1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LAX Parking NOT free

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Jetsurgn, May 2, 2012.

1. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Tracksyde, it's no use arguing with them, some only have "an all or nothing attitude", in other words EV purists, to them we are an assault on their mantra, a mortal sin to continue using gasoline (even though we are using much, much less than we used to). We are taking up their precious EV parking spaces, and in general are in their way. To them, we should all be driving Leafs, iMEVs, or Teslas (if you need a lot of range), so there is NO excuse to "them" for continuing to use gasoline.

But mainly, we are using up resources that are for THEM, not us.

1 person likes this.
  2. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for putting it in perspective, Mitch. :p

I just didnt think a long time PC'er would have such a poor attitude towards the PiP. :confused:

3. usdmattiphone

usdmattiphone Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ok then every second you're not charging you should be charged for parking because you're blocking the spot of another leaf or tesla. Simple as that. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

4. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Seems to me Seilerts doesn't have a dog in this fight in the first place. He doesn't have a PHEV, and he lives in Santa Fe, NM. How is he affected by the incentives given to either EV or PHEV drivers in California? He says "Go big or go home." So which is he going to do?;)

5. rhymbu

rhymbu New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me explain it to you. People who don't create extra pollution should get free parking at LA. People who need a charge to get home should not be blocked by people who don't.

It's amazing how people think that buying any old prius makes you forever required to agree with any decision toyota makes for eternity.

6. conorearly

conorearly New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    San Francisco Airport has free ChargePoint EVSEs in their parking garage. If airports/businesses/ect. offer incentives like free charging for vehicles capable of utilizing this technology, I don’t see why pure EV’s should be any more entitled to these spots than PHEVs.

If someone can’t make it to where they’re going and back without a charge, they probably shouldn’t have driven a pure EV there in the first place. That or they should plan their trip around charging stations that can be reserved.

If I see an open charger spot and my PiP’s battery is running low, I’m going to take it. If you don’t like it, I would suggest getting there before I do :)

On the bright site, if you do have to sit and wait for an EVSE spot to open up, the PiP’s 4 kWh battery is a lot quicker to charge than most pure EV’s...

4 people like this.
  7. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There are also very few charging stations around because there isn't enough demand created by the small number of EV drivers, due to the cost, range limitations, etc. of EVs and this is a chicken and egg problem of EVs.

PHEVs will increase the number of (PH)EV drivers significantly since they are closer in cost to traditional ICE vehicles and do not have the same range limitations as EVs and skirt the chicken and egg problem. This will most likely increase demand to create more widespread deployment of charging stations, so adding PHEV drivers to demand side is a good thing in the longer term. In the short term, is unfortunate for both EVs and PHEVs that there are not enough charging stations.

8. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thing is, I know what is possible, and I can see now how Toyota totally shirked away from the chance produce a meaningful game-changer. They knew full well that the first model year would sell out and they could have put in a pack 2-3 times the size, and had the tax credit offset most of the purchase price increase. They also know full well that the distribution of miles driven per trip has a very long tail, and that most of the interest would be in people driving 15-30 miles each way. Instead, they produced something that serves only to compete with Enginer, PIS, Hymotion, etc. "Instead of 53 mph in EV mode with a P3191 DTC, our car will do 62 MPH with no DTC." It isn't in the marketing but it might as well be.

To me, the car meets the barest minimum standard of PHV and is just not worthy of much of anything.

9. frankbiele

frankbiele Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Any Updates on successful parking in the "lower/arrivals level of Parking Structures 1 and 6"? I am assuming the PiP is added to the list...it would be helpful if someone posted a reply email they received from the parking manager so we can show it to the cashier if any issues arise.

Does anyone know how many chargers, on average, they have? Also, what level are the chargers (I assume at least level 2).

Has anyone had the opportunity to use a regular 120v outlet in the parking garage, and if so did you use a lock on the charger? This would be a logical solution to the range anxiety issue our friends with the total electric (Zero Emission EV) might/do have. My only issue with that is the possibility that my 120v Prius cordset ( costly item) is stolen (even with the flimsy lock in place.

Another possible option for PiP that check bags: Park you car in a non-charger spot. When you arrive back, instead of proceeding directly to baggage claim go to your car and find a level 2 charger. When you get your bags (30min- an hour later) the PiP will get an adequate charge and not hog up a meter for the whole time you are parked.

