1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leaving car "on" unattended, but secure?

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by Onlooker, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Onlooker

Onlooker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Technology
    I've read a lot of threads about this, but would just like others to chime in more specifically on what they do or how it works for them.

I have a dog that must stay home unattended/miserable or be left in the car periodically. I also travel in cold/hot climates. The laws about dogs in car vary by state but I'll use one I know somewhat... Florida allows dogs/animals in the car unattended but also, it's illegal to endanger an animal; Which of course it is, on a sunny/hot day after a given amount of time/temperature... Please forgo all the usual warnings/don't do that, etc. etc. as I love my dog and have a good understanding of thermodynamics to not endanger the animal.

What is the best method for leaving the cars heating/cooling on, with doors locked, but still if a passing thief smashed the window, climbed in, couldn't drive away?

I've heard methods of leaving wireless key in the car and using physical door key to lock doors, but that would seem to allow someone to drive away. Is that true, or does the car computer not allow that to happen until it registers the mechanical key unlocking the door?

Leaving car on, and taking the wireless key would seem to leave car running but car will only beep/warn there's no key present and still allow person to drive away until it's first/stop/powered down...

Is the only method a remote car starter and pre-set the temperature setting? It seems at least some of them have the technology to turn off before being able to drive again.. or rather, after remote starting it requires a power cycle before driving once you get in the car again. Specific 3rd party remote starters you know will accomplish this?

Suggestions?

P.S. I also leave a note in my windshield saying the dog is fine, has water, my cell phone# and that I'll be back in xminutes.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Remote starter and then be sure the auto shutoff can be set long enough to avoid killing your dog. Probably want one of the better cell enabled units.

Onlooker likes this.
  3. Onlooker

Onlooker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Technology
    I wonder if they make models without an auto-shutoff; None of the remote starters I've owned in the past had one!

Maybe a separate key on what I presume would be a control wire to the shifter lever or lock in park.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Someone still might bust out a window, not knowing the car is on?

This doesn't seem a good idea to me, mostly just a vague unease about what might happen.

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When my son bought his Prius v he specifically bought it with remote start. He sometimes has hos dogs at outdoor agility trials and he can leave them in the car with the air conditioning running. His salesman found out that factory remote start was cheaper than port installed.
    Many people at these events leave the animals with the covered back hatch open with battery fans blowing to try & keep the animals cool.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    (I have a Gen 3, not 4, but anyway, Gen 3 works like this): The car has to be READY for the A/C to run.

The good news is, once it is READY, you can take the fob with you; there is no need to leave it in the car. The car will stay READY until turned off.

But the car will try very hard not to let you lock all the doors while it is READY. It won't listen to the fob buttons at all, and if you lock the driver door from outside with the mechanical key, the car will unlock it again.

Reaching in through the open window, locking the door from the inside controls, then letting the window auto-close, seems to work.

Returning to the car, only the mechanical key will unlock it.

The bad news is, even if you've taken the fob with you, the car is READY, and as long as it's READY, it can be driven away by anyone who breaks in. They won't get another chance if they turn it off, but as long as they don't turn it off, I'm not aware of any limit on how far they can drive it.

Some kind of hidden kill switch to defeat the shifter or park actuator seems like the most promising idea I can think of.

Onlooker likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Without triggering a warning taking it out of READY mode?

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's the mission, should you choose to accept it.

9. Onlooker

Onlooker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Technology
    Yes there are a lot of different people out there... If I can secure the Prius v and keep it 'on/READY', I'll be able to add more detail to the note("A/C is ON, DOG has H20 and is fine: Back shortly. ###-###-####). Dog just sits happily, watching/waiting for my return; when a stranger stops and 'checks on her' she gets agitated and excited; which makes the stranger more concerned. Up north or in the cold this is generally not a problem for the vast majority; danger mostly being the sun/heat. I make 2200 mile trips usually unaccompanied(except by dog). gas stations/rest areas, stepping into store for < 10 minutes.. I have had the police called once(walked up to lady as she called; I'm away briefly!), and it's largely unavoidable leaving dog for some periods.

I confess I would love to be able to leave the dog safe and comfortable for longer to see/do a few things I couldn't otherwise while passing through(pickup some items in store, take a dip(no dogs allowed), quick attraction). IMO Leaving dog behind is far less humane with separation anxiety, and quality of kennels/etc.

Plan C:
    planb.jpg

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Get a Tesla with Dog mode? :D

The Electric Me likes this.
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How do the onlookers know when your Tesla is in Dog Mode?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    People kinda laughed at Tesla's "dog mode".
    But people love to travel with their pets, and safety and comfort when they are left in a vehicle is important.

My Dad is retired, and takes his dogs to parks for walks, vets, groomers, something called "Doggie Daycare".
    But he seldom, really never leaves the dogs unattended in the vehicles. So I really have no answer.

I would say, of course safety and comfort of the animal is paramount, and if the animal is going to be unattended for any significant length of time so is some way of letting concerned passerbyers that the animal is fine and not in any danger.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is why the pet should only be transported safely in an anchored crate in the car, not running loose or harnessed in place.

15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, My Dad let's the smartest dog drive.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So, leaving the Prius climate-control on, with a cheap tablet in view showing a temperature reading, ought to be about as effective at keeping the windows unsmashed (unless somebody smashes one to take the tablet).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would want the tablet, especially if it was a 12.9” Ipad Pro with cellular. However most of the apps only pickup outside temps from servers with perhaps a few that measures the ipads battery temp which has at least a 30 minute thermal lag from a dramatically increased ambient. I suppose someone could modify an OBD2 app to pick out live data and provide cell alerts when the system shutdown which would more closely emulate Tesla’s dog mode.
    312EECF2-40BE-41CB-827C-D1C7449CAEA4.jpeg

18. Onlooker

Onlooker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Technology
    Depending on angle of the sun, a cheaper option might be to just leave a $1 plastic thermometer in the window with the note.

Audible alarm/blow horn if internal temp goes above a set temp. in-case AC fails...

Tablet internal temperature is almost always higher than ambient, but should AC be off and car in the sun, yes the air might heat up more first, and take a minute or two to catch up; However the heat transfer times into animal tissue(water) is much higher also...

If it helps, I disable airbags(It's a fuse on my s10, haven't looked into it in for Prius yet) and don't wear a seatbelt myself... ;p

Any technical guys want to take a guess on best wire to install a key/switch to disable the car from driving/moving while remaining 'ready'/AC on? Lots to choose from I'm sure, but which won't throw error/crash anything?

I prefer to sleep in car vs hotels(Anything affordable is a literal fleabag), dog is great companion for the drive, and at night growls at anyone looking in the windows.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, if the tablet can display the "room temp" from the A/C ECU, that would be about ideal. The sensor is in the dash, in a tube connected to the HVAC blower, so it is always actively sampling the inside air.

20. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would imagine you would have to disable the Drive/Reverse switch but its networked as is most everything. I would go with the Remote Start setup to shutoff when the door opens. Even those may require an ecu reflash in some cases and or soldering leads to the ecu. Apparently Viper is a leader in these products. They allow cell connections but you pay for that service monthly. On a Prius v they require connection into the Prius network and also get a connection from the D shifter.
    81FF53A6-4DE0-4F06-BD00-2907A261256E.jpeg

#20 rjparker, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019