1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Latest recall - sales stop!

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by beef jiggles, May 12, 2024.

1. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

I agree, the Corolla Cross rides better than a Prius hatchback in much the same way a Prius v wagon rides better than a hatchback. A Rav4 rides better than all of them due to increased weight and bigger tires.

Avoiding a car fitted with low profile tires is essential as well.

Tires on a new car are often over inflated to avoid flat spots when they sit there for a long time. Cheap 30,000 mile factory tires are also bad at ride, handling and tire wear. If my new car does not have Michelins I change them immediately and sell the original tires.

daisy555 and Gokhan like this.
  2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    RAV4 and RAV4 HEV ride worse (3/5) than Corolla Cross Hybrid according to Consumer Reports.

RAV4 Prime PHEV rides similar to (4/5) Corolla Cross Hybrid according to Consumer Reports.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah it's been reported here: dealerships are supposed to set your tires to the pressures spec'd on the door decal, as part of the Pre-Delivery Inspection, but have been goofing off, leaving them grossly overinflated.

Maybe lost them a sale with Daisy.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mrs b said her next car would ride higher like my bolt, she really enjoys it. now she finds the hycam too low. difficult to get in and out, and limited vision.
    we had a rav4 loaner and both thought it was awful in every way (base model gasser)
    i would love to see a plug in corolla hatch by the next time she needs a car.

daisy555 likes this.
  5. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn’t realize Consumer reports rated it higher. The reviews I listened to stated they are a noisy ride and a few other things I can’t remember. Hard to do a real test drive when they are already sold before they arrive. : /

Gokhan likes this.
  6. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with your wife but I think I would miss the maneuverability of the Prius. I was meant to have two cars. Ha!

bisco likes this.
  7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Ride and noise are separate categories. Both Corolla Cross Hybrid and Gen 5 Prius got 3/5 in noise. Corolla Cross and Corolla Cross Hybrid are separate cars, too, the hybrid being much better. Interestingly, Corolla Cross Hybrid got 2/5 for the trunk while Gen 5 Prius got 3/5.

Corolla Cross Hybrid easily beat Gen 5 Prius in the road-test score (82 vs. 76).

8. Gwyd

Gwyd Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    It's all very subjective - I agree with bisco. I did a long test drive (on the road) in a Corolla Cross because my mother is considering it - but I agree with Daisy that it drives weird. Didn't like it at all, it felt like it floated around without a real solid connection to the road. She's also considering the Crosstrek over the Cross because of how it drives.

We drove a brand new (4 mi on the odometer) '24 Rav4 XSE ICE for a month while my Prius was in the shop and were SO glad to have the Prius back. My wife and I both agree that the road noise and ride in the Prius is much much better than the Rav. Maybe it's having the Limited with 19" wheels that makes the Prius better, but the Rav felt like an SUV with all the looseness and rattling of a work vehicle. We had to turn the radio up louder to get over the road noise and started avoiding rougher roads. She took it on two road trips for kayaking that were 2+hrs away and she and her friends said the ride was noticeably rough. The extra trunk space and getting in/out of it was much better though.
    We were seriously considering swapping out the Prius because of how low it sits and the lost hatch capacity vs our Gen2 - so much so that I was talking numbers with my salesman. But after driving the Rav for a month, we agreed that we would rather lose a little hatch space and have a more comfortable & quiet ride. She wants the new VW ID Buzz once we pay off the Prius, which will give us all the trunk space we need. In the meantime we'll rent a truck from Home Depot if we need to carry anything the Prius can't handle.

TLDR - Consumer reports isn't the end all be all of statistics. The real world experience of me and my wife is that the Prius LTD with 19's is a better ride than a Cross or Rav4. It's subjective and you have to decide for yourself if you truly want to know.

#108 Gwyd, May 28, 2024
    Last edited: May 28, 2024
  9. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for sharing these details. Great description of my experience driving the cross hybrid and I was just going slowly in a parking lot. Felt like I was floating but not in a good way. I like feeling secure on the road. I’ve been wondering why no one has mentioned this in reviews.

My dream has always been to have a VW bus. Wish I could afford the VW ID Buzz and had a place to plug it in. Now that would be fun!

bisco likes this.
  10. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    My understanding is that Toyotas built in North America (that are destined for North American dealerships) have tires generally inflated to normal pressures. It's only the cars destined to be shipped across an ocean or two that have overinflated tires.

And for the ten thousandth time, checking the tire pressure is no longer part of the pre-delivery checklist(if it ever was). It should be, but it's not. So put the majority of the blame where it should be: Toyota Corp., not the dealer techs.

(It's a pet peeve of mine when people assign blame to the wrong party. It's damaging in two ways. First, it directs ill will to a (mostly) innocent party, but it also means the negative feedback doesn't get to the party that needs to hear it in order to actually effect change.)

