1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LCD Display Mods?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by dpdearing, Dec 21, 2004.

1. dpdearing

dpdearing New Member

Anyone have any info on hacking into the LCD display screens? I hate the arrangement of the buttons on the Audio control screens, and I'm rather bored with the Performance displays. Wondered if there was a way to replace those screens with something a bit more personalized. Seems like you ought to be able to load customized screens easily. Heck, seems like you should be able to slideshow JPGs if nothing else! That's a heck of a nice LCD display to be mostly static!

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

There has been a few threads in intercepting the NAV video going to the MFD and displaying composite video there, but that's about it.

As for reprogramming the display, I doubt that would be an option, though I agree, we all have ideas on how to improve the display. I commented about adding numbers close to the energy flow lines so you would know HOW MUCH charge is coming from/going to the battery, wheels, ICE and motors.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It would be very easy for Toyota to make the display programmable, as well as to provide lots of information regarding system status. My guess is that they are afraid of frightening away customers with complicated features, even if those can be ignored. From Toyota's point of view, it's more important to make the car seem easy and friendly to the mass of buyers, than to provide information and/or features to the few techno-geeks. This may change gradually as a new generation that was raised with computers enters the car-buying market.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel\";p=\"59813)</div>
    They can have the "Prius SD" for those who prefer the Standard Display and then the "Prius SOL" for those of us who want complete Sensory Over-Load.