1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leather or softex

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by taxidriver50005, Feb 1, 2017.

1. taxidriver50005

taxidriver50005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Not sure which seats I have here leather or soft, this is the only prius I've seen with perforated seat covering. Gen 3 t-spirit UK model.

Attached Files:

2. WolfpackBill

WolfpackBill Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If that's leather, it looks much nicer than my leather seats. I don't remember seeing stitching down the middle of the seat as well. Looks more luxurious than mine.

3. taxidriver50005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    That's what's got me, not seen another like it so curious to see what option it was

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    In general, the leather you get on a Prius has a hard shiny surface. Softex is, well, soft. A dealer -could- install better quality leather, of course. Easiest way to know for sure is to inspect the inside surface. Be aware, most "leather seats" are only leather on the centre panels. The side panels are "leatherette". Also they seem to impregnate Softex with leather smell. So no luck telling by smell.
    My Softex seats are not perforated. Though I think I will have to look again to be sure. ;)

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like a 10th Anniversary model.

That's leather.

SofTex doesn't come with perforations (at least as of 2017).

Bluegrassman likes this.
  6. taxidriver50005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Looked at one of those too and seats weren't perforated on the one I saw....... Confused

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh interesting.

Yeah over here, ours is perforated (for the 2010 and 2011 mode years with leather) but we do not have the additional stitching down the centre of the lower seatback and rear of the seat bottom. Also, our door panels are wrapped in a one-piece vinyl upholstery rather than split into 3 pieces like yours is in the photo.

[​IMG]

8. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's a matter of personal preference. Leather pretty much mandates heated seats (for cold days), and it's more work to clean. Fabric is more "durable" and "forgiving." If you want leather, go for it.

9. stephensprius

stephensprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    that looks like leather. my wife has soft-tex. I really love the soft tex.

10. KevinOceanside

KevinOceanside New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I love the look of the interior, but how do you keep it clean. Mine is a white with black interior. Every time I take my dog for a walk I end up with paw prints from dust or mud. Someone mentioned Armor-all. My wife suggested Scotchgard.

Any thoughts?

Kevin

11. CNYhybrid

CNYhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A good quality cleaner and conditioner are indicated. I don't care for the shiny look of Armor All and I'm not sure Scotch Guard is good for the surface.

12. taxidriver50005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Got to say this is the easiest car I've ever had to keep the interior clean, grey is much better than black for hiding dusk and muck

13. tonycd

tonycd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I haven't heard anybody else anywhere say this, and I'm putting on my flame suit, but:

Eff Softex. It's vinyl upholstery. Fake leather. Replacing leather with fake leather was a downgrade, full stop.

There's a reason why luxury cars offer real leather as their top trim level, and only recently have some of them started offering vinyl as standard equipment on the base model – most of them with an extra-cost upgrade available to real leather. Real leather is more breathable, feels different and wears differently. You can't convincingly fake the desirable aspects of leather seats any more than you can fake a leather bomber jacket with a PVC one. I'd choose the velour of a Prius Two over vinyl every time, and I'd emerge with a lot less sweat sticking me to my shirt.

I can see an argument for Toyota cutting costs on the upholstery in order to free up money for upgrades elsewhere in the car starting in 2013, such as Entune and a heads-up display. But don't insult my intelligence by saying it was for environmental reasons. One man's opinion, take it or leave it.

Markdizle likes this.
  14. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    For US spec cars, I think the 2010 and 2011 Priuses offered real leather on their higher trim lines. Starting in 2012, the leather was replaced by softtex. I have softtex in mine and is quite nice, easy to keep clean.(y)

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I beg to differ. They've been offering vinyl as standard equipment for well over 10 years (basically when people stopped buying their models with the cloth interiors, opting for the optional vinyl interior). It's not a recent phenomenon.

It's commonly marketed as "leatherette" and I'm sure some of you have heard of the term. It also falls under brand names such as MB-Tex, T-Tec, Artico and so on.

SofTex is actually lighter than real leather (when wrapping the interior into account) as well as reduction in VOC during production. Toyota has worked on SofTex to allow breathable properties (which vinyl doesn't have).

But yes, it's essentially plastic (vinyl).

Bay Stater likes this.
  16. tonycd

tonycd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Tideland, you're right about the German makers offering vinyl for a number of years, and I know that among those brands' buyers, it has its devotees. I reviewed a Jetta several years ago that had it, and they'd even fragranced it with leather smell. In calling this a recent development, I was speaking more about Lexus and Acura.

As for the weight, sure, leather is heavier. It's much thicker than a layer of vinyl -- it's genuine animal hide.

As for the environmental benefits, I'm not saying vinyl has none. But remember two things: The skins of all those Big Macs have got to go somewhere, and vinyl is a petroleum product.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh yes. I'm not a fan of NuLuxe. It felt rubbery to me (but others say it feels like leather. Different strokes I guess). Oddly, I find SofTex nicer to the touch but it depends on the model. The Prius c for example feels rubbery, like the NuLuxe on the CT200h. The RAV4 EV felt softer and a bit closer to leather than the SofTex on the Prius c.

I didn't know Acura started putting vinyl in their vehicles (aside from the seat sides/backs).

18. tonycd

tonycd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Amazingly (and not in a good way), Acura made vinyl standard on the full-size RLX. Quite a car, that RLX – compared to its predecessor, Acura deleted real wood, real leather and AWD while keeping the base price near $50k. But on the positive side, they made it unattractive enough to repel car thieves. :confused:

Bay Stater and Tideland Prius like this.
  19. taxidriver50005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Had an interesting conversation with my local dealer today and the guy I was speaking too remembers selling my car when it was new which is a hell on a achievement considering that was over 6 years ago, he even remembered the car reg number. when I asked him why he remembered that car he went on to explain that when they ordered it it had a strange option on the seats, if the car was nuvou grey in colour and you wanted it with leather the seats had to be perforated leather, the perforated leather seats where only available in that colour body.......... So that explains why I've never seen another one with leather perforated seats.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is very interesting. I wonder why that is so.