1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Latest recall - sales stop!

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by beef jiggles, May 12, 2024.

1. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I certainly don’t search and aim for the pot holes. : } The two states I drive in have horrible roads. It’s often impossible to avoid them.

My timing isn’t great but car purchasing often can’t be timed perfectly. Wish I could wait long enough for something better to come along.

bisco likes this.
  2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That is why I looked up RZ. It is a better car than bZ4X according to Consumer Reports and other reviews.

3. PhoS

PhoS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
  4. bionicbadger

bionicbadger New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the only place I've found this news, so it might not be accurate or reputable, claims to be Reuters source but I can't find it elsewhere.
    (Sorry about the formatting, forum won't let me post a link)

research/markets/commodities/reuters/toyota-to-resume-prius-model-car-production-shipment-in-japan-from-midjune-nikkei-53845073

on xm com

just a one liner: TOYOTA TO RESUME PRIUS MODEL CAR PRODUCTION, SHIPMENT IN JAPAN FROM MID-JUNE

5. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep those Toyota bZ's are not selling....I went up to a huge dealership in northwest Denver and all but ONE of the vehicles inside the huge lobby were bZ's. Not really an SUV and not really a station wagon...it's a vehicles looking for a home. (And horrible range at that price...I'll never buy one.)

My next vehicle will be a truck to replace my 2014 Tundra. We have to have one to pull our camper. The truck is going strong so it probably won't be for another 5-7 years before I decide to get a Tacoma V-6 Hybrid. (The camper is only 5,000 pounds.)

That Crown Signia looks just like a nice Lexus! (Probably cost almost as much!)

6. bionicbadger

bionicbadger New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Confirmed production to resume June 17
    (Still can't post links...)

Nagoya, May 24 (Jiji Press)--Toyota Motor Corp. said Thursday that it will resume production of its Prius hybrid car at a plant in Toyota, Aichi Prefecture, central Japan, on June 17 after over two months of suspension due to a recall.

Dealers nationwide will start accepting requests for repairs associated with the recall on June 14.

The Japanese automaker suspended production of the Prius on April 4 due to the risk of doors opening during driving. On April 17, the company reported a recall of 135,305 units to regulators.

No accident related to the defect has been reported so far, according to Toyota.

Inadequate waterproofing of rear door parts may lead to water leaks and short circuiting, Toyota officials said. Additional waterproof sheets will be installed to solve the problem, they said.

bisco and AndersOne like this.
  7. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Interesting. I assumed they were going to change the adhesive used to seal the switch. That seemed to be the root cause. I wonder if the fact it's taken so long to announce a solution means they tried several other solutions that didn't pass testing?

Here's a link to the story:
    Toyota to Resume Prius Production on June 17 | Nippon.com

8. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    It seems that people are condemning the 19 inch rims as "not good for potholes" without taking into account the various attributes of potholes in modern roads. Larger tires can deliver a better ride when the pothole is small enough (less than 12 inches or so across) that the tire can roll right over the gap in the roadbed. I find that cruising down the interstate at 70 MPH is more comfortable with the larger diameter tires. Back in 2002, there were many critics of the 13 inch tires on the Prius. It was commonly believed that they would fall into potholes and break suspension components. I never had any problems with alignment on my 2002 Prius.

Larger tires also lead to lower unsprung weight. That's usually a good thing, since it allows the suspension to respond to road irregularities more easily. Less unsprung weight means that you don't feel the smaller bumps as often.

The nice rims on my car have lead to a LOT of positive comments. If Toyota wants the Prius to outgrow the reputation of being a slow and odd looking car, they've certainly done that with this package.

GcinFl and AndersOne like this.
  9. Maturedriver

Maturedriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    V
    Hammersmith many thanks for the link to Juji Press which I have forwarded to my Toyota dealer. I will publish the reply but since they didn’t respond to my previous enquiry I wouldn’t hold your breath :-

Dear Sir,

I assume the Prius I ordered on the 6th March 2024 will not be arriving in July as promised? Toyota suspended Prius production on the 4th April and will not start manufacturing again until the 17th June. This is because they have been trying to find a cure for the faulty rear door switches. Please find below the latest information on this matter which comes from a reliable Japanese source.

