1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Learning to drive Prime the RIGHT WAY

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by cleverchimp, Sep 17, 2018.

1. cleverchimp

cleverchimp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is my first hybrid and Plug-In, there is a lot to learn on how to drive a car like Prime coming from ICE. Many different opinions depending on who you ask, the funny thing is dealership is the worst/dishonest place to ask questions...I'm experimenting on how to drive it THE right way. I drove about 44 miles one way to work, and in LA traffics, that means I'll be on freeway about 40 miles with bumper-bumper situation to some 70+MPH traffic (you get cut over or someone will follow you closely if you drive at 65 MPH speed limit on rush hour). Its hard to hypermiling on rush hour here. I'm averaging around 102 MPG now (860 miles range on current gas tank, about 1.5 bar left).

I have the car for 2 weeks and the RED flashing screen come 2 or 3 times already (I guess that means Toyota Safety Sense really works) because someone driving carelessly in front of me. Good thing I always keep good distance, anyway I read that lithium battery shouldn't be charged 100%...

1) is there option on prime to stop charging after it hit 90%?

I'm on EV auto mode from home and often get about 33+ miles on 100% charge, so it usually EV take me about 10 miles before I reach my destination and it switch to HV. I would think forcing the charge mode when EV is around 10 miles is not better option like some have done here because the ICE engine still hasn't warmed up.

2) Does it recommended to wait a few minutes for ICE engine to warm up before pressing Charge mode? If I was out of EV battery and start on HV, can charge mode turned on right away? Does it revert back to EV auto once you reached 80% charge or arrived at destination?

3) Since its a new engine, what is the break in time? I heard 500 miles and 1000 miles, and should drive at low speed...its hard to achieve here, you got to be on 65+MPH either in EV or HV mode on freeway. I wonder what going to happen to the engine due to this circumstances?

4) I dont see too much gas being used for charge mode then on HV mode (maybe 30% more?) and I plan to turn it on on my way back to home. With no traffic, it charge up about 50% in about 40 minutes...a bit better then L2. I'll try today with congested traffic, can you turn on Charge mode ON THE FLY on Freeway Speed?

5) I also dont have shades where I park, so the car does get hot on summer time, often asking OK to turn on AC to cool traction battery when charging. Would it make a difference in terms of battery life if I wait to charge the car say 1 hour later rather than plug it right away (when the battery is hot) when I get home?

6) Do we need to wait up a bit before we turn on the HVAC (on EV or HV for that matter) when we start the car? What bothers me is, when I press OFF after reaching my destination...unless I turn off the car with Auto setting, it forgot/restore to default when I start the car again, it default to opening the vents rather remembering that I just want the air to circulate in the cabin. I feel Huper Optik might be a good investment, this car HVAC is not as adequate to CA summer weather.

#1 cleverchimp, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think you are over analyzing things. Just drive it.

3. cleverchimp

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I probably did.....after reading all the information's here, my engineer brain activated :)

Bob Comer likes this.
  4. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    1> The software handles the charging, you don't have to worry about that, it wouldn't fill it to 100%.

2>I never use charge mode, gas costs about twice what electricity does here, so you'd I'd be wasting money. The software also handles warm up, so I don't worry about it. The only thing I have noticed is I have a bit less power available to use when it's in the warmup cycle.

3> never worried about it much, just drove conservatively the first 1000 or so miles.

5> Set a charging schedule, that's what I do, it only charges in the early morning at the very coolest part of the day.

6> Nope, I leave A/C all the time. It doesn't run off of ICE power. You might want to check your S-flow to cool all 4 seats, if the A/C is not strong enugh on a hot day for me, I turn S-flow off and it's better. Also use ECO mode cuts the power of A/C in a normal Prius, and probably our Primes too, so changing to standard or power mode might help that too.

cleverchimp and mr88cet like this.
  5. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Same here. I read everything available before delivery, familiarized myself with all the settings and displays. Now I just enjoy it.
    J

cleverchimp likes this.
  6. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree with Bob’s replies here.

BASICALLY, just drive it as safely as possible, and charge it up when and where you can. The computer does a great job of handling the behind-the-scenes details.

Getting a little more refined about it, though...

Before my commute to work, I do not charge it all the way full at home. That’s just because I have quasi-free charging at work, which is less than a full battery’s drive from home. To do that, as suggested, I set a scheduled charge for well after I normally leave, and leave at a fairly-consistent time. It would be nice if there were a “charge to N%” option, but no, unfortunately not.

If or when you do need to kick in gas, it will run a warm-up cycle, burning gas continuously for short time, no matter what you do. So if you know you’re not going to make it on battery alone, then best to switch over to HV when you expect you’ll be driving continuously for a few minutes at somewhere around 60ish MPH. Broadly speaking, that’s where it will use the gas most efficiently, given that it has to run the engine continuously for a 2-3 minutes. HV mode is even more efficient after the warm-up time driving at lower speeds because it shuts off the engine a lot, but during the warm-up it intentionally stays running continuously, so best if that can be at 60ish MPH.

iPad ? Pro

#6 mr88cet, Sep 17, 2018
    cleverchimp likes this.
  7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Same advice for new owners of each generation of Prius...

