1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Latest tech for phone music on basic Prius stereo?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Bunce, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Bunce

Bunce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So we have a 2005 basic Prius. No 3.5mm jack that I've found and certainly no bluetooth.
    I've read threads with FM transmitters etc, but they're dated and I'm wondering if there's any new options available.
    I don't mind using a cable if we have to. If that's possible. Is there a jack in the back I can just put a 3.5mm cable in?

2. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've looked into all the available upgrades 12 ways from Sunday. There are ways to add an aux input to your factory radio.

There's this:

Auxiliary Input for Select Lexus / Scion / Toyota 1998-2012

You can get it for $50 on Amazon and you have to pull the whole dash apart anyhow.

Fact is, if you go to Crutchfield, you can get a brand-new, modern radio and all the install bits for about twice that.

So unless you're some sort of purist who insists that your Prius look 100% original, why not just get a modern radio?

At least that's what I think. And my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Dan Clatk likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah the easiest way is just to add a module with a 3.5mm jack. As long as your phone has a headphone jack (And you have the 3.5mm wire), you can connect your phone to the car. I had a DICE Electronics iPod/AUX adapter in my 2005 Prius that allowed both iPod and non-Apple products to be played.

4. Bunce

Bunce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No cheaper options? I only paid $500 for the whole car. It seems a bit ridiculous putting 10% of the cost into a little gadget.

5. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My sincerest apologies for not providing you a cheap enough solution.

For $3 you can figure out which pins on the back of the radio provide auxiliary input. Buy a 1/8" TRS cable, strip the ends off one end, and solder directly to the pins.

There. Is that cheap enough for you? I can't think of anything cheaper.

Edit: Just thought of a cheaper option. Sing to yourself.

cthorsman and SFO like this.
  6. gta_

gta_ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Theres always the option to just leave the stereo off and get a cheap bluetooth speaker for your phone to play through..

7. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    But seriously, folks...

If you are serious about DIY, I found some instructions to do it virtually free here:

Adding a free Aux in to a 2007 Prius | Coreforge

If that's above your skill set, there's a $20 plug-n-play solution on Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com /dp/B01LPTLFLC/ref=psdc_1293685011_t1_B00H265M8U

(eliminate the spaces from that URL, the software is doing something funky to it.)

Bunce and padroo like this.
  8. Bunce

Bunce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
  9. Bunce

Bunce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Right , I'm trying to get this thing working but not having much luck. It's plugged in the back. It has power because it's light is on but when I push the CD button on the stereo it just says " No CD".
    I noticed on a YouTube video the CD button on their stereo also says aux on it. Mine does not.
    Any ideas?
    20180211_111929.jpg

20180211_111857.jpg

10. Bunce

Bunce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
  11. Prius Pete

Prius Pete Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have an Aux2Car in my base 2004. It accesses the CD changer port to provide an aux input. Then I added Bluetooth using a cheap adapter from eBay that is powered with a USB adapter within the center armrest. I also replaced the rear speakers with some decent 3-way speakers which made a big difference in sound quality. Add a good phone mount and I'm rockin!

I have also added a backup camera, rear parking sensors, LED headlights and a shark fin antenna, all inexpensive on eBay. My 14 year old car seems pretty up to date.

12. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey! That limitations of damages clause is mine! In another thread I stated a similar limitations and was accused of giving bad advice without feeling guilty. I can tell that guy wasn't a lawyer!

egg_salad likes this.