1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LDA has stopped working

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Gokhan, May 1, 2022.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I was horrified last night that my lane-departure alert (LDA) system has stopped working. I tried pushing on the steering-wheel button and going through the MFD settings, but nothing turned it on. I even turned off the car and restarted it, but it didn't help. Anyone has any idea what is going on?

2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Update: I just checked, and it comes on now when I press the button on the steering wheel. I'm not sure what was happening last night. Perhaps it was coming on when I pressed the steering-wheel button but I ignored the message because it said LTA (like in cruise control) instead of LDA.

In any case, this is a useful safety feature, and I panicked when I thought it was available but found out that it was actually not available.

#2 Gokhan, May 1, 2022
    Last edited: May 1, 2022
  3. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Update 2: I drove the car again tonight, and LDA still didn't work, despite the icon showing on the display.

It then occurred me to try the windshield washer. After I ran the wipers for two swipes with the windshield-washer fluid, LDA started working!

So, the cause for the LDA system not working was a dirty windshield, and the windshield washer fixed it. It's strange that there was no warning on the display about the camera not working properly because of a dirty windshield. Anyway, I now know that it is important to keep the windshield clean for the electronic safety systems to function properly.

4. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Congrats on finding and fixing the problem!
    (y)

Thanks for the update, and letting us know.
    In New England,with the showers/snow/etc, the windshield often gets dirty. If it's very light, it may not be worth the effort to use the wipers.

Btw, you may want to try Rain-X. That stuff is amazing. I heard that there is something as good, maybe better.
    Imho, for decades, Rain-X has worked for me.

As for why there wasn't any "error" shown, it's likely similar to if there is a problem with the heat/ac system and a selector door.
    It's not critical for the use of the vehicle, so no need to decide on how to indicate the problem to the user, or how to document that in the user's manual.

The user will/may know that there is an issue. They bring it to a mechanic that has a proper scan tool, the vehicle gets scanned, the mechanic fixes it, and depending on vehicle, the user pays $$$$ for a sometimes easy repair.

Fwiw, on one of my GM cars, one of my HVAC electric control doors has been bad for 5++ years.
    No codes/indication shown anywhere.
    But, when I hook up a GM TechStream scanner to the car, the scanner shows the HVAC codes, and I also have full bi-direction control/test of everything.

I have a remote starter module massively secured and taped directly in the service path of that bad module. It'd take hours to remove/install the module. Imho, it's not worth fixing the HVAC door control module.
    Sorry passenger, no foot-area heat for you. They better wear shoes or boots in the winter. :D
    Too bad if they are barefoot in -10F snowy weather. They aren't getting their feet warmed in my car! :)

Congrats again, on finding and fixing the problem.

Gokhan likes this.
  5. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Regarding Rain-X, I did wax the glass with Turtle Wax Ice Seal 'N Shine when I waxed the entire car a long time ago, but it has probably worn off since, as I periodically run the wiper and washer. It's supposed to hold for a couple of dozen washes or so.

6. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    You probably caught a bug 'splat' directly in front of the camera - it's outside your field of view, but the camera can't see around it. I personally don't use LDA; don't want to get use to the beeping and buzzing - alarm fatigue. My dash board speed limit sign was stuck on 35 mph for about 3 days; until I cleaned the windshield in front of the camera lens. The rest of my windscreen was clean; it was just that spot in front of the lens.

This was something so stupid; I didn't bother to post it..........LoL; didn't realize it would also disable LDA, a function I don't use.

Good catch....

Gokhan likes this.