1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Latest snow

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by spiderman, May 18, 2013.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It snowed on the east coast of Canada too, in Newfoundland/Labrador. 50-60cm (just under 2 feet) fell over the weekend.

Newfoundland digs itself out of record 54cm snowfall | Canada | News | National Post

2. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    BTW the Nenana Ice Classic had the latest ice breakup in HISTORY.A NEW RECORD of global cooling.
    All of 100 years .HUGE in geologic time frames.

"
    Geophysicist Martin Jeffries at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks said in 2008,
    Wall Street Journal – March 7, 2008
    Climate Watchers Place Own Big Bet On Alaska’s Thaw
    The Ice Classic has given them a rare, reliable climate history that has documented to the minute the onset of the annual thaw as it shifted across 91 years. By this measure, spring comes to central Alaska 10 days earlier than in 1960, said geophysicist Martin Jeffries at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks — and that trend is accelerating. “The Nenana Ice Classic is a pretty good proxy for climate change in the 20th century,” Dr. Jeffries said."

3. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Not for everyone (optional nude babes),but the best place on the Earth is "Red Sand Beach" near the Community center of Hana Maui.
    Cove surrounded by cliffs.Breakwater for completely safe swimming.Amazing birds living in the cliffs.
    Secret trail access.
    Secret is go down to black beach , then continue 30 yards upward to easy trail.Otherwise its dangerous.
    90 year old can make it if you do the right trail.
    Believe me its the best beach on Earth.

JMD and spiderman like this.
  4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

1.5ft. fell over higher elevations of the Canadian Rockies over the past 2 days. This is in addition to the 80-100mm that fell in the lower elevations. There are High Streamflow advisories in place as the rivers and basins have risen rapidly (and once the low pressure system weakens, there's still that snow to melt that will continue filling those rivers and tributaries until the next system comes in for early next week. Eek!)

spiderman likes this.
  6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, they have flood/ice watches on the Yukon and other interior rivers. We had 70 yesterday and today... instant summer. :)

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    snowed in vermont today, people were calling ski areas to see if they were going to open.o_O

spiderman likes this.
  8. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chrystal MT in Washington State is open this weekend, with~15" of fresh!

Icarus

spiderman likes this.
  9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not snow, but heard San Antonio TX has got flooding.? Wonder if this will reverse the drought conditions?

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Nice!

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Swimming pools opened up here for Memorial Day (some stayed closed) due to the coldest stretch of weather since 1972 (40's at night for about 3 or 4 nights in a row). Timing not too bad though, we expect humid 90's in a few days. Still May 2013 has to go down as a cold month, as per Jan-Apr 2013.

spiderman likes this.
  12. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Central texas is still a little behind in rainfall, but its not really a drought this year. Extreme weather is kind of normal here:( The dry makes things flood more as the water can't soak in. The real problem with drought is not this year, but its multi-year dry spell with extremely low rains in 2011. That has got the lakes and aquifers low. We need multiple years of normal rain to fill them back up.

I'm going to make it to alaska in mid June. It looks like it will be unseasonably cold. Any long range forecasts from the alaska posters. I will be in denali the 17th, and ankorage the 20th

spiderman likes this.
  13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a problem in most places. The new 'normal' is anything but. All of this 'unseasonable' weather is further evidence of climate change.

<edit: On a related note, though not related directly to your comments, >...suggesting that global warming is false because it's cold is really not a very bright thing to say.

14. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not quite sure what you read into my statement, but no I was not saying central texas's weather has now changed drastically. We had the decade without rain in the 1940s-1950s. The Russian heat wave temperatures look moderate compared to one of our cooler summers.;) We get 90+ degree days that switch to cold and hail. When Stevie Ray Vaughn recorded Texas flood he was covering a song written in the 50s.

I do not know how you got anything out of my post that suggested I was picking the cold to disprove global warming. I don't even know what that means. We have thermometers. But it seems every time there is a tornado in tornado alley its somehome proof that weather has gotten more extreme.

15. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Why do people put there name at he end of a post, we know who made the post.

16. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I got a Tour book and Red Sand Beach was mentioned. We will definitely go there. I'll keep my swimming trunks on.

I have a Convertible mustang and will do the road to Hana. Ever do that? Worth It?

image.jpg

image.jpg

17. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's sort of like signing a letter, even though in a business letter format the writers name is at the top.It just feels naked without.

Wishing you a good day,

Icarus

18. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It usually is proof of the weather getting more extreme if you choose a short enough timeframe. However it's not proof of the climate getting more extreme.:D

19. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well....I wasn't. At least, I hadn't intended to. Sorry. I've edited my post to make it clearer.

I was commenting on the oft-heard 'Sure is cold. So much for global warming.' sentiment, which I thought was related to your comments, though of course not specifically correlated to them.

And maybe the climate in central Texas hasn't changed, but it has in many other parts of the world.

20. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm guessing it is a personal choice, but this is an informal communication. Not a business communication.

Why no logo?