1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lazy and lackadaisical key fobs...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jyje, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Jyje

Jyje New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi dear prius owners,

I've had a quite strange issue with my key fobs (both of them) for a while now. (with my 2006 Gen II Prius, no "hands free" ignition. I need to insert the key fob in the dashboard to start).

So, I can only lock/unlock the car remotely when it's already on or when shut down for less than 2 minutes. If the car has been turned off for more than a few minutes, the key fob doesn't work. And I need to use the physical key to open the driver door. I have already changed the battery from both key fobs and also replaced the 12V battery recently (not the official one, the Matra battery) But no change. Key fobs still work perfectly well (I can lock/unlock remotely) when the car has already been started or switched off for less than a few minutes.

Maybe of interest : once, I parked the car with the hazard warning lights on. When I came back (maybe 15 min later), I was able to unlock the car with the key fob. Is there some kind of accessory battery that switches off after 1 min, except when the hazard lights are on?

Thanks for your help
    Jyje (from France)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it could be some ecu corrosion, but i would check the resting voltage of the 12v battery at the jump point under the hood first. to make sure it is charged and the connections are good.

check the negative to body ground cable connection as well.

Valiant V likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First thing I would do if I was there would be to check the 12 volts at the front jump point see what the main fuse box is getting. In doing that it checks all 8 connections it takes to get 12 volts to the fuse box.

4. Jyje

Jyje New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for your replies.
    I'll have a check with a multimeter tomorrow first thing. And maybe go for an official toyota 12V battery soon...