1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

leaking battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Johnny KIlo, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Johnny KIlo

Johnny KIlo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    not sure exactly where that is, if I am looking at the battery from the trunk is it on the left?

2. Johnny KIlo

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That was it. It wasn't quite latched, I latched it and originally it didnt work. I completely removed it and reengaged it and the car started. I still have the icon on my screen but I will see if it goes away.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After you insert the orange traction battery interlock, you need to pivot the lever 90 degrees. Then you need to slide it down to lock in place.

4. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    X2

Neither of those residues look like leaking batteries but you can just mix some of it up in a pool water tester to see what the PH is if you're concerned at all. Dried up KOH from a module leak looks like an alkaline battery that burst (we've all seen the white powder when that happens).

#24 MTL_hihy, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To the OP it looks like alot of the metal in the back hatch is corroded too like the spare tire rim etc which is pretty good evidence that maybe you have a water leak (roof) also or were flooded somewhere.

Take the spare tire out and check for standing water corrosion under the tire and with flashlight look deep in the 12 volt battery well for evidence of standing water.

You may have bought a salvaged car that was flooded. Hundreds of salvaged swamped Prius out there. They seem to get totaled by I companies quicker than any other car.

Whats the VIN look like?

6. Johnny KIlo

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The VIN is good, AutoCheck came back clean. I did notice some of the same residue in the spare tire area as well. In retrospect it was definitely pooling in some of the indented areas of the trunk metal.