10. epoints

epoints Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds good... So if I live 10 miles away from LAX and drive EV mode to LAX, then I get to park for Free. Ya!

11. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    If I drive an EV and have to charge just to get home, I would think twice before driving that far or beyond the EV range.

You can't depend on public charging stations and it's not for you to decide who gets to use the charging stations as long as the spot is not used for long term parking.

That was the reason getting a Leaf is not an option because driving from Orange County to LA or LAX is an overnight trip!

12. rhymbu

rhymbu New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's BS. I do it that drive twice a week. There's a quick charger in Cypress.

13. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    That's exactly my point that you have to charge to get home.

If you are charging at Mitsubishi, some disgruntled EV owners might object that a Nissan is taking their spots.

14. evfinder

evfinder Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The truth is that people roll up to LAX and find all the chargers in use on a regular basis. The problem is not that PIPs are blocking spaces but that EVs in general are blocking spaces. If a Leaf driver parks at a charger while on a week long trip then after the first 6 hours or so the charger is unavailable for use by the 7 other leafs that show up to use the charger over the course of the week. The fact that there are more plug-in vehicles on the roads each day just makes matters worse. It's especially bad for RAV4 EV drivers since the SPI chargers now share spaces with J1722 chargers and often get blocked by Leafs.

In the EV1 days EV support people like Chelsea Sexton would drop by the airport and move around the EV1s so that by the time people got back from their trip they would have a charge. We have been in a situation where we had charging stations that were unused for long periods of time and we are now rapidly moving to the point where chargers are harder and harder to come by.

So here are some solutions that I have heard from various people.

1. Add lots of 110V outlets around the parking lots. For most people who are on trips a 110V charge is quite adequate. If you are going to be tethered for a week you don't need a charger that will top your car in 6 hours. I would add that it is probably time to move the chargers to the long term parking lots, make that parking free for the time being, and leave the short term parking lots chargers for people who are there to pick up and drop off.

2. Make use of valet services like you have at Car Barn of Walley Park who can move cars around and have them fully charged when you come back to pick the car up. This of course would not be free but would solve a lot of problems for EV drivers.

In the end, we are trying to encourage maximizing all electric driving and PIP drivers should have the right to use public infrastructure just as much as any other plug-in driver.

6 people like this.
  15. Jetsurgn

Jetsurgn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Left LAX parking last night no problems. However its weird every time I leave they ask for my drivers license and phone number. Wonder what they do with all that information.

16. CapnRon

CapnRon Toyota Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    On behalf of those of us who would like to recharge at LAX, thanks for the report.

Still, it would give all of us more confidence that we wouldn't have a battle upon exit if more PIP drivers would report their LAX parking experiences.

How about it guys and gals? Anyone else parking in those short term lots and having no problems upon exit?

Thanks.

17. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do you have to be parked at a charger to get free parking, or do you get free parking for simply being an approved vehicle? I will be going out of LAX next week and wonder if I should call a shuttle or park in 1 or 6.

18. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm leaving town next week also and would like to park in lot 6. I can park anywhere and still get free parking, right?

19. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was there about 1.5 months ago to pick up and this was my experience. When you leave, they don't know where you parked anyway. I had to give the guy my license and he asked for my phone number (and I don't think it's because he liked me). But this was before the recent changes, although I'm sure it's still the same.

I actually drove to the roof. For some reason, I thought the chargers were there. It wasn't until I was leaving that I saw the row of chargers on the first floor. I think this was Lot 6, towards the end of airport. So I didn't even get to try the chargers but did get free parking.

1 person likes this.
  20. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Yes!

I was parked at Lot 6 last night for about 1 1/2 hr and there was one last charging spot for me.

Most of the cars parked at the charging stations were Leafs, a few Volts, BMW, Tesla, Fiskers, Coda, RAV4 and my PIP but not all the chargers were being utilized.

When I exited, just because I didn't install my plate, I had to show the cashier my insurance card with my vin# in lieu of my plate #.

She also had to call the manager who then went around the right side to verify that I have a plug-in. I also have to show my drivers license and gave her my phone number.

Enclosed are couple of pics of the Tesla parked on a disabled/charging spot. There was a personal note from someone about being rude and a ticket for parking without a disabled plate or maybe the driver forgot to hang the disabled parking permit?

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.