1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leap Seconds....the time is now 23:59:60.....

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ETC(SS), Jan 16, 2015.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]
    I have to admit that sometimes I feel sorry for CNN.
    Sometimes.
    I was looking at the headlines and I saw a story specuguessing about the next Leap second adjustment which is scheduled for the end of June 30, 2015 at 23:59:60 UTC.
    They equated it to "The next Y2K Bug" in their story, which is unusually accurate for CNN given what happened at 00:00:00UTC on 1 Jan, 2000.

I tried to find the story, but to my bemusement I couldn't.
    There were others though.....
    June's leap second will be a kind of deliberately-induced Millennium Bug
    No, the Linux leap second bug WON'T crash the web • The Register
    Adding Leap Seconds is Far More Dangerous For The Internet

I remember when I was punching holes in the Atlantic in the 80's and 90's I had to enter leap second adjustments at least twice. They were a PITA, but the procedure was pretty straight forward.
    I remember the last one specifically because our Weapons Officer was extremely concerned about whether or not I had entered the extra second correctly. (I did)

The thing is......it didn't matter then, and it doesn't matter now.

Submitted for your approval.........

ftl likes this.
  2. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I think The Register has it right:
    "If this all smacks of a manufactured, Daily Mail style panic of the sky-is-falling proportions to send you running for central Montana with a high-power telescopic rifle and a large tin of baked beans, then you’re right – it is."​

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I remember listening to the leap second on time station WWV several times back in the 20th Century, when these events happened almost every year.

But after 16 years with only 3 of these added seconds, too many programmers have become unaware of them, and have built their systems around the wrong clock (UTC), even though more appropriate clocks (TAI and GPS) have long been available.

4. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this due to the procession of the Earth's axis or something more complicated like frame shifting?

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More complex than precession, but not as esoteric as frame shifting.

Tides naturally show down earth's rotation, so a natural second now is longer than it was eons ago. The scientific definition of a second was fixed to an atomic standard a half century ago, but the earth continues to slow down.

On top of that, there is a lot of other causes of variation in the earth's spin rate -- atmosphere, winds, currents in the molten rock core, shifts in the crust (earthquakes), even human-made water reservoirs that shift enough mass to alter the planet's rotational moment of inertia. While the changes are far far below natural human perception, differences become blatantly obvious when scientists start using atomic clocks for astronomy, surveying, GPS, and other things.

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    if we are calibrating leap seconds
    what's on first?
    solar?
    atomic?
    GPS?

I hope there are ntp mirrored backups somewhere...

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The underlying atomic time standards don't have leap seconds. Only the solar-oriented derivatives have leap seconds. For more detail, read ETC(SS)'s very first linked article, Leap second.

NTP is part of the problem. PTP (Precision Time Protocol) is more oriented towards using the atomic standards, but I don't believe is used in actually keeping the many atomic clock standards linked.

#7 fuzzy1, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Who is the space navigator and which time protocol is it using?

9. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess our mis-mash of the roman calender and sidereal time isn't cutting it anymore :-P

10. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    True, but it is a little easier to handle than leap months (Mercedonius). The real use of the leap months was to keep you friends in office longer or you enemies reign shorter. I think that is the real plot behind leap seconds.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To me, abolishing the leap second seems equivalent to abolishing the Gregorian and Julian calendars because they are too hard to deal with, and returning to the Roman calendar because it is simpler.