1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lease turn-in Prius require LRR?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Skoorbmax, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Driving like a Grandma these last 30k miles I've still burned out all the tread on my Prius. That's because the OEM tires have terrible treadlife rating (320). I looked in the LRR thread and found a couple of sets of tires I wanted, but at this time they were unavailable at the price I wanted, so I'll be going for some non-LRR tires rated way longer in life than the Prius oem.

I know I'll take a mileage hit, but it should end up being a wash given how much longer these will last. However, if I do not keep this car and I do need to turn it in at lease, will Toyota ding me on these new tires (which will be the correct size and have lots of life left) not being LRR?

Please no guesses, I really need to know one way or the other :)

2. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would not think they would care if the tires were LRR or not. Mine does not have OE LRR tires while others on the lot did. Someone mentioned in another tire thread yesterday Toyotas only criteria for OE tires are black, round, and cheap. I would say if your going to give it back those criteria should be good for you to go by also.

3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  4. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just read this part I recon the only ways to know for sure would be thuroghly read your lease aggrement and or contact Toyota. Like I speculated earlier don't think it really matters.

5. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have heard of people being charged for new tires because they did not purchase tires with the same speed rating for their lease car. I don't know about LRR. The last FMCC and GMAC leases I had stipulated something like "factory equivalent tires" and I believe one of the guides mentioned speed rating. As stated already, read your lease carefully.

On my last Lincoln lease, I had a set of winter tires and wheels that saved tread on my factory tires. There was plenty of tread left when I turned the car in after 39 months and 45K miles.

On my last Cadillac lease, I knew the noisy Goodyear tires on the SRX wouldn't make it 48K miles. I bought a nice set of Michelins at about 28K miles, even though there was tread left on the GYs. I figured at least I'd get to enjoy the quiet of the Michelins for 20K miles before turning the vehicle in.