1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Least Welcoming Region -- is it the Pacific Northwest -- hope so -- LOL!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, May 1, 2019.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, in a totally non-related thread, a bit of a tet-de-tet cropped up about how Oregon may not exactly welcome folks from other areas -- especially from "Alta California."

Portland, OR — Let’s Wrench! | Page 3 | PriusChat

Some folks also mentioned that Washington was not exactly welcoming to newcomers. Seems to me that I always heard Texas was not a real welcoming place.

I ended up working a job in college for three-plus years in extreme Northeast Nevada and the folks always seemed quite fascinated with me and quizzed me about the oceans and all. In other words, no issues.

But, I know that one time a friend from California came to visit and we took her car to the coast from the Eugene, Oregon area and we got several horn blowing incidents as well as one "single finger salute" for no reason....

Thoughts....I thought not...HA HA>

Do any of you folks have ill-feelings toward invaders?
    kris

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not legal ones :cool:

3. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm sure you can find a**holes pretty much anywhere. Its just that if your in more heavily populated areas (I assume by PNW, what you really mean is the I5 corridor), you have a greater chance of running into them during an average day.

Also, anyone whose ever sat through an I5 traffic jam can empathize with the feeling of generalized road rage. I wouldn't judge any location based on the rudeness of their drivers.

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    As someone who has lived in the northeast (Pennsylvania), the south (Richmond, VA), the plains (Wichita, KS) and the Bay Area of California, I’ve seen almost all sides;).

I’ve found when moving to a new area to embrace the culture there and attempt to fit in as best you can and the adoption process is smoother:).

But the sentiment of those that live in an area for those that pass through shows the true culture:cool:.

And a couple of bad apples do ruin the bunch:(.

And I remember the bad apples in the PNW and have affected my perception of that area of the country. Not as bad as true “southerners”, but close:sick:.

bisco likes this.
  5. You mean the “away people”? That’s what they call them in Maine... :/

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Humans are fairly tribal critters.

So, other than as a traveling squid, and a camper I'm not that familiar with the Oregon....but here are my impressions from having spent probably a total of 2 months therein:

1. Portland isn't Oregon, and Oregon isn't Portland. I've been to both.
    I prefer Oregon.

B. Oregon has a significant percentage of 'halfbacks.' meaning on that side of the Rockies that people fled California for Washington or Idaho (depending on their social leanings...) and changed their mind....and made it half-way back before settling in OR.

III. Oregon is a bizarre milieu of rugged individualists, old hippies, militia types, over-educated types and folks who are functionally illiterate.
    It's a state where you can go almost as off-grid as Alaska, but where they didn't even let you pump your own gas at one point.

Four.
    Fun Facts: Oregon became one of the first US states to outlaw weed in 1923, and was THE FIRST US state to decriminalize pot in 1973.
    A comparable state back east would be New Hampshiah.

I've never met one single person in or from Oregon who wasn't warm and welcoming to an out-of-stater.....but I always traveled THROUGH Oregon or stayed briefly.

YMMV.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Extreme northeast Nevada reminds me of Tuscarora artists' colony.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    A very unexpected response - do people even know about Tuscarora?

I was only unwelcomed there by a wolf/dog hybrid who tended more towards the former. His human 'alpha' had very quick reactions though.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when i zoom in, there's nothing there

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    So their plan is working...

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    apparently. and i thought you couldn't fool google

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Dropping that subject :)

==
    I suppose least welcoming for this thread is entangled with matters of personal appearance.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you mean like not shaving for a few days?

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Uh, no.

==
    Maintaining US focus here, being shot at (or less luridly 'in the direction of') ought to qualify, and for me that short list includes CA and WY. US' Southeast has a reputation to uphold in that regard, but I think they don't take it real serious.

Usually.

Too bad about US focus. Many fine stories about unwelcoming and hyperwelcoming come from distant lands...

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ooooooooohhhhhh, okay.

17. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tuscarora, did research through that area. Many of the old Basque family ranches have been split and sold, but still wonderful country with wonderful people, though they do have a strong conservative bent.

18. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I participated in the previous thread.
    But I think I was misunderstood.
    I don't care or mind if Californians immigrate to Oregon. It's an open bordered free country. I welcome "people" as people. My own family came to Oregon in 1920 from Missouri, so 100 years later? Who am I to say people shouldn't come to Oregon?
    I like Oregon so much, I can't help but recommend it.

But I do think there are tangible truths. And the truth is a lot of Californians have moved to Oregon. With no derision, I would say it's fair to say, through discussion with several transplanted Californians, that a big reason many chose to transplant was to take advantage of cheaper real estate, and lower cost of living. To leave many of the problems now facing California as a state.

It's not with any malice or judgement that I say this population influx, has resulted in some actual change. It is resulting in real estate prices rising.

But I do not point this out with any negativity meant to be leveled at Californians that have decided to become Oregonians. Population growth, coming from California or otherwise, is inevitable. The idea that myself or anyone should blanket judge an entire incoming population is IMO ignorant and short sighted.

It is with sincerity that I say "Welcome to Oregon"....let's work together to continue to make it a great state.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can't stop the progress for this is happening worldwide. In anywhere or any place you go, I my opinion we may need to help those people that doesn't understand the tradition or culture especially if they plan to stay for a long period of time. A very good example is someone that's been parking in front of my house becoming frequently. One time I came home and I want to drop off but I cant park in the back of that car for I will end up in a yellow line and if I park on front, I don't have the heart to take my neighbors spot. So I kindly address this to my neighbor. Basically if that person would come here frequently, that person has to be informed that there are certain common courtesy and some HOA rules on city ordinance that they need to be aware of.
    In the other side too, I am very happy that Oregonians are lovers of nature beauty and preservation. I do care a lot even going to my future residence Oregon or other place. I have seen the rise and fall of California. I don't want to see that again.

#19 Classic Car Guy, May 4, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    now we all understand the problem of gentrification

Raytheeagle likes this.