1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leaving car "on" unattended, but secure?

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by Onlooker, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Onlooker

Onlooker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Technology
    I wrote one maker of a remote start to see if the auto-off can be changed/disabled; Will try the others that I can find. I also wonder if a wired switch could be installed in place of a remote starter, to leave car 'ready'/AC-heat on and require a cycle and key to actually drive away. Depends what sort of communications are relayed with the remote starter and cars computer.

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just checked with my son. He got Remote Air Conditioning.
    In 2015 it was packaged with remote start. He thought some years it was a separate option.

3. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't forget to connect in the radio!

[​IMG]

4. Onlooker

Onlooker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Technology
    Update:
    Q/A with seller suggests this model can be reprogrammed to stay on indefinitely; The hardware/software needed to do this seems to be $50 more(
    ).
    Looking up the kit's contents suggest the real meat/brains of the device is $50 part which you might be able to largely bypass the 'remote start kit'.

Toyota Prius V 2014 Push-to-Start | Remote starter, bypass module and alarm system | Fortin
    Fortin - EVO-ALL - Universal All-In-One CAN Bus Data Interface And Transponder | eBay

On the plus side, while someone could still technically break and climb through a window, and start driving; Apparently using the brakes kills it also; not going to get very far w/o brakes... I wonder if 'power steering' use could be set to power car down also... ;p

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It looks like a repackaged Viper system. All of these are wired into the car's network (CAN Bus) and have to include vehicle specific firmware/software in order to emulate the factory remote start. It's interesting the Viper version with the "T Cable" is actually less than the equivalent MPC knockoff. Of course MPC is selling self install instructions where Viper requires a professional installer which would add labor. Overall these are almost identical solutions except MPC has preloaded Prius v compatible software while the Viper version requires the certified installer to load the firmware. viper vs mpc remote start.jpg