1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Laurel caynon causes my brake to smoke.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by terramir, Mar 3, 2018.

1. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For the $2300 you should be closer to a Toyota original new battery. New modules, but you re-use your old ECUs and things, they need to be swapped over, plus the core charge/refund thing.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    higher end pads and rotors will probably improve things, but i'm not familiar. maybe in the mod forum?

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you using "B" on the mode (gear) select when travelling down the Laurel Canyon?

4. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll bring a battery with completly depleted modules I got a spare core so I won't have to deal with the core charge turns out I can get one of those for like 1650-1700 (plus sales tax I assume) if I drive to kansas. I just read somewhere in the forums. While repairing restoring this battery I have bought so many 1st a core right when I got it and then a bunch of modules on eBay. so I could drive up with a fully assembled core easily. Now just where to get $1700 plus tax being on disabillity. I might have to start a go fund me campaign cause right now it would take me the better part of a year to save that kind of money.

Yes tried this but the speeds are from 25 to 35, and the battery fills too quickly. And I just have to bite in there and figure out what is causing the problem.
    or I could replace it with one from the junk yard but then I gotta bleed the brakes I do have a cable but I never tried to see if that function works with my cheap cable.
    can anyone here walk me through the function to bleed so I can test that b4 I go off looking for a caliper at the junk yard. btw what brake fluid does the prius take does the standard stuff work?
    terramir

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would HIGHLY recommend calling ahead before driving there to pickup this mythical $1650 packs. The member that keeps spewing that has not done it himself, and ignores when people say it doesn't work that way.

6. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was going to suggest Nicoderm :rolleyes:

bisco likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When coming down Mount Seymour I put it in B at the top, and the battery charge display shows "full" before I'm even half-way down, but the battery apparently continues to charge for some time, at least it displays that it's continuing to charge. Now even if it completely ceases charging, falls back to friction brakes only, that's not the end of the world: I've yet to have brakes overheat. I keep in B pretty much all the way down, except on stretches where it levels out enough that you'd need to touch the gas.

#27 Mendel Leisk, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    WilDavis likes this.
  8. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah I know the Pennsylvania dealer states to call and the price is listed at 1699, now I was not planning to travel to New York (got family there) anytime soon lol. but I'm overdue for a Nebraska visit. but yeah I would not just call and confirm I would ask for it in writing period.
    Actually, News Flash! I just called thousand oaks Toyota, and they said they would honor their website price. And this is in California, near Los Angeles, and their price currently is $1640.58 with sales tax that is $1758 and some change. Word of warning though, you might want to have the core already handy, because the state of California, robs the sales tax on core charges, i.e. you have to hand them the core first or your out about $120 tax on the core charge because it's not refundable.
    terramir

#28 terramir, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought when the battery was full, the engine soaked up the energy to avoid friction brakes?

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With battery full, I think B mode will continue to use engine breaking, to help slow the car, and if it's steep enough grade that that's not cutting it, you step on the brakes, and it's solely the brake pads doing the work.

Again, even coming down Seymour, following that regimen, the car at least claimed to still be charging by the time I got to the bottom. The state of charge had been at full for some time though.

The only time I've ever noticed a hybrid switch over to friction brakes only was on our previous Civic Hybrid. There most any long steep hill, nearing the bottom there was good chance regen would quit, and it was actually unsettling: you suddenly needed to press harder on the brake, to get the same effect.

That said, I believe with the Plug-In the behavours are different? Also, I'd think the PIP battery can be charging a lot longer before topped up?

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, pip behaves differently, according to reports. we don't have any mountains for me to test.
    for the o/p's situation, perhaps the pads are necessarily wearing as you state. unusual situation, to say the least though.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For reference. I'm guessing with Laurel Canyon, beginning/end of the steep slope. Also, can't figure out how to display elevations on Google Maps. I'm guessing he needs a brake inspection, get the caliper pins relubed.

upload_2018-3-16_17-58-14.png
    upload_2018-3-16_17-58-58.png

bisco likes this.
  13. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    BTW after finding out that price I decided to go for it and start a go fund me page the link is in another sub forum cause it definitely does not belong in this one. New HV Battery Fundraiser | PriusChat
    terramir

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly.
    You think wrong, as this is not the way it works in B or even in D once the HV battery is full.

