1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Latest attempt to 'subscribe' news . . . again

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Dec 15, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So checking a couple of Google News articles, I came across an identical, blocking front panel:
    [​IMG]
    This appears to be the next version of "The Patch," an earlier newspaper 'pay wall.'

In the past, individual papers have implemented access limit counters or trimmed pages . . . the 'pay wall.' Of course it was and remains impractical to claim exclusive news access on a paper-by-paper basis as other news sources simply 'republish' excepts without a pay wall. But this new 'pay wall' is clever if easily defeated. Without even giving a second thought, the saved HTML source easily renders without the 'pay wall.' But this raises an interesting question about how to pay for reporters, the content generators. For example, the right side of the same page has a big advertisement.

As for the article, it would have pissed me off to pay for what is essentially a reworked, press release with a little reporter twist. It was written as if the 'Prius v' comes with the accident avoidance package which I suspect remains an expensive option after buying the top trim model. The reporter does not understand the costs associated with that package. So how would anyone get a refund for a misleading article?

I don't have an answer as much as amused by this latest attempt.

Bob Wilson