1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leaking brake fluid from rear driver caliper.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by FoxHound, May 31, 2015.

1. FoxHound

FoxHound Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a leak from the rear driver caliper, it seems to come from behind the bolts that hold the emergency brake to the caliper (I had my wife push the pedal repeatedly so I could find the issue). I haven't been able to remove the retaining bolts (the allen head bolt doesn't want to play) to see what the issue might be.

Anyone had a problem like this in the past?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't recall any spontaneous brake fluid leaks reported here. any accident or brake/wheel work? how many miles on her? is your reservoir low?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Could you get a pic? Or alternately:

Here's a semi-decent picture of the backside of rear brake, can you mark it up or describe location? I can't think what bolt requires an Allen key there. If fluid is leaking it could be at the connection of brake line to caliper, or at the parking brake "axle" that goes into the caliper?

Capture.JPG

And here's a pdf portion from the Repair Manual, just the brake (front and rear) section. Maybe better pics in there.

Attached Files:

4. FoxHound

FoxHound Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    On the same level as the bottom of the spring and a bit to the left is the allen head bolt.

To the right of the arrow and a little below is the nut. when removed and the parking break cable removed from it I could not get that part of the assembly to come off.

The leak is coming from behind this assembly. Not from the brake line or the bleed of screw, I wish it was because that would be a lot easier to fix. I have needed to refill the reservoir 4 full times.

Car has 80k miles on it, I put about 100 a day as a work vehicle. No damage has happened to this area, I came out a few mornings ago to find all the brake related lights to be on and it went from there. Car has no signs of brakes not working until the reservoir is fully empty.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So this (highlighted) bolt?

Capture.JPG

Right up above it is the main axle (just have to name it something) of the parking brake mechanism. The piece that rotates when you apply parking brake

The Repair Manual portion I posted doesn't seem to show disassemble of this part. I wonder, if you were to succeed in removing the parking brake arm, where does that get you? There must be some sort of O-ring on the axle, maybe that's failing.

I'd be inclined to bring it in to dealership, have them put in a new or rebuilt caliper.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Semi-decent picture, the hex-socket head bolt again highlighted. Did you take the main parking brake axle nut (flagged with arrow) off? Still, not sure where this gets you. This axle goes into the caliper piston cylinder, something's leaking internally, would think just swapping for a rebuild is simplest. Not warranty I guess?

Capture.JPG

(Don't you love the pathetic condition of the caliper hold down bolt. We're NOT in the snow belt either.)

#6 Mendel Leisk, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
  7. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i don't know, the only thing that could leak is a piston seal. is there anything else as culprit? this is bit unusual.
    if one is not mechanically savvy, this should go to a mechanic. brakes are important.

8. FoxHound

FoxHound Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The nut came off, however it didn't allow anything to be moved. I'll look for a caliper rebuild kit and see if it's worth it to rebuild myself or get a loaded rebuit one. So far I have found one at advance auto but it's about 120 here in Madison Wi.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Depending on where you order it, you might only spend another $60 or so to get a real one from Toyota. You can see my sad thread here for an indication of the quality difference with a cheap aftermarket. Hehheh - Mendel thinks it's funny how "pathetic" one bolt head looks, after five years in Canada ... just wait 'til you see an entire caliper look like that after five weeks.

It is worth checking for Toyota genuine reman parts too - here's one for my car - which would be an even better deal. The magic words seem to be that you search for the part number with -84 added at the end, but I don't see anything for yours yet. Maybe they haven't been out long enough yet. Maybe that's why I haven't upgraded to a Gen 3 yet ... I must be waiting for them to start offering the reman parts. :)

Or maybe -84 isn't always the magic suffix. You could ask your local dealer if they can get your caliper in Toyota genuine reman.

-Chap

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, someone (Mike Focke) was mentioning they've outlawed some bolt coatings, more rust-resistant ones. It's dismaying. And yeah, we're practically a suburb of California, very little snow and salting.

Foxhound, if you go with a remanufactured part you've let someone else do the leg work, and can be confident it's good. Since you're obviously hands-on, you can save some $ by putting it in yourself.

But I'd question even that: on a conventional car opening the brake lines means you need to bleed it. Personally I don't even want to do that anymore, when a dealership will do it (and screw it up royally, on occasion) for under $100. But with the Prius bleeding brakes is more complicated, almost necessitates special software, interacting with the car via the OBDII. There are work arounds, that might avoid that. But...

