1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lease buyout ??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Trestney, Dec 28, 2015.

1. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Around here the asking price for a 2012 with that kind of mileage is about $16000. Either buy another used Prius for $16000 or buy the used Prius from the finance company.

Used PiP also sell for around $15000. IMO, the better deal is to buy a used PiP. You'll get a bigger battery and maybe some more creature comforts for a bit less money.

If the choice is between the leased car you are driving and a PiP I'd choose the PiP for the improved fuel economy.

Paying $12600 for the lease and $16000 for the used car demonstrates why manufacturers and banks push leases.

minnyprius likes this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Next time you want to acquire a car, it should be via an outright purchase, unless the lease is subsidized (which sometimes is the case with luxury brands.) You paid >$0.51 per mile for your current lease which is pretty expensive for that three-year rental: $12,600 / 24,500 miles = $0.514

2. If you want a used Prius, it sounds like your lease buyout is similar to the price of other similar used Prius so you'd might as well do the buyout. Presumably the car was cared for and did not suffer any major accidents.

3. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2015 prius 2 can be had for 17700 in sacramento area for reference. I would negotiate the price of the buy out. See what a dealer would sell you a new one for and use that as a bargaining tool. They know they can't sell your car for much more and may negotiate it just to keep from adding it to the books and put it as a sale for the end of the quarter

Fone ?

4. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What you have already paid is meaningless. It's all about what the car is worth as it sits -- what you can buy it for -- and do you want it.

I have leased many cars and bought them at the end of term. I know that up front -- I get the longest competitive lease with the lowest miles per year that they will give me. Nothing down. Why? Results in the lowest outlay of money -- and if the car is stolen or totaled .. the gap pays off the loan (you want as little on the table as possible)

Leases are often subsidized -- it can be cheaper to lease. This was the case with my Lexus three months ago. I leased it and will buy at the end

Personally -- I don't see any benefit to a straight Prius lease ... especially if you don't drive many miles. Your paying a premium for MPG's and not using them. But ....that's another story.

What you now have to figure out is what is the leased car going to cost over the next 3-5 years after you purchased it? Currently Toyota is giving good deals on new ones .. and 0% for 5 years. The financing on a new one is worth 4k +.

mmmodem likes this.