1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

latest # of HOV stickers issued?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by greenbaby!, Oct 12, 2005.

1. ecobuny2

ecobuny2 New Member

7/25 Bought my Prius
    8/9 Got the license number from the dealer
    8/9 Express mail to DMV with money order
    8/10 DMV received the application
    8/30 Got the actual license plate
    8/31 Got the carpool stickers

Here is the strange thing. My carpool sticker number is 650XX. I think they're recycling the numbers. I have a feeling that DMV processes applications in batches. For example they'll send someone to work on the carpool sticker applications for a couple days, then dispatch that person to do something else for a while, and then come back to the carpool sticker applications after a week or two. This may explain why checks, stickers, etc process at dates that are of proximity to each other.

Anyways, good luck everyone!

2. hybridized

hybridized New Member

Ok, so I'm being a little premature in joining the forum and posting; I'm planning to buy my Prius tomorrow!

What are the best tips for getting the HOV sticker? So far I've seen:

1. Pay in cash so dealer can get you plates ASAP. Is this true/required? I was going to finance my car through my company's credit union, so I prefer not to have to pay it all in cash!

2. I've printed out the applications for FasTrak (county requirement in CA), and HOV use. Someone posted that there are people who will wait in line at the DMV for you? If you're offering the service, please PM me with the details (what's the service and how much it costs)!

3. Should I drive to San Francisco to submit the FasTrak application? Can they give me proof of an account in person?

4. Should I drive to Sacramento to submit the sticker application in person? I guess this is the service that was mentioned?

Yes, I know I'm being a little fanatical about getting the sticker...

3. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just called the ARB office yesterday, and they said there are 1000 HOV stickers left for CA. Since there were 4000 at the beginning of August according to someone else, so it's likely they'll be gone by next week.

I bought my Prius on 8/27/06. My dealer said they can't possibly submit my paperwork to the DMV until 20 days after the sale - for me, it will be far too late to submit a successful HOV application.

4. ivfarmboy

ivfarmboy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ari @ Sep 1 2006, 07:12 AM) [snapback]312704[/snapback]</div>
    He lied to you... As discussed on this and other posts a dealer can do it same day. I got mine two days after, only because they did not go to DMV the one day. I also did not pay in cash so that has nothing to do with it. As far as I understand if the Dealer goes directly to the DMV then they can get the Licenses, the actual plates, the next day. Your dealer just doesn't want to do it. I live in a very rural area so if they can do it here they definitely can do it in most of California.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(uclabruins @ Aug 25 2006, 04:55 PM) [snapback]309574[/snapback]</div>
    Tell him that my Dealer usually takes one day to get Plates. It is all a matter of what they are willing to do for you. They have to go to DMV everyday anyways so most will take care of the Plates if asked. Sorry they are treating you that way. Good luck.

5. rocket

rocket New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eco Bunny 2 @ Aug 31 2006, 10:23 PM) [snapback]312606[/snapback]</div>

YAY! Sticker arrived yesterday: #72678

>1. Pay in cash so dealer can get you plates ASAP. Is this true/required? I was going to finance my car >through my company's credit union, so I prefer not to have to pay it all in cash!

If you pay dealer in cash, you can walk out of the dealer with the title to your vehicle and walk directly to any DMV and get your license plates that day. If you use any sort of financing, the dealer has to send them the title and therefore you are at the mercy of the dealer going to the DMV for you when it is convenient for them to do so. Multiple phone calls to dealer seem to work magic.

3. Should I drive to San Francisco to submit the FasTrak application? Can they give me proof of an account in person?

yes. and yes. They will give you two pages which you can make copies of and send in with your application.

4. Should I drive to Sacramento to submit the sticker application in person? I guess this is the service that was mentioned?

6. rmpaul

rmpaul New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RMPLE @ Aug 29 2006, 03:31 PM) [snapback]311322[/snapback]</div>
    Stickers issued 8/28, No. 7284x

Good luck to all the waiters!

7. rmpaul

rmpaul New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hybridized @ Aug 31 2006, 11:32 PM) [snapback]312618[/snapback]</div>
    Get your credit union to give you the check so there is no delay.
    Pay the $28 extra fee for electronic submittal
    Go in person to Fastrak. They are actually very helpful, and you will get your receipt immediately.
    Either go in person to DMV in Sacto (assuming you can get to the right office) or Express Mail the application once you have the plate no.

As of 8/28, they were at 7284x, so it is not completely out of the question if you do everything you can to expedite.

8. fphinney

fphinney Member

SHORT Timeline update -

8/10 Posted my application for "Stickers"
    8/30 Check cleared bank (checked on-line)
    9/1 Stickers (#73978) arrived!

The Gods have smiled!

9. jeffepops

jeffepops New Member

7.22 Picked up new Prius
    7.24 Downloaded and completed application for HOV stickers from DMV (Minus Plate # info)
    8.2 Got call from dealer with plate #
    8.4 Mailed completed application w/check. Sent with Delivery Receipt Request
    8.5 Application received by DMV
    8.7 Received Return Receipt Documenting Delivery by USPS
    8.31 Received Stickers -- #715XX

The biggest obstacle to getting license plates is DEALER laziness. I called the DMV office in Sacramento, and was advised to pressure the dealer to put in the application to the DMV quickly. My dealer told me I'd have the plate # in about a week, and kept their promise. I've heard of other dealers who have taken considerably longer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(uclabruins @ Aug 25 2006, 04:55 PM) [snapback]309574[/snapback]</div>
    Your delaer is a liar. Read other posters who've had different experiences and ask your delaer for specific reasons why he's taking so long. Don't ask the salesman, unless he's in the fleet department. Unfortunately, the aveerage Toyota salesman is as slimy as any other car salesman (sorry to those salesman who are decent and knowledgeable). Talk directly to the finance manager or the person who does the acutal DMV work in the business office -- they're the ones who will get it done for you.

