1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

latest # of HOV stickers issued?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by greenbaby!, Oct 12, 2005.

1. HOVer

HOVer New Member

Yep, the dealer only has your back until they get the sale, then you have to really be on top of it to make sure things get done, unless the dealer already has a process setup to electronically process your registration.

I absolutely agree with bjfila...
    Definitely speak to the DMV PERSON at the dealership (the person who either physically walks to the DMV or sends the registrations in). The sales people, receptionists, finance people don't know anything whatsoever and will make as many 'promises' as possible to get the deal done (including saying that there are enough stickers to last till May). This lack of understanding of the HOV sticker process by dealer employees has been proven time and again on multiple forums from multiple people.

This is especially important as stickers are almost gone...
    Get those plate numbers as quickly as possible by having the dealer file your registration electronically or walk to the DMV within a day or two at the max. Mail the application as fast as possible with signature/delivery confirmation, and hold your breath!!

2. leong1234

leong1234 New Member

Interesting little items in the San Jose Mercury News today (Jan 9, 2007) from Gary Richards who writes a column called Roadshow.

1. DOV has sent out 5,945 stickers since Jan 1 with an additional 1,962 being processed. That leaves nearly 2,100 still available.

2. For those in the Bay area that needs FasTrak before applying for the sticker ... "starting Wednesday, drivers can get a FasTrak tranpsonder at Costco and Safeway stores. Click on Bayareafastrak.org for a list of stores"

3. mayathystle

mayathystle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(leo1234 @ Jan 9 2007, 10:27 AM) [snapback]373129[/snapback]</div>

I spoke with two different people today about the number of stickers available; both with different answers, of course. One told me there were 8,000 stickers yet to be processed and the other said there were about 2,000 still being processed. Hmmmmm. Not sure even the "experts" know what the real number is.

4. Tony_Min

Tony_Min New Member

Well, I may be lucky after all. Yesterday they cashed my check for $8.-.......

5. rudedogsurfrat

rudedogsurfrat New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuperman @ Jan 8 2007, 11:12 PM) [snapback]372888[/snapback]</div>

I paid cash and got it the same day.

I did this in December at Family toyota San Juan Capistrano

6. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here in FL I pulled up to the drive through @ the MVD with my completed form and a check for $5.00. Ten minutes later I had my decal-(Yes 1 only) and it was so easy. I guess FL is quite different from other places.

7. scoot

scoot Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Flyfish @ Jan 8 2007, 07:51 PM) [snapback]372875[/snapback]</div>
    No dealer can/will guarantee that you will get stickers. We know more about what is going on with the stickers than they do.

8. xrjk

xrjk New Member

I decided to not take the chance and found a certified 2005 prius at a dealership with stickers already on it (lots of internet searching on dealer websites). Cut 40 mins off my morning commute yesterday. My salesman said he sold a new prius earlier in the week and the customer was denied stickers already - don't know how they would find that out so fast. Salesman caveat though, he was probably trying to lock down my sale on the used one because he knew I wouldn't take new due to the sticker risk we had discussed already.

9. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm guessing it doesn't mean anything (due to reissuing replacements, etc.), but I got my stickers in the mail yesterday and they were numbered 84760.

10. jafo399

jafo399 New Member

I work for Toyota at our corporate HQ in Torrance, CA and I bought a prius for my parents last month. Our purchasing process is different from the general public, so I had to wait 4 months for delivery of the vehicle. When the vehicles arrive at our location, the vehicles already come with license plates. That made it easy to apply for an HOV sticker and send the check right away. I sent a check to DMV on Dec. 19th and they just cashed the check today. So my parents are assured to receive the HOV sticker, but now I am in jeopardy.

When I heard that 10,000 additional HOV stickers were going to be issued in January 2007, I immediately ordered a 2007 touring edition prius. Now that so many applications are being processed, I think I made a big mistake. I currently I driving a 2005 prius with an HOV sticker, I should get the vehicle sometime at the end of January, but I believe the HOV stickers will be gone by that time.