“Nagoya, May 24 (Jiji Press)--Toyota Motor Corp. said Thursday that it will resume production of its Prius hybrid car at a plant in Toyota, Aichi Prefecture, central Japan, on June 17 after over two months of suspension due to a recall.

Dealers nationwide will start accepting requests for repairs associated with the recall on June 14.

The Japanese automaker suspended production of the Prius on April 4 due to the risk of doors opening during driving. On April 17, the company reported a recall of 135,305 units to regulators.

No accident related to the defect has been reported so far, according to Toyota.

Inadequate waterproofing of rear door parts may lead to water leaks and short circuiting, Toyota officials said. Additional waterproof sheets will be installed to solve the problem, they said.

[Copyright The Jiji Press, Ltd.]”

Yours sincerely

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Current new Toyota availability at our nearby dealership, speaks volumes:
    IMG_4233.jpeg

11. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for clarifying. I agree that Toyota has certainly improved the design of the car although I think they’ve cheapened the look of the interior. I would prefer a non low-profile tire over positive comments about my nice rims but that’s my opinion. The majority of issues with the tires have to do with blowouts from potholes and the lack of availability when trying to get a replacement. Hopefully the availability will increase assuming other manufacturers start using this tire size.

I would be purchasing a different vehicle if I could find another hatchback with similar fuel economy.

bisco likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are larger wheels the pothole problem, or low profile tyres?

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd say low profile tires. Still, if you want to stick to a certain OD limit, and spec bigger rims, it forces you into low profile.

My 2 cents, Toyota doesn't know their audience, or they're turning their back on that audience, thinking bling is the thing that'll bring 'em in, God knows what.

Louis19, daisy555 and bisco like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    IMG_3425.jpeg This is our 2024 hycam. 19” wheels, but seem normal profile to me.

they do reduce mpg, and i had thought to replace them with smaller, but they give an awfully comfortable ride.

daisy555, dbstoo and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I'm alternating between our stock 215/45R17 all-seasons, and 195/65R15 X-Ice Snow's (on PIP rims :)). The latter are cushier, lighter (so my back tells me), and roll easier, give better mpg.

16. TGTGUUD

TGTGUUD Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    My humble opinion: RZ or BZ4X, both absolute garbage. One has nicer seats than the other. But if one wants seating comfort, might as well just buy a leather couch to put in the living room.

17. Maturedriver

Maturedriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    V
    I think the comments on this thread have slightly gone off topic .

18. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I think they are actually both good cars. Some other BEVs get the federal tax credits, but bZ4X can be the best buy for many with its deep factory rebates and dealer discounts. The real problem isn't that it is a bad car but people don't want BEVs. Tesla has made a name, and people are still buying it, albeit it has a lot of difficulty selling now, too, which will get worse and worse in the future with other OEMs gaining market share. So, I would be really worried if I owned the Tesla's stock.

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota's audience for the Prius is in Japan. Over sea sales help pay to factory workers, but they kept the Aqua going at home when Prius c sales dropped to zero.

Aspect ratios of 50 are considered the line the between low and normal profile tires.

That's the problem with them. For the price, a buyer can get better performance, longer range, faster charge speed, or all of that elsewhere. Which wouldn't be too bad if Toyota was one of the first to market.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They are trying to appeal to the audience that didn’t like the Prius. I think they could have streamlined the look without increasing tire size and lowering the seating. Wonder what the next generation will look like. The infants of today will probably be laughing at our present style cars when they get to be my age. Will be interesting to see what the next generation Prius looks like assuming it survives.

Finally saw a cyber truck in person this week. Who knows what’s next. : )

Mendel Leisk likes this.