1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leather Seat Covers for base package pip?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by janie, Apr 29, 2012.

1. janie

janie 2016 Prius 3 Touring

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I'm considering getting leather seat covers for my pip base package, and wondered if anybody has used leather seat covers before, and what your thoughts about it are?

I heard that the cost is pretty similar (if I purchase from the Toyota service dept) to getting the leather installed.

Thanks for any input :)

2. o2cool

o2cool o2cool

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had my 2005 Prius (no factory leather available back then) outfitted with leather seats around 2007. The dealer (who subbed out the work) quoted me different numbers, but I eventually got it for less than they told me. I got it for $800 and they did a great job. These are not "seat covers". These are leather seats. All the way around. I was just quoted $2995 by the dealer for my brand new PIP. I said "Not now, maybe later". I find that buying options when new is often a bad deal. If I could get leather installed in a year for $1500 or maybe $1800, then I might do it. I would not pay any more than that. The base PIP ($32K MSRP) seats are pretty nice.

3. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you're looking for covers (slip-on), then I think you mean the Clazzios, right? There are lots of threads about them here and by all accounts, they seem to fit and look great. But I think they are considerably cheaper than going the Katzkins route (I want to say like $300-400, but its been a while since I looked into them).

Last I read (in this forum), was that they had not made a set for the 2012 PiP yet. There's an additional vent in the lower rear seat area behind the driver seat. If they covers dont make space for that vent, then that may affect your battery. So best to wait until there's confirmation from Clazzio that their covers work with the PiP.

Here are a couple of threads to check out:

http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-prius-plug-in/105708-how-much-aftermarket-leather.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-prius-plug-in/103381-no-clazzio-seat-covers-pip.html

4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The center console lid cover is also different in 2012.

5. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Many of us who bought through Dianne at Carson Toyota also had leather installed through her dealership. The price was $1200+ (depending on options, such as 2 tone, perforation, etc). The installation required the removal of the factory seat fabric and the leather was installed in its place. It also included the center arm rest and the door inserts. If you search Priuschat for "katzkins" you'll see that lots of fellow PCers go this route.

here's a picture of my passenger seat.. most people who ride in my car think its factory leather

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You might also check out the Clazzio seat covers, seems to be a relatively straight forward DIY install and nice results!

7. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    It's a very nice look, if we only new what merchandise the dealer's installers had use....

8. janie

janie 2016 Prius 3 Touring

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thanks all for your input - this morning I decided I would go with the Leather Install for 1200, my dealer says there is a 3 year warranty on it :)

9. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Although it was never confirmed (actually, I never asked either), I'm almost certain the dealers install Katzkin leather kits. The color options all seem to match what Katzkin offers and the kits look like exactly what Katzkin offers.

There's a YouTube video about Katzkin, the company, when they were interviewed by the local news station. They mentioned they work direct with a lot of car dealerships (since the 80s!), which would make sense.

Actually, here is the video if anyone cares to take a look

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a2XTYFwetY"]Katzkin Leather On ABC News - YouTube[/ame]