1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LCD Display Repair

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by lovelydiscourse, Jul 10, 2019.

1. lovelydiscourse

lovelydiscourse New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Our 2013 Toyota Prius was stolen, and when we got it back, the display on the MFD was impaired. It was not cracked, and it appeared to still have touch sensitivity, but when it lit up when we turn it on, we could only faintly see the display. The display looked bright white and purple, and it is hard to see the pictures. It almost looks like an over-processed photo negative image.

When we first got it back, it would be like that after startup and then go back to the normal screen, but now it is like that all the time, and the touch response has stopped working as well.

I did a little research and can't find this screen appearance anywhere. I did find something that looked kind of similar on a cell phone, and I have attached that here, except we don't have lines on it. It's just that weird purplish color.

I was going to buy a replacement screen to replace it myself, but I am wondering how I would know if it is just a screen replacement, or if the unit is bad?

All the controls on the wheel and around the screen work fine, and the radio, CD player, bluetooth, etc all work perfectly using manual controls on the wheel or the buttons on the unit. Its just the display screen, and replacing the whole unit looks expensive. Is it worth it to buy a replacement screen and replace it myself before going for the whole unit?

Thank you for any info you could offer.

Attached Files:

2. Triparadox

Triparadox Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What I would do, if the car itself is still in a very good condition and you wish to keep it for another year or two, is I will just go ahead and replace the multimedia kit with the aftermarket one that runs on Android. With this, although may cost up to $700 if you do it yourself, you can enjoy basically everything that you can do on your smartphone.

3. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was curious so I checked ebay--there are a bunch of 2012-2015 OEM head units for $110-$180. Probably not worth it to replace just the screen (if you can even find a replacement screen?). I've actually got my old head unit laying around since I removed it last summer; I'll probably get around to listing it for sale one of these days.

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    File a claim on your insurance...since "this happened" while it stolen. I hate paying premiums and getting nothing back. YMMV