1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leaky Driver Side Headlight Assembly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nelson Johnson, Jan 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Nelson Johnson

Nelson Johnson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    My new used 2008 Prius driver's side headlight assembly had moisture in it that showed up as water droplets. Of course the HID bulb malfunctioned by flickering and dying out.

I noticed that the problems occurred when there was a slight water film condensed near the base of the bulb.

What to do? I noticed that the black plastic backing on the headlight assembly had several black plastic snaps that held the back to the clear plastic lens. There was a gap between the back and the lens!

Looking at the passenger-side assembly there was no such gap.

Without removing the assembly I injected GE Silicone 2 sealant into the gap. I let it dry for 12 hours.

Problem solved for five bucks. The lamps have vaporized all the condensation. I suspect, based on other posts, the "driver-side headlight leak" is a common problem that may have come from a construction/design flaw. The pastic enclosure shells don't exactly match. Water that gets near the gaps ends up in the assembly and causes the HID bulb to fail intermittently.

I love my little black Prius fuel miser!

2. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Welcome aboard.

Hmm strange they do not match. I just upgraded my lights to HID's and reused both rubber seals, they were identical. Maybe different in your Gen???

Yes, with a gap moisture would definitely get in those assemblies.