SM-S901U ?

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hey, I don't think it's been more than a thousand.

Looks like you're right, which is kinda nuts. If I was a Service Manager I think I'd be a rebel, ensure cars rolling off the lot had the spec'd air pressures. < See Addendum below.

Looking at the attached (just found with a google search), appears they only need to check the pressure on the (very elusive these days) spare tire. < See Addendum below.

FWIW, when we purchased our new '10, spare pressure was around 40 psi. 12 volt battery was dead-as-a-doornail too, mercifully dead enough that they couldn't mask it.

As always, that was Open Road Toyota in Port Moody; always like to give them a plug. :)

Addendum:

Hang on:

upload_2024-5-28_11-20-11.png

The one linked here corroborates:

https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/threads/pre-delivery-inspection.3824/post-56846

Attached Files:

#111 Mendel Leisk, May 28, 2024
    bisco and Preebee like this.
  12. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Corolla Cross Hybrid has a higher maximum emergency avoidance speed (55 mph) than Gen 5 Prius (54 mph) according to Consumer Reports.

RAV4 non-HEV scored lower (73) than both Gen 5 Prius (76) and Corolla Cross Hybrid (82) in the Consumer Reports road test. RAV4 HEV scored 78 and RAV4 Prime PHEV scored 88.

You are also still forgetting that Corolla Cross Hybrid and Corolla Cross are different cars. Corolla Cross rides worse. However, Corolla Cross got an incredible maximum emergency avoidance speed of 58 mph; therefore, despite your impression, it is as secure as it gets.

#112 Gokhan, May 28, 2024
  13. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    You're 100% correct. Consumer Reports has lost all credibility - at least with respect to the car we all love. The only people quoting it in this forum are the agenda-driven trolls who like to answer questions about a car they do not even own.

Like you said, the G5 (and it's not only your Limited) drives like a freakin' dream. In fact, the driving experience is one of its MOST redeeming qualities. No, it is not the most quiet car on the road, but driving silence comes with a cost, and that cost is weight. If I was offered a silent Prius for a 20% fuel economy reduction, I would pass. And as happy as I am with my LE, if you have the Prime... you truly are driving in peace.

On another note, while running errands today, I noticed again how incredibly comfortable the G5 seats are. One thing to keep in mind next time you drive, make sure you have your seat slid forward far enough. You want your left foot planted firmly on the foot rest and bent in a relaxed position. That slight pressure from a planted foot helps position you perfectly in the back of the chair. Soooo comfortable. In this position (at least for me and I'm 6'3) the bottom "dead zone" of the instrument cluster is cut off by the top of the steering wheel (as it should be). You just want the important bits of the cluster sitting on top of the wheel like an analog heads-up display.

Coming up on a year of ownership and I still occasionally look for excuses to go out for "enjoyment driving" sessions. Streaming music sounds awesome and clear (to me), fuel economy is unbelievable, road feel and acceleration is inspiring, and my bones don't suffer from poor support.

Motortrend COY. Makes sense.

GcinFl and dbstoo like this.
  14. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I've got to imagine that in SOMEBODY'S manual, there is a directive to ensure the tire pressure is at factory spec before releasing. Any other reality would be to needlessly invite legal jeopardy. Tire pressure is ALWAYS supposed to be checked at oil changes for this same reason. If you leave the dealership with 50lbs of pressure in your tires and skid off a rain-soaked bridge... an attorney will have an open and shut case.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It is, in the pdi document's I posted above. Two examples, found with google search, and they both say to inspect the tires AND pressures.

Preebee likes this.
  16. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    And never forget to inspect the tire pressure for the spare if there is one as well as well when you inspect the tire pressure for the four tires. A deflated spare = no spare. ;)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    like a deflated ego

18. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Here are the 2020 Prius Prime predelivery service and predelivery checklist:

2020 Prius Prime predelivery-service check sheet
    2020 Prius Prime predelivery service

There is no tire-pressure check. However, they must initialize the tire-pressure warning system (TPWS), which requires precisely adjusting the cold-tire pressure to factory specifications compensated for the current ambient temperature.

#118 Gokhan, May 28, 2024
    Last edited: May 29, 2024
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Strange, the one you posted is Prius specific. The one I found, that does say check tire pressures, is for “all models”. Both have Toyota letterhead and indicate US market.

what are we determining again, that dealerships are just following orders? Not rhetorical, lol.

Gokhan likes this.
  20. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Some PDIs I've seen also say that a rapid deflation of the tyres by at least some number of PSI is needed to wake up the TPMS sensors. I'm guessing there's some sort of first-time-use hardware power switch that is triggered by that.

So from that, I'd expect TPMS errors if they hadn't done anything with the tyres. But maybe they're just pushing the valve enough to wake up the sensors without going all the way to a checked correct pressure.