda price range to consider and there's plenty of other Honda & Toyota dealers who value customer loyalty and straight forward business practices. You just need to dig a little to find them and remember to steer other people away from the losers. Can't wait to see "Change in management" or "Going out of business" signs at the greedy dealerships.

Rant off...

Thanks for listening

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I understood what you meant. But the folks you are calling whiners, I call just reporting the bad with the good. You think the OP gave those considerations too much weight, but the tone of his post gave me to believe that he was thoughtful and knew what he wanted in a car. He had read carefully, and so would have read the good with the bad, and for him, the good did not outweigh the bad. It's a very personal thing. For most of us here, the tremendous greenness of this car, and the cool tech features outweigh the very minor problems. But it is very often the small things that make a difference, and I think the OP concluded that for him, those small things added up to more unpleasantness than he was willing to accept in return for the benefits.

My sister, for example, drives a Lexus. It cost 3 times as much as my Prius. But for her, a very small difference in personal comfort as she sits in a car makes a very big difference in her happiness. For her, that's more important than the environment, because she believes that technology will solve everything.

I do not think the OP was like my sister. But for him, the Prius's benefits did not outweigh its shortcomings. And I'd rather see that Prius in the hands of someone who will love it than in the hands of someone who will be disappointed in it.

17. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    congrats on the new car!

18. Cocoatreat

Cocoatreat New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    congrats on your new car!
    i'm sure u will be happy with your decision.... i have had two hondas & now 2 toyotas.. so i know what both are about.....both are quite good..... my '92 honda prelude still works & performs.. i like it very much still....its a mini sports car.....
    i dont know what the big complaints about prius have really been about.....becuz i have found it to be a wonderful car......its has far been above my requirements....i have been on this board & have found whatever complaints made were quite minor...... overall most prius owners are very happy with this sensational car.... i really didnt care about any tax deduction....i simply wanted a car that i can have for a few yrs that was environmentally friendly.......hondas & toyotas live up to being the most reliable..... but if i had a preference......it would always go with toyota.... the two i have had (88 celica & prius) have been the absolute best cars for me..... the prius is the roomiest car i have had... & the only real problem i have had was the back view vision...... any one can have a problem with a car......new or old......but i must say....its quite reliable.... i have waited for this car for a long time & i must tell u the wait was worth it......i think that an owner should love most things about his car......& thats how i feel about my pri......the sleek body style is amazing.....i love the way it drives......the mileage....its just simply a part of me! i luv this car..... i dont think i would have been happy with a substitute....i'm glad i waited for my beauty....& after 2 mos. i am still finding more things appealing about this car.......
    again.....good luck! & i hope u feel the same way about ur civic as i do my pri....if u do...then the battle has been won..... :) :D :p

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    it was edmunds.com

20. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    congrats on the new car! all i can say is that good for you for still deciding on a reliable japanese car! :p

what other cars were in consideration? (just curious ;) )