1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leaking coolant from Inverter reservoir, Please help!

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Justin Henderson, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Justin Henderson

Justin Henderson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hey all,
    Long time reader, first time poster here. I have a 2014 Prius V that I'm hoping to get some help troubleshooting. My wife was driving yesterday and the check engine light and hybrid system light came on. She got home and I checked the error codes and codes P0A93 an P0C73 indicating Inverter "A" cooling system performance. I did some reading on this site and on youtube and figured it was most likely a failed pump. I went back out to see if I could test the pump. I noticed that the inverter reservoir was nearly empty and a puddle of coolant on the driveway. If I understand correctly, if it was the pump, it shouldn't leak like that. At any rate, today, I pulled off the bumper so I could access the pump to really see if I could hear/feel it running. I topped off the reservoir, turned the car on, and I could see swirling in the reservoir, and could feel fluid running through the hoses.
    When I took a closer look at the inverter radiator, I could see coolant starting to drip from the foils. I'm thinking it got dinged by a rock or something.

Am I correct in my thinking that if I can see coolant coming from the radiator, it's the most likely culprit and pump is OK?

I've tried to find instructions on how to swap out the inverter radiator but not seeing any. Apparently this hasn't happened to many people?

Any help or assistance would be appreciated. I live in a small town in northern Idaho and non of the local mechanics work on hybrids. The nearest Toyota dealership is an hour away and will cost a bunch to get towed to, so I'm trying to do it my self to save some money. I just don't want do any damage or make things worse.

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Swirling in the reservoir and a leak from the radiator is a good sign that it's a radiator nick.

How comfortable would you be R&R'ing the inverter coolant radiator?

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    IF......you have a good view of the punctured radiator, you probably also should have a good view of how it is mounted and connected.
    Right ? Wrong ??

Note: Before you go out and buy a new radiator, check the hoses and their connections first.
    Might also want to ask some local mechanics if there is a radiator shop nearby.

4. Justin Henderson

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If i can find some sort of instructions or walkthrough, I think I'd be fine to do it myself. Just called the dealership that's an hour away, they said it would cost $2000. Which is insane to me. The part is only like $80-120 online. I called around to multiple mechanics in my area and people are either booked out more than a month or they don't touch hybrids.

Tim Jones likes this.
  5. Justin Henderson

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I pulled the bumper off and could see the radiator fully. As far as I can tell, all the hoses are connected ok. I can take pictures when I get home from work.

Tim Jones likes this.
  6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Probably a waste of time. It's just not the same as BEING there.

7. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hopefully these excerpts from the repair manual can help.

Attached Files:

Air_Boss and Tim Jones like this.
  8. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Doesn't sound that rough..... I've done a Head Gasket and The Dreaded Master and Pump + the traction battery and egr (entire system)

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Rocks have been known to ding the radiator and the inverter radiator causing coolant leaks.

That is why I put aluminum mesh behind the lower and upper grill openings.

Something to consider doing while you are replacing the inverter radiator.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I did the same with a black powder coated expanded steel diamond mesh gutter guard. It stops everything larger than 1/4 inch or so, even smaller, if it hits the mesh. Cost no more than $3-4.