1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leaf: Battery longevity and alternatives?

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by mxp, May 11, 2010.

1. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Nissan says 70% to 80% capacity remains after 10 years. So, no real need to worry about battery longevity.

It would be possible to replace the battery - but most probably one made by Nissan for Leaf. The battery pack needs to work with the car both mechanically & electrically.

Same here. I decided to wait for an EV instead of buying a hybrid.

But remember, EV is a "brand new" technology (well not really, but this is the first time it is being tried seriously). There has been a hell lot of investment into batteries in the last couple of years. In 5 to 10 years we should see a massive improvement in battery technology.

I expect better battery and better options even in 3 years - and so will most probably lease. The lease price of $349 looks affordable - and a very good deal. Esp., when you consider that you may be saving $150 on gas !

1 person likes this.
  2. mxp

mxp New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to everyone who brought in the discussions.

The reason why I brought up the "battery replacement" question was I recently read somewhere that Zap's (ZAP! Electric Vehicles | ZAP Electric Cars, Trucks, Scooters, ATV's, Alias, 100% electric. ) LiPo battery subsystem is being tested and benchmarked in a US Postal Service trial.

Anyways, I was also leaning towards leasing.

3. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I do agree that leasing is probably a good option for most people, even just considering the $7500 rebate issues, with the lease, it's a done deal, if you buy it, you may not qualify, depending on your particular tax situation. that alone makes the lease attractive... then taking into consideration possible better EV's/Batteries 3 years down the road, and that you are only putting out $1999 + 35 * $349 or $14214 for 3 years use of the car, it's a great deal. Of course you still have the option of buying out the lease at the end of the 36 months as well.

4. mwalsh

mwalsh Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Any guesses as to what the buyout might be?

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    $14,000 for 3 years... so a new car would be like 7 years worth or more along the lines of 5 years worth if u max the tax break. not sure i see the benefit of a lease unless one is certain the car will not last 5 years without some major repair.

if i had any such doubts, and i maybe foolish; i would not buy or lease the car

6. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the Leaf will be much improved in 3 years, the battery packs will have improved, they might even have a 150-200 mile pack by then. Leasing keeps your options open, while limiting your financial exposure to known numbers. It might not be easy to sell a 3 year old Leaf, if you buy it, and there are newer/better EV options out their, that was my point. I am an early adopter, I like to try out new technology, the lease seems like a way to capture the $7500 tax credit, and leave your options open for 3 years down the road (btw, there may be no tax credit by then, so you might just buy out the lease..)

We don't know the lease residual yet, or the mileage allowed per year, those are 2 unknowns still.

I am convinced I will be driving EVs for the balance of my time on earth, but I see no reason to lock into the Leaf long term (yet), when we know other/better options will exist in 3 years.