1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LAX Parking NOT free

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Jetsurgn, May 2, 2012.

1. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, it doesn't make direct sense. But then, having Priuses in HOV lanes never made direct sense. After all, having Priuses driving at a steady speed while guzzlers sit idling in traffic will lead to higher emissions than having Priuses sitting in traffic while guzzlers drive at steady speed.

However, the key is in the indirect effect: the privileges push the market towards privileged vehicles.

2. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a matter of enforcement of the EV Charging parking spots. It would help if everyone would chip in and report infractions directly to those companies. Twitter is an easy way to report. In the past week, I received responses from both Walmart and Walgreens requesting more info so they can address the problem. Adding a Tow away for non-EV phrase to the EV Charging signs would easily solve this problem.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh, you should have seen me when I heard about people selling their Prii in order to get a Honda NGV w/ white HOV sticker. Nothing like the incentive to take a step backwards in energy efficiency.

4. epoints

epoints Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are barking to the wrong hand. Why don't you complaint to Toyota to make a pip that has huge electric battery like other EV? Apparently you can't and no one would listen to you. So why is it pip owners' fault?

5. rhymbu

rhymbu New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because you could buy a Volt or a Leaf.

6. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You're missing the point; the PiP is superior to the Volt in many ways, it has 12 years of proven history, it gets better MPG when the EV range is depleted, it seats 5 passengers, and has more interior space. The ONLY advantage the Volt has is it's 35-45 mile EV range. The Leaf does not work or many here, I reserved a Leaf on 4/20/2010, ordered it in 11/2011 (when we could finally submit a RAQ in Boston), I went on a 3 hour test drive with a dealer loaner (from the dealer I ordered it from), the Leaf arrived 1/30/2012, by then it was obvious to me I could not take delivery of the vehice... Main reason? I need a 1 car solution, Leafs highway range in cold temperatures, with crappy weather could be as low as 50 miles, 70 with California like temperatures and conditions. That's just not enough for me, and I would have to keep the old Prius AND the Leaf, with multiple insurance premiums and depreciation as well.. No thanks.

My overall EV/HV percentage is very high, as I always drive to work mostly in EV, and my return trip is also mostly EV, as we have 120V outlets in the garage I park in. Just because the PiP only has a 12-15 mile EV range, doesn't mean many of us are not %80 EV / %20 HV (gas)

Also many here would never even consider a first generation GM Volt versus a 3rd generation Toyota Prius.

Get used to us, as there are going to be tens of thousands of plug in hybrids, while only a handful of full EVs are sold. When the 240-300 miles Tesla Model S is availbe, and is priced more in line, then things might change.. For now minimizing gas use is what most will do.

EVs only work in multiple car family's right now, that's the reality. Suck it up and accept it, or move on back to MNL.

1 person likes this.
  7. rhymbu

rhymbu New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

You're not getting my point. The free parking at LAX for EV drivers was created to compensate EV drivers for the sacrifices they made to drive EVs. It was not set up to boost the sales of Plug in Prii, 90% of which will drive into LAX on gas. As you have said, there will be a lot of you and it's unsustainable for us to let you have free parking.

8. usdmattiphone

usdmattiphone Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Can you cite your source that it's intention was to compensate EV drivers? Otherwise, since they allow PHEV it would seem that evidence dictates contrary to your hypothesis. The "compensation" you get for driving an EV is non oil reliance, you are not entitled to anything, and hating on others who have chosen to spend the extra money to invest in an emerging hybrid technology, does no good for the image you're representing for EV drivers (regardless if you drive an EV yourself).

9. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No, only the drivetrain design has 12 years of proven history. The battery system is brand new, as far as the chemistry, module construction, and SoC management goes. Just like the Volt, this is Lithium version 1.0. You are all guinea pigs. Good luck.

10. epoints

epoints Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you work for LAX?!?!? How do you know why they setup the charge stations? Like you know? And what's this us and you crap?!?

How come there are not more of you (Leaf or Volt) if these cars are so good, even with high incentives??? Oh! That's right! Enough said.

What?!? Next thing you going to tell Prii to "go back where they came from?"

11. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    EV buyers are incented by government in many ways: tax credits, HOV stickers, free parking, etc. Since the PiP is just a marginal improvement over a Gen III, with relatively small marginal cost as well, the tax credit is small -- the barest minimum -- and other perks are debatable. This is one of those, just because you can doesn't necessarily make it right, since it is not really what the regulators intended. IMHO, the only cars that deserve special treatment are the ones that qualify for the full $7500 tax credit. The bigger the battery, the better the economies of scale, the lower the cost per kWh, the less dependence on foreign oil. Either go big, or go home.

12. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And what exactly was it that the regulators intended?

13. rhymbu

rhymbu New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The chargers at LAX were put in before PHEVs were even invented. They were intended to be used to charge EVs.

Yes, go back from where you came from. There are not more of us because people are afraid of not being able to charge because of a PHEV blocking the space they need. I'm tired of having to waste hours of time and extra money to recharge because some jackass thinks they need a few extra miles in their PHEV battery. Not that I'm saying I'm irresponsible and let it happen often but when it does it sucks.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Unsustainable? You mean like cheep gas? You mean like carcinogins being spewed into the air? You mean like terrorist countries wanting to kill us in part because we set up dictators in mid-east countries, so we can manipulate their policy and thus make it necessary for them to sell us their natural resources? See ... both sides have agendas. Sorry to hear all the whining about all this . . . but all of the, "it's all about me" mentality is the nature of the beast.

15. usdmattiphone

usdmattiphone Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Do you have a problem with the Plugin Prius vehicles that don't park in charge spots, but reap the benefits of the free parking? If you don't then I can at least slightly see your point. But if you're just being vindictive because you want to feel somehow better than those that don't want to have to plug in else they risk being stranded, then you're on your own with a shaky leg to stand on.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Please . . . do not feed them:

[​IMG]

Thank you

1 person likes this.
  17. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lmao! :cheer2:

18. rhymbu

rhymbu New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Either you're plugging in and blocking a spot someone will likely need or you're burning gas and don't deserve the discount.

19. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How about a car that would actually make a difference in our energy problem? If a Prius owner trades a 50 mpg conventional Prius for a 75 mpg PiP, and Toyota is only selling a few thousand units a year, is that going to make any meaningful difference in our oil dependence? No. Will it contribute to Toyota's R&D so that we might see e.g. a plug-in Prius C with a 15 kWh pack in a few years? I hope so. Should PiPs get the white glove treatment in the mean time? No.

20. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I guess this being Priuschat, you're entitled to this assumption. Frankly, I find it bizarre you would use this as an example though. If it makes you feel any better, I will tell you my last car's 7 year lifetime average was 18.1 miles per gallon. My 2 tank average so far is 100.9 and my current tank is showing 125 miles per gallon with 7 bars left on the gas gauge. So.. yeah, not sure what you're saying about not making any meaningful difference in our oil dependence.

The California Clean Vehicle Rebate project specifically names the PiP and is eligible for a $1,500 rebate. The California HOV access is extended to AT-PZEVehicles (which conveniently include the PiP). The federal tax credit of $2,500 is eligible for cars with 4kWh of batteries up to the full $7,500 for cars with batteries of 16kWh or more. I just can't understand how you can claim that the benefits extended to the PiP are not what was intended by regulators. What regulators are you talking about? Specifically the regulators at LAX?