1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leather seats, some questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Bookish Guy, May 10, 2018.

1. Bookish Guy

Bookish Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm considering DIY leather seat covers for up front only for a Prius 2015 Two. The main reason is that heat for winter time is a real bonus. And independent heaters are okay but the permanent seat covers seem more durable. So..some questions:

1. Clazzio seems to be the go-to leather seat cover of choice here. Not sure where they are made. Is it in Japan? The websites appear to be distributors...are there preferred places for sale in the USA? Are there sales that come up on this website or elsewhere? I found that only Amazon had a front seats only offering and that was for a specific color and it is not available at this time. I don't want rear seats to be covered.
    2. Heaters can be, I think, applied to either the existing seats and then covered, or applied to the leather seat covers and then "slipped or struggled" on. Yes? No? Heaters can be simply plugged into the auxiliary 12v. outlet in between seats (which seems simple enough) or wired in (which seems complicated). How to wire in might be complicated unless someone can provide guidance....
    3. Cost seems to be about $300 for the leather covers. Any better prices? Independent heaters can be purchased on Amazon for for much more can be had from Clazzio distributors. Any problems with independent heaters? Better pricing? Suggestions on where to go?
    4. Leather color appears to be the choice, of course, of the buyer, but a color matching the existing darkish-blue-gray of the cloth seat would work best I think. Opinions?
    5. And lastly, are leather seats really worth it? Are they more comfortable? I suspect they look nice, but does the body say "Ahhh, yes!" when it get in the Prius? Or does it say "Ouch, that was a waste of money"?
    Thanks for reading this. Hope there'll be some guidance.

2. Eric Hehs

Eric Hehs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought full set of katzkin leather on eBay recently for $250. Installed myself which saved me at least $500. Took two full days and not easy. But they look great. Not covers. These replace the original leather or fabric. You need hog ring pliers and a ton of patience. My hands hurt thinking about the installation. Worth it but not sure I’d do it again.

3. Eric Hehs

Eric Hehs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My car already had heated seats btw.