Should I keep my 2005 with stickers or make the change with the new 2007? :unsure:

11. seiichi

seiichi Junior Member

Yaaa! I just got my stickers today.

Application sent: 12/07/2006
    Stickers received: 1/10/2007
    Sticker #: 8872x

12. PriusJay

PriusJay New Member

Sent in a check for the HOV stickers on 12/28, and 11 days later the check cleared my bank. So it appears that even as late as a two weeks ago, there were still hov stickers to be had.

13. Prius07Pkg4

Prius07Pkg4 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hayburner @ Jan 4 2007, 09:26 AM) [snapback]370742[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seiichi @ Jan 10 2007, 04:54 PM) [snapback]373877[/snapback]</div>
    From the above data:

Ealiest number that I see is 84,39* Latest is 88,72* (Application sent: 12/07/2006) around 4,500 + 500 (error)= 5,000

10,000 - 5,000 = 5,000

So estimate still 5,000 sticker available after 12/07/2006

Estimate 2,500 per month, I think if your application send before Feb 10, 2007 you still have a good chance to get sticker. However, THE SOONER IS THE BETTER.

14. stomsf

stomsf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just saying -- I was grinning like a fiend last night, driving home and seeing "SF Downtown -- 27 minutes" on the traffic marquee. Seeing tons of tail-lights in the maze, metering lights on -- and I barely tap my brakes as I breeze through the toll plaza. AAAAAAh, THIS is one of the primary reasons we got this car!!! :D

15. scoot

scoot Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobK @ Jan 10 2007, 11:30 AM) [snapback]373734[/snapback]</div>
    Salesman was lying. There is no way he would no if a car earlier in the week was "denied stickers". Hell, if you call the DMV people today they won't say that you will be denied stickers - they will just say that there are some left and that they are processing applications. I think you were wise to buy what you bought though anyway if the stickers are a high priority to you.

16. ucsbgaucho

ucsbgaucho New Member

quick question... if they originally issued 75,000 stickers, and then in October authorized another 10,000 stickers (to make 85,000)... how can people be receiving stickers with numbers like 88,72x?

17. pbsaz

pbsaz New Member

I don't get it. I sent in my completed application with check on November 30th haven't heard a thing nor has my checked been cashed. On the other hand several people said they sent their application as much as two weeks later and their check has already cleared. Another person said they already received their stickers. What gives?

18. EricUSC

EricUSC New Member

- 11/26: Bought 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid
    - 12/11: Received plates; sent HOV sticker application via overnight mail
    - 12/12: DMV received HOV sticker application
    - 12/26: Check cleared
    - 01/11: Received stickers #886XX

19. Alex7

Alex7 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(leo1234 @ Jan 9 2007, 10:27 AM) [snapback]373129[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Leo, your post was very useful and it eased my concern Tuesday. From the information I've seen on other message boards it seems to be pretty accurate.

I bought my Prius 12/05/06
    Received my plates 12/21/06
    Mailed my application 12/21/06
    My $8 check was cashed on 1/10/06 (Wednesday Morning)
    Stickers received 1/13/06 (Saturday)

If the numbers Leo posted are accurate, and I think they are, anyone who has sent their application already will get the stickers, and anyone who sends their application within the next couple weeks has got a good fighting chance. Keep in mind that the numbers "being processed," i.e. received by mail but waiting to be entered in the system, include a chunk of applications that will be rejected for not having plate numbers, for errors or for vehicles that don't qualify.

I have a friend who just bought a Honda Hybrid and is trying to get her plate number. I told her to call her dealer's DMV person to expedite it and to try to get the application off in the next couple weeks and she should be ok.

20. HOVer

HOVer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pbsaz @ Jan 11 2007, 04:35 PM) [snapback]374465[/snapback]</div>
    I would say you have two options - or do both:
    1. Call the DMV asap and find out if they've processed your app, it definitely should have been processed already.
    2. Your application was probably lost in the mail, send in another app ASAP (what's another $8) and pay extra and get the signature/delivery confirmation so that you'll know if they receive it or not.