#10 Mendel Leisk, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As far as I know, the passivates containing hexavalent chromium all got the heave-ho; if you look on my caliper-finish thread at the list of Toyota plating standards I found somewhere, you can see where the 6500G standards were obsoleted by 6524G standards that are all "hexavalent chrome free". But even so, you can see that with the right materials scientists on the case, the new standards still beat the old ones on the salt spray test.

Then for grins you can glance down at the 6530G zinc-nickel alloy plating standards, which blow any plain-zinc salt spray numbers completely out of the water.

Unfortunately, the local plater in my town still hasn't ventured into ZnNi. :(

-Chap

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The trouble is just that when you buy a (non-Toyota) reman from your friendly chain auto store, you're getting something that
    1. was once a real Toyota caliper (probably)
    2. has had all the original Toyota-standard plating sandblasted off
    3. then got dunked in some coating that keeps real nice in the box and up until your first rainstorm.
    -Chap

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Where bleeding the Prius gets complicated is if there's been air admitted into the fiddly stuff up front (ABS actuator, master cylinder, accumulator and pump). Provided you make sure to avoid that (keep that reservoir from getting low!), bleeding a line out to a caliper doesn't end up much different from the old shade tree days. It's a little easier, even, when instead of having to pump the pedal over and over, you just hold it and watch the pressurized fluid stream out (making sure not to let the reservoir get low...).

-Chap

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How about for pushing a piston back in: would you risk cracking the bleed screw? Or is that not really needed anyway? In past Ive just pushed pistons back in, left the bleed screw shut. Not sure either way.

Also, I've got a Mighty Vac, have yet to use it. (Really, I take the prize for over prepared and under utilized, lol.) Would hooking that up to the bleed screw help when you crack it.

15. FoxHound

FoxHound Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had more day light this time and gotten a better look. The leak is coming from behind the bracket that holds the parking brake. I can't get it off so I bought a used caliper online. 20k miles on it and these are items that usually don't go out. With the old one off the car and more time on my hands I'll work on the old one and see what the problem really was.

16. FoxHound

FoxHound Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So I got the part here. weberbrothersauto com/Product.aspx?t=3520727

It arrived in 2 days.

I didn't bother to disconnect the e-brake in the car, it was easy enough to do at the caliper.

What I found interesting is there is no traditional e-brake, it is all in the hydraulic system of the normal brake. Which would mean that a seal that would allow the E-brake parts to go into the caliper broke. So a full rebuild would be needed in this situation.

It did not take very long to swap in the new caliper, i spent longer rotating the tires (why not, already had the jack and jack stands out).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good news. How did it do swapping brake line over, bleeding air? Any problems?

Do heed my caution about the piston face cross pattern, pin, and so on. A simple check that it's seated properly: raise the rear again and check turning resistance, compare side-to-side.

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    More inconveniently, I was looking in the parts catalog at Village Toyota, and if the illustrations are right (they usually are), the rebuild kit that you can order includes the piston seals and boots and guide pin boots and grease, but not the seals for the parking brake shaft entry ... so if it leaks there, it seems not to be field-rebuildable, unless you have your own source for seals of the right size and material.

-Chap

19. FoxHound

FoxHound Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bleeding was really easy. before bolting on the brake line i powered in brake fluid, this helps get air out and removes several brake pumps right there. The most difficult part was having to go back into the house and reread the pdf i was provided here on how to remove the ebrake cable. I have had a much more difficult on more conventional cars.

20. PittsburghPrius

PittsburghPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know this thread is years old, but I found it because I have the same issue. It's coming from the bolt with the red arrow that Mendel Leisk posted. If anyone reads this, is there any chance an issue like this could cause a " check hybrid system" to come up on the dash? Or would that likely be a separate issue? My Prius may be on its way out (220,000mi) if it just needs a caliper, no big deal. If it needs a new hybrid battery, then it's time to throw in the towel, because I'm about to switch jobs and was going to move up to a truck anyways..but if I can squeeze a few more months out of it with just a caliper then I will. I had a code p0a80, then cleaned the entire battery vent system and it stayed off for a while. I'm going to have the code checked again tomorrow.. was just wondering if a brake issue could also trigger "check hybrid system"

#20 PittsburghPrius, Oct 7, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2023