10. trojannite90

trojannite90 New Member

7/1 bought car
    7/25 rec'd licence plates and submitted ppwk
    8/24 check cashed
    8/30 sticker # 726xx received

I tried submitting hov ppwk when I bought the car and did not have plates. It was returned.

11. Tweldon

Tweldon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tweldon @ Aug 4 2006, 04:26 PM) [snapback]297893[/snapback]</div>

UPDATE TO ABOVE:

8/17 DMV Cashed Check
    9/2 Sticker #723XX arrive in San Jose, with an August 25th postmark!?

WooHOO!

Tweldon

12. sc_trojan

sc_trojan New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fphinney @ Sep 1 2006, 09:19 PM) [snapback]312934[/snapback]</div>
    73978 and sent in on 8/10? that means that there is only roughly 1000 left (excluding duplicates/gaps) since I sent my application in on 8/30. So I got to hope that in the last 20 days, there were less than 1000 applications sent in :(

13. hybridized

hybridized New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rocket @ Sep 1 2006, 10:45 AM) [snapback]312841[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the reply! So here's my timeline then:
    9/1/06 Signed paperwork for my Prius and "bought" it.
    9/5/06? Will have all the cash in my checking account so the dealer can cash my check and go get my plates.
    9/6/06? AM - Drive up to SF to get FasTrak. PM - Express mail application to DMV.

I hope I can squeak in!

14. fphinney

fphinney Member

My dear friends -

I admit to making an erroneous report! Here is a revision with the CORRECT Sticker number:

SHORT Timeline update - (Revised)

8/10 Posted my application for "Stickers"
    8/30 Check cleared bank (checked on-line)
    9/1 Stickers (#72978) arrived!
    That leaves 2022 Stickers available?

I hope the Gods are still smiling?

15. MARK189

MARK189 New Member

Sent in App in July - 2nd attempt as 1st time car was not registered. Lazy dealership and an error on their part took almost a full month to register the car.

Check cleared on 8/7

Called 916 # previously mentioned in the Board on 8/16 and someone dismissevely told me it can take up to 30 days after a check is cashed to receive the stickers.

Called 916 # and got thru to someone who took a message for me on 8/25/06 and after I told them my check had been cashed for 2 weeks and no stickers; someone called me back on 8/28 and told me they had misplaced my Fastrak stuff so I had to re-fax and then I received the stickers on 9/1.

#728XX.

THe moral to the story is if your check has been cashed (check online) and you don't receive your stickers in say 7-10 business days then get on the phone. The number can be found if you go thru this forum.
    Check cashing evidently can still mean there can be issues.

Good luck. It took me almost 2.5 months from the moment I bought the car to the day I put the stickers on the car. Dealership error and DMV error.

16. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  17. bulldog

bulldog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here is my full update

- 10 July Order Prius from dealer in Las Vegas ( SF Bay Area dealers couldn't commit to Prius in less than 6 weeks)
    - 22 July Pick up Prius in Las Vegas and drive it back
    - 1 August get all the required paperwork from LV dealer via DHL
    - 2 August go to DMV and get my plates 45min later (Gilroy DMV is very fast)
    - 2 August fax in Fastrak application
    - 8 August get my Fastrak
    - 9 August Mail in application
    - 28 August personal check cashed
    - 30 August postmark
    - 5 September get sticker #734xx

So only 2600 or so left, hope you other guys make it. I also hope the above bill goes through for more stickers and use till 2011.

18. hubes1

hubes1 New Member

I'll add my own whirlwind and echo Mark's comments; if your check cashed but you don't hear back, get on the phone and/or send in another app with a cover letter. I did both and the latter had a quicker response:

7/12 - Bought prius
    7/14 - Picked up Fastrak transponder
    7/20 - Got license plate # from dealer
    7/20 - Sent in form with plate, VIN, check, fastrak
    7/22 - DMV cashed the check
    7/25 - Check clears the bank

Waited for a long time with no response...

8/17 - Sent in a second app, with a cover letter explaining first app had no response
    8/24 - Started calling ARB to see if they could help

The second app worked for me:
    8/25 - Received voicemail directly from SPU requesting I call back
    8/28 - Worked things out with SPU rep directly (re-faxed Fastrak)
    8/28 - Stickers issued
    8/29 - Postmark from Sacramento

Randomly the ARB contact slowly got back to me
    8/30 - Person from the ARB attempt called me back saying they would transfer my case over to the SPU (??); told them I'm already taken care of

9/1 - Sticker #729xx arrived!!!

Note: I was asked to fax the Fastrak with license and/or VIN on it, which the original receipt did not have. I ended up inputting that info into the Fastrak website and made a printout from there. Go figure.

Good luck!

19. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sc_trojan @ Sep 2 2006, 02:51 PM) [snapback]313192[/snapback]</div>
    Sent my application in on 8/30 also sc_trojan. Keeping fingers crossed for both of us!

20. mextaco1

mextaco1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eclectcmoi @ Sep 6 2006, 09:26 AM) [snapback]315217[/snapback]</div>

Everybody relax, CA AB2600 in on the governor's desk to extend HOV until 1/1/2011

AND AND ADD 10,000 more STICKERS! (Total 85,000) :D