1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Latest Toyota recall includes NO Prius models

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by LeadingEdgeBoomer, Jan 21, 2010.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  2. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Certain people still are of the belief that Neil Armstrong landed in Arizona and that everything after that was all staged. If that's his belief....well....then facts don't matter.

3. blueumbrella

blueumbrella Member of Prius Regeneration

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with you, the response from hockeydad comes across as hostile and superior. This kind of message is condescending in tone and is intended to discourage anyone expressing a point of view other then that of the OP. Thanks

4. LeadingEdgeBoomer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I AM the OP, and I expressed no opinion or POV. See #1, and also #15.

5. hockeydad

hockeydad New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I AM the person who made the alleged "superior and hostile" post, LOL. Clearly, you haven't been around too many web sites, or you would know my post was pretty mild...:rolleyes:

Oh, and it was "meant to discourage" posters who put up stuff without a shred of evidence. If you want to make a serious allegation, like what was made, then at least have some integrity and follow it up with something of substance. You know, some peolple actually believe EVERYTHINg they read on the internet. Throwing out mindless, factless stuff doesn't do anybody any good.

My position is - It is the poster who throws out stuff, hoping that something sticks, and does not provide some credible info to support their position/allegation ...does a far greater DIS-SERVISE to readers, than people like me that will challenge every post I disagree with.

If you don't like my tone, then don't read what I post. I could care less, as I'm not here to make friends. I'm here to learn more about the Prius. But it would be greatly appreciated if posts had some credibility, and I don't have to worry about sifting out all the BS, from what's factual.

I make NO appologies. :rockon:

6. mmichaell

mmichaell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The fact that Toyota today is suspending sales of most Toyotas due to this issue makes it fairly obvious problem is not the floor mats or accel pedals...

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If they really believed it was not one of these issues, why did they stop sales only of North American-produced units containing pedals from just one particular North American supplier?

Sales and production of units made in Japan, or in North America with pedals from the other supplier, appear to be unaffected.

8. hockeydad

hockeydad New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

What does this have to do with the Prius? :confused: This is a Prius forum, right? The Prius is not on any recall, and sales/manufacturing has not been suspended. Why don't you wait until they are before jumping to any conclusion. Don't try to whitewash all Toyota products with one brush. :eek:

9. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hockeydad, I understand your point. Nonetheless, I am concerned about the halt to sales. This may be partly because I seriously considered buying a Camry. More importantly, the halt to sales damages Toyota's reputation considerably, and we may well feel the effect of that in the re-sale value of our vehicles. In addition, if Toyota becomes less profitable, then Toyota may not be able to carry out its plans for future Priuses.

10. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Remember the US federal government has ordered Toyota to stop the sale of all of these models. Simply, unprecedented at this scale.

11. mmichaell

mmichaell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, as with any large corporation, their actions may not necessarily reflect what the actual problem is, especially when money, politics, and regulation are involved.

That being said, I could really care less since the Prius I drive is not affected; I still like Toyota cars fwiw.

12. hockeydad

hockeydad New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    See below...:cool:

13. hockeydad

hockeydad New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

As someone who owned an Audi 5000, back in the days of when Audi had a much, much bigger problem with their "unintended acceleration" issue, I'm here to say that the way toyota is handling this is a stand-up job! To me, the consumer, it instills confidence in Toyota that they are willing to take a big $$ hit by suspending sales and production of certain vehicles (ie not the Prius) until they have a solution. If you're old enough to remember what Audi did, they basically ignored the problem until enough people had been killed, and then 60 Minutes did a story. Then Audi (in the German press) blamed the American drivers as "stupid" and unintelligent drivers. There is some truth to this, by the way...IMO. But still, you don't say this to the press. In essence, Audi shifted the blame back on the American driver. It was a HUGE, HUGE PR fiasco for Audi/VW. But in the end, Audi bounced back stronger than ever, and are kicking both Mercedes and BMW's butts.

I don't believe this will impact the sales of Prii - at all. In fact, it might even have a positive bounce in sales, as some buyeers that are on the fence between different Toyota models, the Prius included, may now elect to buy the Prius...exactly because they are NOT on this list!

You view the cup as half empty, while I view it as half full. Toyota is handling this issue the way they should, and have instilled even greater confidence that they will do the right thing...rather than dragging their feet, or trying to sweep it under the rug.

Let me also say that there is not a car on the market that hasn't had problems, or had recalls. Over the 15 or so different cars that I've owned in my life, I think every one of them has had some recall at some point. I simply don't get worked up about it. Recalls are for the media, blog sites and car magazines to talk about...after all, they have to talk about something, and in toyota's case, everyone wants to take a pot shot at #1.

14. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It will be interesting to see if you feel the same way 2-3 months from now as the real story comes out. NHTSA ordered the halt, and there may be more coming.

15. hockeydad

hockeydad New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

LOL, what is the "real story"? Com'on, man, share some factual info...if you actually got any. I'll wait, but we all know you got jack. Oh, and the NHTSA does not have the authority to halt production. Man, is there anything in your post that isn't made up? Anything?

But your avatar and "my car" description, says you're a troll. You don't even have the balls to say where you are...LOL.

Get back to me when there's a recall on the Prius, troll. But if there is, so what? Your point? :rolleyes:

In the meantime, all you got is the speculation in your little brain. :rockon:

16. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    U.S. auto safety regulators said today that Toyota was legally required to stop production on eight models under recall for faulty accelerator pedals.

The real story is Toyota has known about this problem for almost a year and has done nothing. I first heard about it at a dealer meeting in Feb of 2009. It will be painful for those of you who have slammed the Toyota 'kool-aid'.

17. hockeydad

hockeydad New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Wrong.

LOL. Again with the made-up facts. Toyota was "legally" required to "suspend SALES" of the affected models. Toyota has every legal right to continue production, if they so chose. Toyota could have continued to manufacture these vehicles, and put them in inventory. Stopping a manufacturing line is a big deal. It is extremely rare, if ever, for a car manufacturer to suspend/stop the PRODUCTION of a car currently undergoing a recall. Name where this has happened before, and provide a link to support the information.

"Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told Chicago radio station WGN that the government asked Toyota to stop selling the vehicles."

A whole year? Don't mix and match the floor match issue with the sticking gas pedal. But that said - getting a few data points (a year ago), that may have suggested there may be a problem - on 2.5 million cars - is NOT enough evidence for it to become an actionable item. Without a significantly meanigful data set to clearly point to a problem - no car manufacturer is going to do anything at that point. What hard data did they have 1 year ago? Did they have two events where something happend? Three? Get real.

Audi's "unintended acceleration" problem, after years of investigation, countless studies and reams of bad press...ultimately resulted in the finding that the brake and gas peddle on this particular Audi were positioned too close to one another for the typical American (overweight) driver. Audi did not come right out and say it this bluntly, but the undertone of what they concluded clearly indicated the problem was NOT with their engineering, but with American drivers.

All this aside, this has what to do with the Prius? Troll away.

"Last Thursday, Toyota recalled 2.3 million vehicles after two recent incidents in New Jersey and Texas were under investigation by NHTSA, making the decision to recall the vehicles without figuring out how to fix the problem. But Toyota had a legal requirement to stop selling the models. It isn't clear why Toyota continued to sell the models for another five days. "

18. HelloMyPrius

HelloMyPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Part of the problem of unintended acceleration is related to the brakes that fail to work when people apply the brakes. I am wondering G3 brake issue and unintended acceleration are related. Thoughts?

19. hockeydad

hockeydad New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

No, they are not related.

And as far as Audi's problem - Not what I remember.

I lived this problem with the Audi. I had one. Don't remember any reports about the brakes not working. That was the allegation, but the ultimate conclusion (from the countless studies) was that some people were pressing the gas, instead of, or simultaneously when pressing the brakes. The conclusion was the separation between the brake and gas peddles was too narrow for (faT) American feet. Again, not in any official Audi finding, but that's the undertone...they put the real blame back on the American driver. Initially, Audi officially sited "driver error", and not engineering defect. They were villified over this position, but ultimately, I think they were vindicated. To my knowledge, there were no incidents of unintended acceleration outside of the US. Odd?

I'm not going to say which complaints/issues are real, and which are due to "driver error". But I will say that having driven in many countries, for many years, my own opinion is that Americans are - by far - the worst in terms of their ability to control their automobile.

20. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Now now. There is no need to blame the buyer for being typical (as you put it). Being fat is not worthy of a death sentence. And don't tell me that no Europeans are overweight. If what you say is true, then it is bad engineering if a car can't handle a typical (as you say) US customer. Any engineer will tell you that. I guess fat Europeans deserve to die too?

If Audi really said that, they are a lousy company.

It is so easy get into the trap of blaming the operator. Too fat and lazy. Too thin and weak? Too short? Too tall. Too stupid to shut down the engine when the accelerator is stuck. Does the car only work for one body type and people of above average intelligence? Don't they know their customers? What sort of third rate engineers did they use. This is one sorry excuse for bad engineering.

By the way, the United Nations thinks Europeans are getting fat too - see link below. I get no delight in this. Just pointing out that people are all the same. And lots of other countries are doing exactly the same - getting fat. As living standards increase for a number of years, we all get fatter. Europe was a little behind because of the war but they are catching up with a vengeance.

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=18525&Cr=FAO&Cr1=