In essence what happens is, once the HV battery is (truly) full, the ICE is swapped in to provide the same braking force that was supplied by regen. This even extends to the the first part of the pedal press that would use regen, now uses the ICE. This can be heard quite distinctly when you depress the brake pedal. You have to be pressing the brake pedal pretty hard to engage the hydraulic brakes.

If the OP says this is not happening when his battery is full, then he has something going on and sounds like there may be something that is broken.

15. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Read post #28.

I am one who advocates people price shop online dealers and see if their local dealer will price match or at least lower their asking price, as the OP has done. Good for him for doing the little bit of work in making some actual phone calls. Unfortunately too many people can't be bothered to do something that simple.

Yes, I have not had to replace the HV batt yet. But, I have already done my homework and know which online dealers WILL sell to the public at the listed online price. Now when the actual time comes to replace the HV Batt, I will reverify because I know workers/decision makers move around, which may effect my ability to purchase.

Don't blame me for people being lazy.

16. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    GOOD for you!

Don't forget. You will have to transplant some components from your current HV Battery case into the new replacement. Unfortunately it's not plug and play, like say a starter: bring your old one, leave with a working rebuilt/remanufactured one. Be prepared to spend some time doing this at the dealer
    parking lot; hopefully they won't mind..

#36 exstudent, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  17. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Presuming one does not alter the caliper or master cylinder piston area(s), there are exactly two things that affect brake performance and neither are marketed by ANY aftermarket supplier because they have ZERO clue about what those numbers are.

They are:
    Coefficient of friction of pads and rotor
    Mass of the rotor

Drilled and/or slotted rotors do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for passenger cars and light trucks, total marketing cr@p.

You want high friction components and the highest mass rotor you can by in the original design. Now, admittedly slightly greater mass does not assure one of more heat absorbing ability because the specific heat of steel, iron and their alloys are not all the same, but the idea is sound. The differences in specific heat are less than the differences in mass.

Brakes do only ONE thing: Turn inertia into heat, period.

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm inclined to agree that there's not much room for exotic designs to improve anything for a Prius, but I'm not sure the whole brake market can be reduced to such simple terms.

It is not quite just that brakes turn inertia into heat, period. The name of the game is to turn inertia into heat and shed it.

Otherwise, nobody would do ventilated rotors. They would have more mass, and hence more heat absorbing ability, if that vaned area were solid metal all the way through. But the engineers add the vanes so that instead of just having to absorb more heat, they can get rid of more heat.

My understanding of drilling/slotting is that it's specifically to combat brake fade resulting from vaporized pad material floating the pad off the rotor. I doubt the brakes on a Prius are likely to encounter those conditions!

So, if the OP is experiencing actual fade (brakes working well to a point, then sudden decrease in effectiveness), there might be a reason to explore drills/slots; otherwise, yeah, just bling.

If the OP's concern is just that there is a lot of heat or some smoke, I would leave aside the exotic bling, inspect carefully to rule out any dragging of the brakes, and then just look at technique (get as much from regen/engine braking as possible, and if additional braking is needed on the descent, do it in occasional firm applications with cooling periods between, not a constant riding of the brake).

-Chap

19. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah I need more capacity energy wise, and we'll need to figure out wth is wrong with that brake on drags when it gets smoking hot. Which doesn't happen that often. Don't suffer from a decrease in braking capacity after I'm done with laura gotta kick the rim to stop the dragging though.
    Yeah the motor kicks in but in some of the winding down hills gotta jam more on the brake. Was hoping the drilled and slotted rotors would create more airflow to get rid of the heat heck there only 19 bucks more for the set.
    terramir

20. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While you are spot-on regarding the dissipation of heat as well, one is ill-advised to "stab-brake" on steep descents. Choosing the correct gear to descend a hill is critical and generally at least one gear lower than you can ascend it, if not two. Gentle constant pressure on the brakes will result in lower peak temperatures and zero fade risk, IF the correct gear is used. If the incorrect (too high) gear is used, you have bigger problems than can be remedied by the method of brake application.