JUST DRIVE IT

In many cases, the efforts to optimize end up being counter-productive.

8. cleverchimp

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I get used to turn off the AC first on my previous car before shutting off the engine. I think I'm going just do the same, leave the AC on Auto all the time.

Bob Comer likes this.
  9. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Better yet, do not log on to Priuschat too often. :ROFLMAO:

Everybody means well, but there's too many conflicting opinions and it can become too confusing. Study your owners manual, get familiar with the car, and then GO..... :D

#9 Starship16, Sep 17, 2018
    cleverchimp likes this.
  10. cleverchimp

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Lucky you :), I work for fortune 100 company and in 2018 you would think they would have at least one L2 charger and solar power on the parking lot...I just have 3 medium sized trees that doesn't even give good shades.

I'll take a look into the scheduling thing, might change it to schedule a bit after when I normally leave rather then set time everyday. Thanks for the tip, I found out when I'm switching from EV to HV (driving on city/when fully stop) you feel the ICE engine "shake", but I dint feel a thing beside sudden loss of acceleration power over EV mode (which is expected) so from now on I'll let the system change automatically to HV once the battery depleted and put it on charge mode after 2-3 min and drive 60-ish MPH as you suggested.

mr88cet likes this.
  11. cleverchimp

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    good tips lol

12. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That’s one spot where I only kinda-sorta agree with Bob’s comments: I do make a point to use the air conditioner lightly-to-moderately, including turning it off when the outdoor temperature goes below 80ish or so (depending upon humidity).

Toyota published ... somewhere ... guidelines for maximizing economy of a Prius. They made a point that they apply to pretty much any car, but the Prius just takes advantage of them better than most cars. The main ones, as I recall:
    — Don’t try to be the fastest, or fastest-accelerating, car on the road (don’t drive sluggishly, or certainly not unsafely slowly, but don’t “hot rod” it, so to speak).
    — Don’t overdo climate control.
    — Where possible, try to keep your speed fairly constant.
    — Clear out the “trunk junk.”
    — Perhaps easiest to forget, check tire-inflation periodically (at least once a month).

Beyond that, basically just drive safely, keep an easy-going attitude, leave for your destination early so that you have to drive radically to get there in time, and just have fun with your lovely Prius!

iPad ? Pro

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's no way the AC is "free", my 2 cents. I'm not saying don't use it, just that it will have an impact, on EV range and/or mpg. I think too the "need" to use it, for hybrid battery preservation, is overblown.

m.wynn, Bob Comer and mr88cet like this.
  14. cleverchimp

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    On cold morning day I'm just using the heated seat...which have minimal impact on the EV range (darn it, I wish Toyota give the heated steering on PLUS model).

Mendel Leisk and mr88cet like this.
  15. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I found the heated steering wheel ... embarrassingly addictive!

cleverchimp likes this.
  16. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Of course it's not free, it's just worth the cost to me. :) I live in a very warm, humid climate.

17. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The good Professor at Weber St, who posts all those excellent Prius Instructional videos on YouTube, says we should always run the AC to help cool the traction battery.

I do, because I'm still a Prius rookie and have concerns about the L-ion staying cool. And I also live in a very warm area (85 degrees on Christmas!) See photo, at left. Nothing but dirt & wind. :ROFLMAO: And thirdly, I subscribe to the theory of "just drive it", so that's what I do, just like a regular car, and believe it or not I get my best MPG in PWR mode.

I tried the rest.... and PWR mode is the best. :cool:

But wait a minute, I don't have a Prime! :ROFLMAO: Sorry, guys. Put me on ignore. The Prime is a cool looking car... I like the looks much better than my regular Gen4.

18. cleverchimp

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You are right about AC and traction battery and if possible park in shaded area too. If I drive it like my other ICE car, I would be doing at least 70MPH when traffic is lighter, 75-80 MPH is the sweet spot :p. I have a new problem since driving Prime, I got tailgated A LOT more often (even at 70MPH+), usually from KIA/Hyundai or some beat up cars from early 2000.

19. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can’t immediately think of any reason *not* to enable the AC while charging, so I always say “yes” to that prompt. That being said though, I have yet to witness it actually fire up the air conditioner during charging. Then again, as you’re alluding here, I almost always charge in some form of garage, be it ours at home, the parking garage at work, or...

iPad ? Pro

#19 mr88cet, Sep 17, 2018
  20. cleverchimp

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yea, me too...although one time I accidentally say no lol, but never charged it @ my work anyway. You got yourself a perfect situation, mine it has to be under the weather at home and work, outdoor charging... speaking of that I'm in the process of installing L2 30AMP @ my home, Clipper Creek have LCS-30 and HCS-30, looks like the HCS series is more robust. The cost to DIY it is about $1k with permit, you can get $250-$500 back from the state/city.

mr88cet likes this.