1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leather Z door armrests Installed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Penny's Dad, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sooo...I finally got around to installing the Leather Z door armrests.

Photo of what comes in the Kit....2 door armests 2-wipes set of instructions...all wrapped in padded shipping bag.

2. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lets try a different way to post these pictures...

3. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If anyone can show me how to do this without going through Photobucket..I welcome the instruction.

4. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ahhhh figured it out myself...smug satisfaction...grinning from ear to ear...

This is the kit....

[​IMG]

this is the back....
    [​IMG]

Here it is installed....
    [​IMG]
    The padding is truly pro grade...very comfortable...Leather is top quality...color and finish are great. I would purchase again...

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  5. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Forgot to mention...Kit is $50.00 USD plus shipping ($7.00 USD in my case). The guy making these is really easy to deal with.

6. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you have a link? I googled "Leather Z door armrests" and didn't find any for a Prius.

7. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was hoping you were showing a set of arm rest that can raise the height of the arm rest on the doors, but doesn't look like it raises more than an inch. sigh! Anyways, do they come in different colours to match the car's interior colour?

8. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do these install as easy as simply sticking to the original fabric? Are you confident that they will stay on? I'd wonder about staying power at cold temps in the northern winter.

9. sdetweil

sdetweil New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I want to raise the door arm rest too.. everyone comments on no place to rest their arm.. passenger or driver

Sam

10. Erin Rothchild-Realtor

Erin Rothchild-Realtor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Would love to have these... the fabric armrests in my vehicle have been cleaned and recleaned .. please, pretty please, send link where to find these?

11. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just go to www.leatherz.com

They are right there under door armrests...I worked hard getting the measurements from the guy to confirm that these armrest (originally designed for the Z3) would fit...sure enough they do.

The 3m tape that secures these to the door is scary strong. The fabric will tear off before the armrests do...though I am certain a determined 6 year old could do some damage...

They are about 5/8" high. So sorry they don't raise the door armrests to match the center but they do prevent the fabric from wearing and they do feel NICE...

12. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They do have several other colors including red and grey but I used Black. The guy is super easy to work with and would probably work with you on color (though I don't know that as a fact).

13. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Yes I just cleaned the fabric with the alcohol wipes and stuck them down on the fabric...(I did not use soap on to clean the site as called for in the instructions since I understand these were originally intended to secure to plastic)...They are tight right now...

Know nothing about cold temps but you could as the guy at Leather Z. This tape from 3m is one that I do not recognize....

14. gpt

gpt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Question: The fabric won't wear out but will definatelt get damaged when you rty to remove the tape.

Correct?

15. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lest we forget, the door armrest is the same height as the center arm rest unless you raise the drivers seat. If we want an adjustable height front seat, the two arm rests can't always be at the same height.

16. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After living with these for a day I am convinced that they will not come off. It will certainly rip the fabric...The way I see it they are for the life of the interior. When I am ready to remove them (should I buy at the end of the lease)...I would probably be ready to redo the interior in leather. They look factory. No one I have shown them to thinks they are aftermarket...they just assumed they came with the car.

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh? What does adjustable seat height have to do with fixed height armrests? I lower the 2010 seat all way down and the door armrest is still an inch low for me (and many I imagine, they're just too shy or 'PC' to say).

anyrate...

The 2010 Prius driver's (and passengers) door armrest is very close to 3/4" lower than the center console armrest. Would be unusable for me. If you really want to know, just take a yardstick, level and small ruler, see for yourself.

In the 2004-09 Prius, the door armrest is about 1/4" higher than the center console's, so the 3rd Gen's is overall an inch lower than the old Prius'.

** Not to pee on the thread, but some did express concern over thickness of the Leather Z offerings. **

When renting, I hopped over to Bob's foam factory in Fremont where a tech showed me some neoprene 1" thick (which is expensive) and some other very dense stuff he called 'Crosslink'.

So, I got an experimental 1" thick piece of Crosslink for $1.50 and stuck it onto the 2010 armrest using double sided duct tape. It held on very well. Pretty certain it would have held tight for a long time. It came off the fabric easily when returning the car. I don't know what duct tape might do to a leather armrest.

Here's a picture. It basically looks like junk, but that's not to say it can't be reshaped and covered.

050705 160.jpg

Now, why does Toyota keep making these blunders?

I have also noticed the roof liner curves upward, but then it comes back down into the headroom space (and this the non-sunroof version) right where my head would be in the car, thereby reducing the headroom which is less than a fist width, or not sufficient (and yes that's with seat fully lowered). So, I don't get how some 6'4"+ people are claiming to fit 'just fine' in this new Prius. It doesn't add up as I'm 6'2".

I wish Honda would build a car that really competes with the Prius, or just join forces with Toyota and produce a car that has the best traits of both companies, you know, practicality and agility, more fun to drive factor.

18. sdetweil

sdetweil New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    the order page says the installation is permanent.. so YES there will be damage if you try to remove them

San

19. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ** Not to pee on the thread, but some did express concern over thickness of the Leather Z offerings. **

I am certain Andy with Leather Z would be willing to make the armrests thicker or even customize them further if you supplied the template. High quality upholstering is an art/skill set that very few practice really well (though there are some people who may think their stuff is great).

So I am smart enough to know I cannot make armrests myself or otherwise believe me I would try.

I wanted to try the Leather Z product and I am glad I did.

20. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I wonder if they have something similar for the center armrest?

I must have tender elbows!!!