1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Latest Software Update Safety Recall Resulting in 8mpg less...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ravencr, Apr 13, 2014.

1. neez

neez Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea, recalls are expensive. Manufacturers only do them for safety reasons, to satisfy the NHTSA. For reliability or other concerns, they just issue TSB's to tell the dealer how to fix the problem, at warranty or your own expense.

2. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    If the p-brake light is working, but are you really sure? I would manually apply and release the p-brake and then further have the rear jacked up so the rear wheels can be checked for free-wheeling.

spiderman likes this.
  3. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you were only getting in the low 40's before the recall then you have another problem too!

4. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE

Perhaps this was asked about or mentioned/answered already, but did you have any other services performed along with the software update? For example, if you had an oil change done, you would want to make sure the oil isn't past the Full mark of the dipstick and also that they used the correct weight oil.

5. thomas goddard

thomas goddard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My mileage has dropped by 10 MPG also, just had the recall done, filled the tank at the same station as always and bingo, loss of mpg. I will be returning to the dealership as soon as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^Is that loss for the tankful that included the service? Maybe they had the car sitting, running, for a protracted period, and that tanked the mileage?

Oh, and: if they disconnect the battery you lose the tripmeter data, could that be a factor?

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wait a sec, is that true? The indicated is lower than actual? Or typo?

8. MonteCristo

MonteCristo New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just want to share with the group that I have noted an overall drop in MPG as well. I drive about 2500 - 3000 miles per month with a 10/90 (city/hwy) spread. During the summer, I would consistently get 56-62 mpg between fill-ups. This number has dropped by approximately 5 mpg. Couple of behavioral changes in the engine management that I've noticed:

1. If the weather is too hot, even when driving downhill at less than 42 mph, it still insists on kicking in the gas engine.

2. After driving on the hwy for 60+ min and exiting, it keeps the engine running uselessly for a few minutes.

In the winter time, the mpg is worse in general - by about 4 mpg - because it keeps wanting to warm up the engine.

I hope this helps.

PearlBlizzard likes this.
  9. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have a 2011 Prius Two. I have not lost any mpg since I have had the recall done. No other problems because of it either. I think if anything I have gained about 2 or 3 mpg.

10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Reposting, since this is a multipage thread.

11. ravencr

ravencr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got a call from Toyota finally. I plan to take mine in to have them check everything again. Still no improvement here.

12. thomas goddard

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mendel, I drove from the dealer after the recall was done, filled it up and this is based on that tank of fuel, computer generated mpg is now at 40.1

13. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Recall done no change.

14. thomas goddard

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Serivenkat, nothing done to the car except for the recall and a free wash job!!

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ That's exactly what I got. Mileage maybe a bit better post-update, the car seems to slip into electric-only a bit more readily. Maybe the suggestions about the 2 steps of the update not being completed properly?

16. thomas goddard

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I am going to bring that up to the dealership on the 20th, the dealership just changed hands and I don't see a lot of the old people around anymore, could of been a newbee that didn't know or hasn't done many of the recalls. I called this dealership about a month ago and asked about when I could bring the car in for the recall and the SM didn't have a clue about any Prius recalls!!

17. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, that doesn't sound encouraging. :(

SCH-I535

18. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm wondering if our ideas of cause and affect here are a bit linear. I can not even begin to tell you how many times I have worked on the electronics I work on that someone has afterwards called and said "it wasn't doing that before you came out", and their new issue was totally unrelated. I have had my a$$ kicked so many times making assumptions and have learned that working backwards from a symptom can lead to another problem, whether induced or not.

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is accurate because I'm running over-diameter tires on the front wheels and they turn slower:
    • Just under 6% larger - the odometer and mph are off by that amount as is the indicated MPG.
    • Reduces transmission drag from slower rotation speeds.
    • Lets car keep up with traffic on 40 mph streets yet stay in hybrid mode.
    • Larger diameter, 14" tires are actually light-duty, pickup tires with a higher load rating than the stock or replacement tires.
    In effect, they provide an overdrive effect which of course tops "Top Gear". The indicated metrics are off but an engineer, I do the calibration correction in my head . . . for amusement.

Bob Wilson

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. thomas goddard

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had to re-schedule my 20th appointment to the 23rd, I took a short trip today and it looks like the computer is re-thinking as the mpg was up to 49.7 at one time. City driving seems to be a little better but no where near what it should be. Will post dealer results after the 23rd.