1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lead Headlight Fabricator Seeking Input - LEDs, Carbon Fiber, the Works!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jonvo, May 5, 2010.

1. jonvo

jonvo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Duly noted. Status updated as of 5/9/2010. Check post #2 on first page.

2. jonvo

jonvo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In its own right, the concept is nice however two things caught my attention.

1. Some eBay auctions selling similar headlights do not specify the inclusion of a transformer/inverter so does that mean the angel eyes are based on the LED platform? Either this is the case or the inverter/transformer are situated inside the headlights making repairs/replacement quite difficult should the inverter/transformer fails.

2. Has anyone look at the rear of these headlights on the eBay auctions? The bulb used are halogens. Halogen projectors generally have a thicker cutoff shield which helps to produce a "softer" output. If the headlights were built to use halogen, how will they hold up with HIDs?

3. Supreme

Supreme Hypebeast

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    cool pics. how were those orange reflectors held in?

4. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The inverter is located under the light where the ballast would be on a HID light. I asume that the output would be somewhat alright, but nothing compaired to a real HID projector.

5. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With the little clips that you see on the reflectors.

6. jonvo

jonvo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We just received a set of halogen GEN III (from an 08' Prius) headlights. A bixenon projector retrofit is in the works (not sure which ones yet).

7. h311b3nt

h311b3nt Junior Member

Well keep us posted with pics I am sure we will be first to snatch up the first batch

8. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. jonvo

jonvo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This weekend I finally had time to work on the LEDs. They look SICK!! One thing to note, since there is a natural curve on the "faux" LED accent, having the LED pointing forward is crucial. That means the first initial drilling has to be as precise as possible. The last thing I want is for the LEDs to be pointing in all sorts of directions.

Since the LED I'm using using is pretty bright, I decided to install the LED every other slot. Aside from this, I'm also installing individual LED shrouds. I don't want the ambient lighting from one LED to clash with another. As you can see, I'm taking every precaution possible so that I can make each LED as an individual rather than a cluster of lights.

Lastly, the "faux" LED accent is transparent which has to be corrected. The reason is that anyone can just see the wiring in the back. Calling Toyota to get the color code of the "faux" LED accent was a huge letdown. After being put on hold, they couldn't give me a definitive answer. So instead, I just went to the local home depot and pick up a metallic silver that is as close to the original color as possible. So that means, I have to prep the project prior to painting.

Tools I use were a drill and a reamer.

In the next couple days, I'll removing the stock reflector and prep the surface for carbon fiber. As mentioned, I'm using a 635 clear epoxy resin and polyamide hardener. Carbon fiber I'm using is a 2x2 twill with a 3k tow. This is ideal because it really stands out more than the plain weave. Additionally, it has this "silver glow" which will accentuate the RGB backlighting of the projectors. It's like having 7 different color "hybrid" carbon fiber that you can choose from on the fly with the incorporated switch.

I'll take it as support??? :)

10. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Jonvo,

many Pri have decorative "foglights" built into the lower bumper. These foglights are completely worthless for anything but decorations. Would your bixenon projector retrofits be capable of replacing this useless trash with something functional?

11. jonvo

jonvo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you guys have any close up pics of the decorative accent?

Jon

12. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you're talking about Gen III. Gen II Prius doesnt have a faux foglight. You have it or you dont.

13. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I think what he was implying was that the fog lights that some us have are so useless as to be for decoration only.

14. kenmce

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
  15. kenmce

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Exactly. I can turn my fogs on independently. They light up maybe five feet of pavement.

16. ralue

ralue New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    PM sent...

17. jonvo

jonvo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All PMs have been answered. Sorry guys ... for the past few days I've been bombarded with different projects here and there. In any case, we have made some new developments with the LEDs. We decided to go with a flat black paint job for the "faux" LED accent. The metallic paint sort of clashed with the chrome reflector a bit. Hopefully the flat black doesn't clash with the carbon fiber :confused:

With the unused faux LEDs, we decided to fill the hole and sand it down til it sits flush along the groove of that particular piece. Sounds confusing but hopefully I should post up pics to describe what I'm talking about.

18. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    PICS or.......

:ban:

19. jonvo

jonvo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    SFV41901, I took your "recommendation". Picture updated.

20. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :D:D:D

Looks pretty good. Is that the org "strip" or did you make a custom "strip" to fit inside?

Also, maybe it was just my headlight, but was the glue on your lens very tacky?