1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leak in Sunroof

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Maverick Hiker, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Maverick Hiker

Maverick Hiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Last night we had torrential rains in Baltimore. This morning there were drops of water on the CD's on my passenger side seat, and the seat itself was pretty damp. Also water on the floor near the passengers' side door.

I checked the windows and the sunroof and all were completely closed. I had opened the internal slider on the sunroof yesterday to get some light. Usually I keep the slider closed. Maybe it was leaking even before yesterday, but I didn't notice it because the slider was catching the water.

Very disappointing. My 2011 Prius is less than a year old. I got the sunroof because of the solar cooling, which I like. I didn't think I'd have a problem with a well built car like the Prius, which I am otherwise very pleased with.

I'll wait until the next heavy rain, see if I can pinpoint the exact source of the leak, and then have it repaired while still under warranty.

2. NargilFenris

NargilFenris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was wondering if that might happen at some point, thats part of the reason I decided not to get that soloar roof package. The other part being the extra 3k price tage >.<

Hope you can get this problem figured out.

3. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wonder if there was a chunk of crud or something that was between the glass and the gasket? Open it up and look at the gasket and see if it is clean or? Maple tree seeds, pine needles, or something.

Mike

Mobile on my Asus

4. NargilFenris

NargilFenris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I also read somewhere that if the seals look a little dried out to put vasoline on them. Anyone else heard that?

5. Germwise

Germwise Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Five
    why wait for it to happen again? Your vehicle is under warranty. Take it to the dealership, they will use a water hose to check for leaks.

Waiting for another rain seems silly!

Also maybe you can open the sun roof and close the slider to see if you can detect water damage indicative that this was happening before?

cwerdna likes this.
  6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, that's not possible. There is a slider stop integrated with the roof that draws the slider back when the roof is opened. Unless this can be removed or worked around, you won't be able to do that.

An offset bright light (to reduce glare) through the closed tinted roof may help you spot water damage if it's there though.

7. JGC61

JGC61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Open the sun roof and check for clogged drains.

brzy25 likes this.
  8. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'd take it to the dealer--why bother trying to diagnose it when you're under warranty? FWIW, I had a sunroof leak on another car years ago, and the cause was a leak in the drain.

9. Maverick Hiker

Maverick Hiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did go out and look at the sunroof again. As mentioned, I cannot examine the slider with the sunroof open, to see if there is water damage. The sunroof mechanism had some internal wetness inside on the passengers side, confirming to me that it is a sunroof leak. I didn't see any clogs.

So I took the advice and made an appt with the Toyota dealer for Saturday morning. Still under warranty, so I'll get this fixed now. Hopefully we won't have any more downpours before Saturday.

10. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    +1. i think clogging is probably the #1 reason for "leaks" from a sunroof. Usually there are is a drain at each corner of a sunroof which is usually some sort of tube that drains the water out. if any of those get clogged you'll likely see water coming in. i literally just had my wifes cars sunroof drains fixed yesterday (nissan). i will never buy another car with a sunroof again. not worth it.

11. Buzzhead

Buzzhead Non-Interference w/ devel of pre-Warp civs

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I use silicone dielectric grease (the same stuff they sell for a buck at the auto center counter for installing headlights).

12. Timeout2008

Timeout2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can someone tell me where exactly I would find the drain tube opening on the sunroof. My 2010 Prius leaked recently during a heavy rain and water dripped in at the hinge of the sun visor over the steering wheel. If this gen 3 has a drain tube, I cannot find it in or around that corner.

Pabloguitano likes this.
  13. Pabloguitano

Pabloguitano Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Same thing happened to my mother’s 2010 just today. Anyone have any dealer tech tips? I guess I’m going to rip it open at some point, just trying to decide where to start other than removing the headliner. I will keep everyone posted the best i can I’m my endeavors…

14. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was thinking along the lines of charging a crap ton on money and do minimal work that doesn’t resolve the issue.

Pabloguitano likes this.
  15. Pabloguitano

Pabloguitano Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Anyone? I haven’t had any time to tear it apart yet.

16. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Usually the problem with a sunroof drain is dirt and tree debris clogging the tubes. I try a "gentle" poof of compressed air followed with some water down both front drains. If I (only) see water come out under the car, then I'm done.

If it still won't drain, I have google or check service info to find where the tubes exit the body. Then check and clean that "outlet".

Sometimes, there is a problem with the tube itself, and I have to partially lower the front of the headliner enough to reach things. Pull the headliner trim around the sunroof opening, weatherstripping at the front doors, the overhead console, sunvisors, (maybe the rear view mirror if it mounts to the roof).

If you've had any significant leakage, you'll want to pull back the carpet in either front floor area and see if there's water underneath. If so then plan on pulling the front seats (maybe the center console) to lift up or remove the carpet to clean and dry it out. You do not want the foam and felt padding to get mildewed or moldy. And it cannot dry on its own since the carpet had plastic backing. (BTDT, a number of times for customers).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.