1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lazy Man's Guide to Energy Conservation

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Betelgeuse, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Energy Diet

I've tried to be responsible.

I’ve thought pro-green thoughts and occasionally even done pro-green things. I’ve run the dishwasher and washer-dryer only with full loads. I’ve recycled, as ordered, though like every New Yorker I’ve ever met, I suspect the system does more good for our feelings than for the environment. I’ve shaved while showering, although I can’t remember anymore whether that’s a good or a bad thing.

I’ve been too busy to do much more, though, and too confused and overwhelmed by all the eco hype out there, and too inflexible to seriously change my lifestyle. No way am I hanging clothes out to dry on a clothesline. I won’t drive more slowly — as President Bush, like past presidents, has urged Americans to do to save gas — and neither will you, and neither will anyone. And I recently bought a flat-screen high-def 37-inch TV, an energy-Hoover you’ll have to pry from my cold, dead hands; if you haven’t seen an N.F.L. game on something like that, my friend, you might as well watch curling. . .

Full story on how everyone can conserve with ZERO inconvenience at the NY Times.

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Oct 9 2006, 09:13 AM) [snapback]329993[/snapback]</div>
    Subscription required, or go to bugmenot.com. Well worth reading, thanks for posting it here.

3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's sad, uplifting, pathetic, and amazing all rolled into one interesting article. I have noticed CFLBs in a lot of places recently. Walmart claims that they're going to start marketing the hell out of them next year. Replacing a large percentage of incandescent bulbs with CF ones would be a great start. Until people really start to freakout I guess it'll be baby steps. Progress is progress. Hopefully we won't have to really freak out.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I, for one, as a photographer who considers myself very much aware of light and the warmth and/or coolness of light, got used to the CFLs very quickly. At first I left one incandescent in each room just to warm it up a bit, but when the incandencents burned out I just stuck in a CFL and now I don't notice a bit.

I think it's kinda like those folks who don't like the Prius b/c it's different...there's nothing inherently wrong/bad/unusable about it, it's just not what one is used to. Once you've got a 'few miles under your belt' it's as normal as anything else.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Some real-world results to report: We switched out all our bulbs in July for CFLs, and got rid of the refrigerator in the garage. The last electricity bill (starting from a little before we made the changes) showed a decrease in the daily average usage from 21 kWh to 14. The bill went down from $195 to $125 over the 2-month period (they bill on 2-month cycles).

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I was ogling a bunch of flat screen TVs in an appliance store this weekend. Without looking at the TV or any signs, I was 12 for 12 in differentiating the LCDs from plasmas. It's easy to do, just touch the top back of the set. The LCDs were warm to the touch. The plasmas were painfully hot. Gee, I wonder which type are the energy-Hoovers! :rolleyes:

7. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Has anyone in Chicagoland taken on the Lock12 plan from Nicor?

Lock12 is not your normal deal where they try to spread your yearly gas cost over 12 equal payments and it keeps on adjusting as your use goes up or down. Lock12 is a chance for you to lock in at a given rate for the next 12 months no matter if it's really cold out and you use a lot, or if it's really warm winter and you use less. If the price of natural gas skyrockets, you're locked in at your rate, if it goes way down, sorry bud, you still pay this agreed rate.

Ok, so it's nice you can insulate from the rising cost or from the super cold winter.... but....

If I sign up for Lock12, I"m turning the heat up till it's comfortable. Last year, we were trying to save money and keeping it fairly cold in the house. If I do lock12, I'm gonna set it on about 70, then when I feel a chill, crank it up.

This only hurts me next year if I stay on lock12 and they adjust my lock12 rate for the next year to reflect my increased use. With a plan like this, it only promotes using more and not trying to conserve at all. When I pay as I use, I try to save both energy and money. It seems like a bad plan.

8. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    They're probably offering this deal because NG prices are expected to actually drop for the first time in a while. At least in CO the NG storage is up. I think this is a national trend. I doubt they'd offer this deal if they thought the price of NG was gonna spike again.